Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimova after LVMH takeover: Revised brand names and higher prices?

Old Sep 5, 18, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson

Within the last month or so, Rimowa changed the names of its product lines from Salsa, Topas, Bolero etc. New names include Original, Essential, and Classic,

It seems to me, prices went up a bit. Is that your impression as well? I'm thinking some of the old-name stuff, particularly if I find a decent sale.

Another question: Did they just change the brand names or have the products been modified/updated as well?
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC
Had a chance to see the new Topas recently, or should I say Original, and I quite like the new look. The deal killer for me was the no add-a-bag feature. I'll admit I rarely ever use it, but it's nice having the option? That said, the whole case is a lot more refined now, the groves leading up to the corner mounts look more natural and streamline without the bulges and almost dented up feel of the older models. To be honest, the tag where the add-a-bag feature goes looks a lot more clean that way too. The interior color as well as the wheel rims are a dark blue/almost black which looks beautiful. In all, I personally feel the newer model looks and feels a lot more expensive. Is it worth the price bump? Though subjective, I personally don't think so. It is still a piece of luggage that's going to be thrown around.

Edit - I should add the black wheels are on select models.

Last edited by FlyingKansan; Sep 5, 18 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 6, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: M/M
Official RIMOWA current-year introduction and price change was effective 01 September.

You will see prices increased between 25-65% between the previous generation models.

Many of the local brick-and-mortar retailers here in Germany began discounting their old inventory months ago to phase-in introduction of the current generation line-up.

As a result, I was able to pick up a RIMOWA Topas Titanium 32L IATA for €512 after VAT refund and RIMOWA Topas Silver 67 eTag for €538, after VAT refund.

However, LVMH also changed their retail agreements with many brick-and-mortar vendors in Germany. Of the four (4) authorized vendors in my area, three (3) have lost their contract extension to carry RIMOWA in their stores. In speaking with the vendors, they cited LVMH's direction to consolidate retail sales to their new flagship retail locations. This is in line with their current marketing and retail strategy of many of the brands in LVMH's portfolio. Unfortunately, this reduces the frequency in which customers can find good deals through former retail outlets.

As previously mentioned, all the current generation items have undergone product updates that were mostly cosmetic. Many have already been covered by FlyingKansan.

Even KofferDirekt has updated their online inventory to reflect the new strategy going into the new fiscal year.

For better or worse, you can expect similar changes going forward with RIMOWA being apart of the LVMH portfolio.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 18, 7:46 am

I have still not seen any of the new lineup forsale here in the States at the mail order stores like LuggagePros, Altmann Luggage Etc..
Old Sep 6, 18, 9:00 pm

Emailed message today from one major US retailer:
Rimowa Departs

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but Kaehler is no longer selling Rimowa luggage. After the purchase of Rimowa by Louis Vuitton’s parent company (LVMH), the German commitment to precise craftsmanship and innovation has apparently been replaced by a glass of wine after lunch and a two-hour nap.

With a some false starts and outmoded products like their e-tag luggage, coupled with a failure to adapt to the most modern, lightweight materials like polypropylene, we can no longer consider Rimowa the gold standard in hardside luggage. Under the new LVMH ownership Rimowa consumers and retailers - without warning or notice - were rewarded for their years of loyalty and support by being misled about the company’s intentions.

Rimowa is now overseen by the son of a top Louis Vuitton executive. Unfortunately, their efforts to construct a new brand image has lead to a dilution in consumer confidence....and a six month pause in production. Yikes.

We hate to lose faith in a storied brand that we and other specialty stores helped to popularize in the US. Thankfully, we maintain strong relatonships with the high-end brands who continue to lead the pack in luggage innovation and concern for their customers. Go ahead and take a peek at our selection below.
1flyer and osamede like this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:14 am

Ouch. That is a strongly worded email.

To answer the original question, they've all gone up in price, and with the Topas, sorry, Original, they have the same price for the different finishes.

I've gone through the changes with store managers in London and also Amsterdam and the differences for the Topas are very small, apart from the bag-holder deletion and change of colour on the inside from blue to almost black. Apparently better manufacturing...

I've picked up two additional old models for good prices (slight discount) from Selfridges and Global Luggage.

As stated on previous threads, IMHO Rimowa are heading towards a fashion brand rather than an iconic brand known for quality.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 7:22 am

I bought my last one (Bossa Nova carry-on) this summer, and have since been dragging it over cobblestones, escalators, transporting in trains, planes... it's holding up very well and I'm happy with the quality so far. I have 5 pieces (Salsa Deluxe & Bossa Nova lines) and none have given me issues in the past few years.

However, my collection ends here. I am unlikely to purchase any more Rimowa due to the double whammy of non-value added re-design and increase in price.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For me Rimowa lost their game when they went 4 wheels on all products a few years ago. Might be a good move for the Asian crowd, but not for me. Losing the add-a-bag feature relegates it to the "was nice knwowing you" section - I still curse myself for the one suitcase I bought without it.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
For me Rimowa lost their game when they went 4 wheels on all products a few years ago.
I don't follow. Upon moving from two to four wheels, nothing is lost. You can still use any four wheeler like a two wheeler.
osamede likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by TravlnD View Post
Emailed message today from one major US retailer:
Rimowa Departs

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but Kaehler is no longer selling Rimowa luggage. After the purchase of Rimowa by Louis Vuitton’s parent company (LVMH), the German commitment to precise craftsmanship and innovation has apparently been replaced by a glass of wine after lunch and a two-hour nap.

With a some false starts and outmoded products like their e-tag luggage, coupled with a failure to adapt to the most modern, lightweight materials like polypropylene, we can no longer consider Rimowa the gold standard in hardside luggage. Under the new LVMH ownership Rimowa consumers and retailers - without warning or notice - were rewarded for their years of loyalty and support by being misled about the company’s intentions.

Rimowa is now overseen by the son of a top Louis Vuitton executive. Unfortunately, their efforts to construct a new brand image has lead to a dilution in consumer confidence....and a six month pause in production. Yikes.

We hate to lose faith in a storied brand that we and other specialty stores helped to popularize in the US. Thankfully, we maintain strong relatonships with the high-end brands who continue to lead the pack in luggage innovation and concern for their customers. Go ahead and take a peek at our selection below.
The reality is Rimowa has been dropping distributors in favour of their own stores and this probably happened to Kaehler. It's more of a 'you didn't break up with me, I broke up with you' type situation
Old Sep 14, 18, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
I don't follow. Upon moving from two to four wheels, nothing is lost. You can still use any four wheeler like a two wheeler.
Smaller wheels, more prone to breaks, less comfortable to roll it. Also less useful space inside for comparable total height - the four wheeler obviously doesn't go all the way down, wheres the 2 wheeler does, even if the wheel housing pushes inside)

And one of the biggest problems - try to use public transport with a 4-wheeler without hanging on to it and see where it ends up after each acceleration or breaking.
Old Sep 14, 18, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Smaller wheels
Really? IDK, the wheels on my four-wheel Rimowa trolleys seem huge.

more prone to breaks, less comfortable to roll it.
We gotta have to agree to disagree here. I find it super-comfortable to roll even when using a four- as a two-wheeler.

Also less useful space inside for comparable total height
Agreed.

And one of the biggest problems - try to use public transport with a 4-wheeler without hanging on to it and see where it ends up after each acceleration or breaking.
That's questionable. You don't have to set it down edgewise. Many, if not most Rimowa four-wheelers have a second handle exactly for that scenario.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Smaller wheels, more prone to breaks, less comfortable to roll it. Also less useful space inside for comparable total height - the four wheeler obviously doesn't go all the way down, wheres the 2 wheeler does, even if the wheel housing pushes inside)

is this a Rimowa issue, or industry issue? It seems the trend is that people want 4 wheels vs 2, and most luggage manufacturers now focus on their 4 wheel luggage.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:22 pm

Re the public transport. Set down a 2-wheeler and a 4-wheeler as you normally would on their wheels and leave them alone, don't touch the handle. (often the case on the London tube, but also on any public transport.) The 2-wheeler will remain where you put it, the 4 wheeler will start rolling as soon as the train pulls out or breaks.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by fishy21 View Post
is this a Rimowa issue, or industry issue? It seems the trend is that people want 4 wheels vs 2, and most luggage manufacturers now focus on their 4 wheel luggage.
Alas, an industry issue. I blame the Asian public The number of tiny women you see at Asian airports pushing (in from of them, two handed) a large four wheeler suitcase explains the trend.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: