Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why do luggage manufacturers make oversized bags?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm researching new large checked bags and so many of the 28" (ish) bags from long-time luggage companies like Samsonite and Delsey seem to seem to be 2-3" over the 62 linear-inch threshold for checked bags, usually because of wheels and handles. Has anyone run into any problems checking such bags? I'm sure than 95% of the time the bag drop agent won't even notice, but I'd be very annoyed if one day I get hit with an oversized bag fee. Do airlines actually count wheels when determining the overall checked bag size?

A few companies (Rimowa, for one) seem to get it and stay within limits, but I was looking at the Samsonite Tru Frame line, for example, and the 28" model has overall dimensions including wheels of about 65 linear inches (and sadly the 25" is a bit too small for my needs). Same for many other models from Samsonite and many other brands.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a market for large bags and people quite willing to pay the eye-popping over-size bag fees for air travel and perhaps they use the bags for travel in their own vehicle or other modes where size is less or unimportant.

If there were not such a market, nobody would manufacture bags of that size. Supply is based on demand.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

I can see that, but we're talking *just* oversized, not massively oversized, and there are so many low-price bags from so many well know manufacturers that fall into this category that I find it hard to believe they're all chasing the fee payers. Plus, they're marketed using the body size (under 62" linear) not the overall size. It's only when you read the specs that you find out the wheels actually put them over the 62" limit. Samsonite calls them 28" bags, for example, but in reality the longest side is actually 31" including wheels. Samsonite also sells plenty of larger bags (31" without wheels) that are clearly oversized. I assumed those are targeting the fee payers.

Surely the market for people who want a bag that is the maximum allowable size is a bit bigger than the market for people happy to pay $100 to check an oversize bag.

Last edited by wordfool; Nov 20, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you've seen the data, I will defer to you. All one can say is that retailers don't stock items they can't sell.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Same goes with carry-on bags... all airlines have their own set of dimension requirements and vary between 38 linear inches to 50 linear inches (give or take another inch or two as I'm not keeping track of all). So I would think that the manufacturers of such products aren't going to make a product to match every airline... but rather find that "near" match somewhere in the middle.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: *G
beside some of the reasons given above, luggages aren't just used for air travel
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Same goes with carry-on bags... all airlines have their own set of dimension requirements and vary between 38 linear inches to 50 linear inches (give or take another inch or two as I'm not keeping track of all). So I would think that the manufacturers of such products aren't going to make a product to match every airline... but rather find that "near" match somewhere in the middle.
Airlines almost universally have a 62" linear limit for checked baggage though, so not really a good comparison to carry-on bags.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:22 pm

I am also frustrated by this issue, and amazed how many checked bags' measurements come out to just a bit over the "magic number" of 62 inches. Do the manufacturers just assume people will get frustrated by the lack of choices and take their chances with the bag that adds up to 63 inches? I must admit it is tempting, rather than buying a 25 inch bag when I really wanted the 29 inch one.....arrgh.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
I'd think there's a market for these sizes for people that frequently travel on trains and cruises.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:01 am

I finally called Travelpro to see what's up. When asked about why most of their 29 inch bags are "nonconforming" in terms of the airline magic number of 62 inches, a situation that the phone rep was well aware of, I was told they are making bags for people who travel by car or go on cruises, so they don't think the 62 inch thing matters much.
When I pointed out that most people who go on cruises end up flying to the cruise start, she explained that Travelpro is based in Florida, so that's where the decision-makers are (that is their product design & marketing people). The way they see things, lot of cruises start in Florida ports, and they are aware of people driving for those cruise starts..... I call it Florida myopia myself!

BUT not to plug Bed Bath and Beyond, it turns out they sell a conforming bag made by Travelpro as a 'private label item' for them, and it sounds from my conversation with her like that one is conforming (which I confirmed with a phone rep at BBB). The Travelpro rep also told me the Walkabout line they make as a private label thing for Macy's is conforming, but I checked the measurements for that online and in the store -- and it isn't. So

Here is the BBB product, which is a bargain right now -- I just ordered it myself for a trip next week, so hopefully it is THE solution. It doesn't have the dual wheel feature that I would have liked but OTOH the price is great since it's on closeout!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...skuId=46103789
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think the real answer is that manufacturers just don't think about it enough. Sure, there is a market for larger bags, but ones that are just an inch or two over the limit scream of bad planning. Even if they are chasing the market for car/train/cruise travel, they should realize that a small tweak in production size could easily open up a much wider market. I have the same issue with companies that manufacture products like sunscreen in tubes that are just over the 100ml carry-on limit.

Of course, most purchasers probably don't research this as much as those of us on FT, so they will buy a bag and find out the consequences later. That probably explains alot of the folks we see with oversize carry-on bags. I'm sure they're not all doing it to intentionally abuse the system - they just bought a cheap bag that looked to be about the right size.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I think the comparison of carry-on and the larger 28/29/30/31 inch cases is relevant here. I don't think the luggage companies would ever admit this publicly, but it is simply because the customer will always pick the bigger case. I.e. if you are at the luggage store (or the department store, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc.), and you see 2 models in the same size range, you will pick the one that has more capacity (all else being equal...brand-recognition, appearance, color, design). Most people don't know or are concerned about luggage size restrictions at airlines, and the luggage sellers are not incentivize to tell the truth. It also doesn't help that 99% of the time, the airlines don't enforce the size limit.

Myself, I do a lot of shopping for heavy stuff (toys, books) when I travel to Asia, and the weight limit is usually my limiting factor, so I try to buy a ~26 to 27" case that expands when needed. I know that some 27" cases go pass the 62" linear size limit when expanded...

Another consideration is that these larger 31" cases are difficult to fit in a smaller car, including some taxi (especially ones with propane conversion tanks in the trunk). When you have 2 people travelling with a 31" case each, there is a good chance one of the case is sitting with/on you in the backseat.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:15 pm

A few years ago COSTCO released a Kirkland checked bag (Samsonite) which was over 62", counting wheels and handle. I called and spoke to the buyer. She said airlines, for checked bags, don't count wheels and handles. She said airlines are concerned with weight. She said she never had an issue, or heard of anyone who had an issue, with a bag which only exceeded 62" if you count wheels and handles.

I decided I didn't want to buy a bag for future use which might have issues.

I did check several airlines. My memory was almost half the airlines I checked specifically excluded wheels and handles in calculating size. Obviously some include wheels and handles.

PP is right, customers are looking for the biggest bag.

A few luggage companies are selling bags which list interior "packing" dimensions. JMO but that's looking for trouble.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: M/M
Because luggage isn't meant just for air travel?
TPACjv likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Also not every airline checks. I've never had my bags measured except for a ski bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.