Wiki Posts
Search

Which TravelPro

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: united
Which TravelPro

I need a large but light carry-on bag that can withstand being checked as well. I travel most on UA but occasionally WN and am totally fine with gate checking when I need to and don't like spinners. Thoughts on either of these two TravelPro's?

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/t...erver=internal

https://www.travelpro.com/maxlite-5-...-on-rollaboard
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Didn't realize TravelPro doesn't have something similar to my Crew 9 anymore? I'm looking at the new bags from your link, and I've yet to find one I would be happy with.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Didn't realize TravelPro doesn't have something similar to my Crew 9 anymore? I'm looking at the new bags from your link, and I've yet to find one I would be happy with.

If you had to choose one of these though, which one would it be?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Probably the Walkabout 4 from Macy's. Hard to go wrong at that price point.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Gold
FYI, the Platinum Magna 2 line, they cover all damage including airline damage.
bariww likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I'm somewhat a bag-a-holic and have several TravelPro lines: Maxlite 2, Maxlite 4, and the initial Platinum Magna plus the newer Platinum Magna 2. I do favor spinners, which the OP said s/he doesn't like. Here's my take.

Platinum Magna is a great line with fantastic wheels and contoured extendable handle. The fabric quality is excellent, the rolling characteristics on all surfaces are top-notch.

Last fall I took an 5-weeks trip to Europe using my (then) new Maxlite 4 22-inch rollaboard. I knew I would be walking through cobbled streets to get to hotels and had a number of train segments where I needed to handle my bag with ease getting on and (especially) off trains. I thought the rollaboard wheels would perform better than spinner wheels, I was right. I walked slowly on cobbled streets and had zero problems with the wheels.

The Maxlite 4 22-inch roller performed really well, but be aware it's larger than the 22-inch sizers, more like a total height of 23 inches. It easily fits in United and Southwest overheads, my overseas flights were Turkish business class and I had zero problems carrying on the 22-inch. It's very lightweight and I was pretty surprised at the amount of clothing I was able to pack, using mostly the Eagle Creek Specter Tech compression cubes.

Fast forward to my most recent trip last week. I recently purchased a Maxlite 4 21-inch spinner and matching "soft tote." I've decided this is the perfect combo for one-week or more carry-on domestic trips. The 21-inch spinner is noticeably shorter than the 22-inch (about 2 inches), but it holds almost as much (126 cu. in. less according to TravelPro's stats). I'm in my early 70s and lifting it into the Southwest overhead bin was a breeze as the bag itself weighs 5 lbs. 14 oz. The tote very easily fits under an aisle seat and is very light.

One thing I've noticed is as TravelPro has brought out successive Maxlite lines is it seems the fabric density/quality is a little lower with each new version. I'm not so sure about the new Maxlite 5 line, you would have to see the bags side-by-side to assess the fabric quality. You can find the Maxlite 4s on closeout at eBags.com and other websites.

Lastly, although the Platinum Magna 2 is at a higher price point, the quality of the wheels is much better than the Maxlites, at least it is for the spinners. The tradeoff is weight, the PM 2 will weigh a couple of pounds more empty than a Maxlite.

I hope this helps you make your decision and please come back to this thread to say what you bought and how you feel after you travel with your choice.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I'm somewhat a bag-a-holic and have several TravelPro lines: Maxlite 2, Maxlite 4, and the initial Platinum Magna plus the newer Platinum Magna 2. I do favor spinners, which the OP said s/he doesn't like. Here's my take.

Platinum Magna is a great line with fantastic wheels and contoured extendable handle. The fabric quality is excellent, the rolling characteristics on all surfaces are top-notch.

Last fall I took an 5-weeks trip to Europe using my (then) new Maxlite 4 22-inch rollaboard. I knew I would be walking through cobbled streets to get to hotels and had a number of train segments where I needed to handle my bag with ease getting on and (especially) off trains. I thought the rollaboard wheels would perform better than spinner wheels, I was right. I walked slowly on cobbled streets and had zero problems with the wheels.

The Maxlite 4 22-inch roller performed really well, but be aware it's larger than the 22-inch sizers, more like a total height of 23 inches. It easily fits in United and Southwest overheads, my overseas flights were Turkish business class and I had zero problems carrying on the 22-inch. It's very lightweight and I was pretty surprised at the amount of clothing I was able to pack, using mostly the Eagle Creek Specter Tech compression cubes.

Fast forward to my most recent trip last week. I recently purchased a Maxlite 4 21-inch spinner and matching "soft tote." I've decided this is the perfect combo for one-week or more carry-on domestic trips. The 21-inch spinner is noticeably shorter than the 22-inch (about 2 inches), but it holds almost as much (126 cu. in. less according to TravelPro's stats). I'm in my early 70s and lifting it into the Southwest overhead bin was a breeze as the bag itself weighs 5 lbs. 14 oz. The tote very easily fits under an aisle seat and is very light.

One thing I've noticed is as TravelPro has brought out successive Maxlite lines is it seems the fabric density/quality is a little lower with each new version. I'm not so sure about the new Maxlite 5 line, you would have to see the bags side-by-side to assess the fabric quality. You can find the Maxlite 4s on closeout at eBags.com and other websites.

Lastly, although the Platinum Magna 2 is at a higher price point, the quality of the wheels is much better than the Maxlites, at least it is for the spinners. The tradeoff is weight, the PM 2 will weigh a couple of pounds more empty than a Maxlite.

I hope this helps you make your decision and please come back to this thread to say what you bought and how you feel after you travel with your choice.
Thanks for the information. Any idea on the differences between the Platinum Magna 2 and the Platinum Elite line? Also, since the Maxlite 5 line is a bit lighter than the Maxlite 4 line, you might be on to something with the fabric quality going down. I'm not sure of the differences between the 2 lines other than weight.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by MarkY
Any idea on the differences between the Platinum Magna 2 and the Platinum Elite line? Also, since the Maxlite 5 line is a bit lighter than the Maxlite 4 line, you might be on to something with the fabric quality going down. I'm not sure of the differences between the 2 lines other than weight.
I've just seen the Platinum Elite line on websites the past few days. I can't surmise on the difference in quality, I expect the difference in price will be significant enough to warrant buying the PM 2 over the new Elite, if you can find the older models on closeout.

The Platinum Magna is TravelPro's highest "trim level" with better wheels, handle, and handling. This line also has a better warranty. If you travel a lot it probably would be worth the money to get the Platinum line. I travel maybe once a month, and 2-month trips overseas every 18-24 months, usually with lots of train travel. The Maxlite 4 works for me, I use the Platinum if I think it might rain or snow, or when I just want to look a little more refined. I use the Maxlite roller when weight it my chief consideration, when I know I'll be walking on cobbled streets, and when I know I won't check a bag.

That being said, the general consensus on this forum is the top brands are Rimowa, Tumi and Briggs & Riley. I cannot justify the much higher price points based on my amount of travel. TravelPro works for me but I avoid the least expensive lines in the brand like Walkabout and the ones only sold in their outlet stores.
Tesla1856 likes this.

Last edited by Dianne47; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: correction of typos
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Personally, I'd skip the two in the link. I got a Crew 11 22" rollaboard "suiter" almost two years ago when I started consulting for about $150, and I've taken it transcontinental almost every week for this entire time, Michigan to California, mostly. It's gotten gate-checked, regular-checked and stuffed in overheads...so far it's lost one (1) zipper pull and has one (1) small rip where I poked a coat hanger through the thin nylon "suiter." And it's kinda scuffed up. I too don't want a spinner -- I want that extra inch or two of packing space, and the wheels that're more securely fastened and out of the way. The only thing on the bag that I don't use is the dippy "plug your own battery in and then plug your phone into your bag" feature. Otherwise, I'm happy with it.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I'm probably too late but the Macy's bag will be seized at the gate for check in occasionally while the TravelPro bag in the link probably won't.

You'll find that both Travelpro bags don't expand very well. When you expand it, only the top half expands slightly and then not the full width and height of the bag gets expanded. Also, the lid is a variation of the garment bag but some trips, it's nicer to have just a mesh compartment inside the lid.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:46 pm

I wish somebody would make a nice 21" rollaboard, that actually does not exceed the 21" with wheels and handle. I am not sure why that is so hard.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royalM
I wish somebody would make a nice 21" rollaboard, that actually does not exceed the 21" with wheels and handle. I am not sure why that is so hard.
I guess the operative word is "nice". This is a great bag and suits my "travel aesthetic" (whatever that means ) but may not fit your definition of nice:
Eagle Creek Load Warrior 20
Really durable. With cubes, I've gone 6 weeks in it (no business suits). And the wheels are great for any surface - cobbles, broken pavement, even dirt tracks. (The wheels are why I bought this one for a trip to rural Greece). I got mine for about $180 online.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion rickg523. I will actually give that a try. Are the measurements actually what they say they are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.