Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Walker Cole
Any updates on this? Having the same debate between Original Cabin and Cabin Plus - usually flying economy.
The only problem I see is when there's a last minute airplane change. Happened to me a few months ago but I so happened to bring my briggs &riley international smaller version (THANK GOD), I had to gate check it. I tried my best trying to fit it in the overhead...just wouldn't fit. They took it off the plane and from my seat I saw the guy outside throw it on the aluminum shoot and and it slid all the way down to the pavement, did a couple of rolls and somebody eventually picked it up. If that was a Rimowa, it's would have been trashed. However, my Rimowa is the Cabin S so I'm sure it would have fitted. But, I would be terrified to buy a cabin original or cabin plus as I don't want any dings and scratches on it. Good luck!
Old May 20, 2021, 8:08 am

Just checking back in on this after a few years. I've continued to travel (albeit less) during the pandemic and have still not had a single issue carrying it on. To reiterate, the only difference between this bag and a "regulation" one is the width, not the depth. So it has no impact on the ability of an overhead compartment door to close, which would be the catalyst in requiring it to be checked. I have subsequently purchased a second bag for my wife.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:23 am

Has anyone had an issue with these in the space bins -- ie the overheads that have you turn the bag on their side? I am curious if they fit that way.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:55 pm

billycwhatup Which size did you end up getting? I got the Cabin Plus but it looks huge to be a carry-on....
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:06 pm

I have a Rimowa cabin and cabin plus here staring at me and I’m still considering which one to choose.

Just checking in again to see if anyone has ever had an issue with airline staff checking the dimensions of the Cabin plus and not allowing it on board? How about on any European flights between countries?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:42 am

Nice to meet a fellow OCD traveler. Flying US domestically you learn to pack light and be ready to check at all times. My Rimowa is a few decades old. Though like you said, I only use it on newer 737s, or any wide body domestic (which is rare). When I am on the Embraers or Bombardiers commuters I carry a soft sided bag I shove up top. On the Airbus models i bring it as long as i am in First Class. If l switch last minute and end up on couch I just gate check like you mentioned.

I've replaced about everything on the case, and even had it bent back into shape once (tire track over it). The service center in New York has never been an issue and is surprisingly cheap. I had thought about replacing it for newer model but this thing has been around the world a few times, and more than I can remember domestically.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:46 pm

I got the Cabin Plus (and have subsequently gotten one for my wife and one as a gift). I am back to traveling very regularly and have still never had an issue. They are wider than a normal bag but it’s never been a problem. I would estimate 100+ segments at this point, at least 90% were on narrow-body and regional jets.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Most of my flights in Asia and some in Europe are pretty strict on 7kg carryon limit. An aluminum Rimowa (or any aluminum bag) weighs nearly that much empty. What is the practicality?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Wife and I dropped into a Rimowa store while in Oahu last week just to look. I used to travel 90% of the year (pre-COVID) and expect to be going back to at least 50% eventually so I've always admired others who had these fancy Rimowa carryons during my travels. I just simply dropped my jaw when the sales person told me the standard carryon was over $1k US. Honestly, while the aluminium looks like, there aren't any amazing/incredible features or what not that I could see that make it better than my trusty Tumi Alpha that has lasted for the last 4 years and still looks new. I gather that even if you're careful, there are going to be some interesting dings and dents on these aluminum models.

I agree with the above comment... they are already decently weighted empty -- once you stuff it with what you need for a week -- I could see it getting weighty... but anyhow, to each their own. I'll just admire from afar and put my money towards a new Tumi Alpha for my birthday coming up.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
I recently forked down $1265 on the Rimowa Cabin Plus in the Silver color after much debate between the Cabin vs. Cabin Plus. I am "upgrading" from the Tumi Aluminum Collection which I still think is a better looking bag over the Rimowa, but it is simply way to small for a 3 day trip especially when it's winter and you're packing a couple of sweaters. I'm taking my first flight with the Rimowa Cabin Plus and hoping for no issues. When I got the bag, my immediate reaction is that it is way too big but as other posters have said, it's all in the extra width but the depth is fine.

Btw, even with the silver color and even if you never check the bag, you will still get noticeable scratches on the bag. No way around that, but it will definitely blend in more compared to getting the black or the titanium color where the scratches will show as a silver color.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Clocking my fifth post before I can share my photo of Original cabin on the overhead compartment. Meanwhile a Plus will fit if it’s placed flat to accommodate it’s width.

I have a Briggs CX 22” which I use as a carry-on from time to time and never been asked to check it though I wouldn’t mind if required. The Rimowa is intended for carry-on only thus I won’t need the Plus.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Here is the Original Cabin in the overhead of A350-900:

Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:04 pm

I just completed two trips with my Rimowa Cabin Plus and had no issues. The bag fits perfectly flat length-wise in the overhead bin of the A321 leaving room for other passengers smaller soft sided bags to be placed on top.

I’m extremely happy that I opted for the Plus because it has plenty of space and I never have to worry about stuffing all my gear into a smaller suitcase.
Adelphos and bizum like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Platinum Tier
Just went thru this thread and about to purchase a new carry on. I travel mostly international so Im getting the Plus. However, I really want a black one but am a bit concerns about scratches. I just feel like a black one is a little more stealthy and doesnt screem rimowa at everyone - which i like. Does anyone have any experience with scratches showing on a black one vs silver?

f./
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by friskygeek
Does anyone have any experience with scratches showing on a black one vs silver?
/

I recently bought the silver color Cabin plus. What’s sealed the deal from me is when I went into the store and they showed me a black version that had been handled just in the store for demo purposes. The amount of visible scratches on that was unbelievable. The reality is that if you use this bag for weekly travel even if you never check the bag please understand that you will see scratches on the bag It’s not just about whether or not it gets scratched up by putting it in overhead bin but all the wear and tear from general handing - taxi, placing it trough the security scanner, putting it in hotel floors, luggage racks, etc.
dragoncat, Salter5 and friskygeek like this.

Last edited by 1K-DFW; Jul 15, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.