Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Dash mount phone holder for rental cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have a good recommendation for a phone holder than can be easily mounted on the dash of a rental car, and that doesn't take up too much room in luggage? A product ideal for a user who flies in and rents a car in a new city every couple of weeks?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I always travel with this guy:
Amazon Amazon

Not the best car cradle, but definitely the best car cradle I've found for travel: super light and I've yet to rent a car I couldn't get it to mount in.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I use the
Nite Ize Steelie Nite Ize Steelie
in my own vehicles. The little ball is unobtrusive and offers a lot more mounting options than just stuck to the dash or windshield. I have one of these in every vehicle. And since the magnet mounts to the phone/case itself, when I'm on the motorcycle, the magnet holds my phone to the gas tank without issue, meaning I don't have to have a handlebar mount either.

When I travel and need rental cars then, all I need is the
Steelie Vent Mount Steelie Vent Mount
which is ridiculously small (I can carry it in my pocket once through security if I really need to, but it sits in a pocket on my backpack and takes up almost no space at all). It mounts to the vent, and I've used it in many different cars around the country on trips with no problems at all.

Also, because half the mount is a fairly strong magnet on the phone itself, I have a pretty handy mount anywhere else. In the gym it will stick to most of the equipment or racks when I'm exercising, in the kitchen it sticks to my vent hood so I can easily see recipes I've looked up and it's out of the way, when I'm at work I usually stick it to a metal can on my desk that holds USB sticks and stuff so I can quickly see what song is currently streaming, when working on the car, same deal, it will stick to a fender out of the way and is still easily accessible.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

We use the
WizGear mount WizGear mount
that clicks into the vent of a car. We have one in every vehicle. Our phones have a magnet on the back of them. I have a car pack with a WizGear, a cigarette charger with 2 USB ports, and a cable so that I can charge in the car.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by gt_croz
I always travel with this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not the best car cradle, but definitely the best car cradle I've found for travel: super light and I've yet to rent a car I couldn't get it to mount in.
I have the same one in my bag for travel, and it generally works well. It was a total fail in a rental Jeep Wrangler, though. The circular vents just flopped closed or to the side whenever I tried it. But otherwise, it's a good choice.

Keith
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
i use this. light, easy to pack, holders anything without slipping
Amazon Amazon
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all -- in a moment of kismet, one of the vent-mounted phone holders showed up on the freecycle table in my apartment building this evening. If I hadn't clicked through the links you all sent, I would never have recognized it for what it was.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I use this in my car at home. It works well. You need a CD player though.

Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by N1120A

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Unive...techi+cd+mount
There's a tech support joke about cup holders in there, somewhere...

Interesting idea for a mount location though.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
There's a tech support joke about cup holders in there, somewhere...

Interesting idea for a mount location though.
It fits perfectly in my M4
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:25 am

Maybe not the most compact for traveling but the motorized clamp and wifi charging is pretty neat. I don't own this but my cousin does and she drives a ton all over LA for client meetings. She loves it.
​​​​​​VANMASS Wireless Car Charger, Auto-Clamp Qi Car Mount, 10W/7.5W Fast Charging & Standard 5W Charger, Windshield Dashboard Air Vent Phone Holder Compatible with iPhone X/8/8 Plus, Samsung S9 S8, Note 9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKY5LSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UbRuCbTFD4TER
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by N1120A

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Unive...techi+cd+mount
I use one like this at home too as it works well with my car, and gives me full access and control of my air vents, but it's not great for travel. A lot of newer rental cars have no CD player slot at all, so getting one that mounts on air vents is the way to go now.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
I keep a spare air vent button magnet in the back pocket of my B&R roller along with an Aukey dual USB flat plug and 2 Anker lightening cables. Typically an Anker MacBook charger and usb-C cable for it. All packs down well with extra room.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Magnetic-Strong-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07HMQJ66P/ref=sr_1_45?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1549118536&sr=1-45&keywords=Magnetic+phone+mount https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Magnetic-Strong-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07HMQJ66P/ref=sr_1_45?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1549118536&sr=1-45&keywords=Magnetic+phone+mount

Amazon Amazon

Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I always travel with this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just picked this one up in my never ending quest to shed space and weight from my travel bag. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the grip is nice and tight on my phone! Thanks for the head sup.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use a
similar one similar one
that's less than $5 so you can keep a few spares around at home and if you forget it in a car you don't feel bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.