Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimova after LVMH takeover: Revised brand names and higher prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimova after LVMH takeover: Revised brand names and higher prices?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:37 pm

You want to play, you need to pay is all there is to it..! If this is not for you , you can easily snag some wal mart 20.00 rollers ...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: M/M
When do you use your 45L Limbo trolley pieces?

There are several Topas 45L, on-sale, in my area, but I know it exceeds the dimensions for carry-on with all the airlines I use.

Nice color palette, btw
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
When do you use your 45L Limbo trolley pieces?

There are several Topas 45L, on-sale, in my area, but I know it exceeds the dimensions for carry-on with all the airlines I use.

Nice color palette, btw
We use the 45L on long haul flights from Detroit to Seoul, then from Seoul to Colombo, Sri Lanka on Delta and Korean Air and never have had a word said to us about them. You do have a bit of a time lifting them up and getting them situated in the overhead bin..
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Re the public transport. Set down a 2-wheeler and a 4-wheeler as you normally would on their wheels and leave them alone, don't touch the handle. (often the case on the London tube, but also on any public transport.) The 2-wheeler will remain where you put it, the 4 wheeler will start rolling as soon as the train pulls out or breaks.
As demonstrated to me this morning, people think that to be the case. Nothing beats getting a 2-wheeler hard case smashed into your feet and legs in the early morning because its owner thought that it will remain in place. While 2-wheelers are admittedly more stable, the lack of two wheels does not exempt those bags from the laws of physics. There is a solution though: A) Holding onto your luggage and/or B) putting it on its side.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The reality is Rimowa has been dropping distributors in favour of their own stores and this probably happened to Kaehler. It's more of a 'you didn't break up with me, I broke up with you' type situation
Yes, this is unfortunate. I went to a local luggage store that has been carrying Rimowa for years, and we previously bought 2 from them Went there this weekend and they have replaced their entire Rimowa section and display with Tumi. They said that Rimowa will not sell to them anymore, and will only sell from their own branded stores. Seems a shame, since loyal local sellers have been supporting them for years.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Travlur
Yes, this is unfortunate. I went to a local luggage store that has been carrying Rimowa for years, and we previously bought 2 from them Went there this weekend and they have replaced their entire Rimowa section and display with Tumi. They said that Rimowa will not sell to them anymore, and will only sell from their own branded stores. Seems a shame, since loyal local sellers have been supporting them for years.
By Rimowa doing this, it will pretty much cut out all the bargain seekers that would only buy if they can snag it on sale or with these discounts that were offered ..
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
By Rimowa doing this, it will pretty much cut out all the bargain seekers that would only buy if they can snag it on sale or with these discounts that were offered ..
Yes, but it also cuts out everyone who was buying them at regular price from a dealer. Even the last Rimowa store I was in was selling their suitcases at less than what my local dealer was.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Alas, an industry issue. I blame the Asian public The number of tiny women you see at Asian airports pushing (in from of them, two handed) a large four wheeler suitcase explains the trend.
Pushing is more commonly better on the body than pulling.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Which is, right or wrong, part of their strategy. They don't want a premium travel goods brand - they want a luxury travel good brand. And, of course, a big part of transitioning to becoming a luxury brand is artificially creating scarcity through reducing production, changing the product names to create separation from the past, charging more, and making it harder to find. I assume they are trying to cut out all distributors and sell only through company-owned channels and, once they feel they've elevated the brand enough, allow sales through select high-end third party outlets.
osamede likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Which is, right or wrong, part of their strategy. They don't want a premium travel goods brand - they want a luxury travel good brand. And, of course, a big part of transitioning to becoming a luxury brand is artificially creating scarcity through reducing production, changing the product names to create separation from the past, charging more, and making it harder to find. I assume they are trying to cut out all distributors and sell only through company-owned channels and, once they feel they've elevated the brand enough, allow sales through select high-end third party outlets.
Just like luxury watches, purses etc etc, they plan on protecting "THE BRAND" and hopefully places like KOFFERDIRCT will no longer ruining the RIMOWA Market and bring everyone inline on what must be paid to own a RIMOWA now...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Pushing is more commonly better on the body than pulling.
Especially if the suitcase is larger than the owner
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:29 pm

You want to play, you need to pay is all there is to it..! If this is not for you , you can easily snag some wal mart 20.00 rollers ...
I’ve a vague memory from economics classes that people who willing want to pay more for the same product is inelastic demand, but I can think of a few other non-economics terms for it.....

Given LVMH have destroyed the quality of the product of many of the brands they’ve acquired (Thomas Pink being a prime example but far from the only one), I suspect you’ll get your wish of “exclusivity” as those seeking quality will look elsewhere.
osamede and elau1999 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson
I think LVMH is hoping for the Veblen effect.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Anyone know if/when the new Rimowa's will be available through retailers? I've seen them at the stores, but not retailers.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: M/M
Which retailer/location are you asking for?

Expect a gradual roll-out, as retailers in Europe have already received their new inventory.

The company still has a backlog in manufacturing and their supply chain so it will be a while until they get across the pond from Europe. Good indicator is if the RIMOWA flagship closest to your area begins to carry the new collections, as they are, of course, priority and primary channel for sale going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.