Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wallet that does not suck?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:38 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
19 year old Sting-Ray wallet picked up in Thailand going strong for me. Nothing special dime a dozen design that seem to be able find made by everybody, works well enough. I carry a lot in it, and when it annoys me in the pocket throw it in the backpack that is with me almost always ( ID, insurance card, Physician business card, Insurance Card, HSA CC, 3x business card, ATM card, AMEX and VISA CC, Subway Card, Hotel roomkey, ~ 100 USD cash, some receipts from the day )

There is no special design, like bags/luggage if you want to carry a lot it will thick/bulky, carry ID, one CC and some cash lots of alternatives all about personal pet peeves and style IMHO
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I use a leather wallet from FormFunctionForm. It's essentially a leather slot with a space pen sewn into the side. Slide in a moleskin notebook and you've got a two-slot wallet with built in notebook!

https://formfunctionform.com/product/architects-wallet/
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I am still clinging to my Coach Money Clip wallet that they haven't sold in years. Essentially it is a single fold wallet with an internal money clip to hold the bills in place (one side of the bills goes under a flat, the other side is loose. There's room under the flap for a couple cards and three slots on the other side. Nothing external.

My wallet is so in tatters that it's become embarrassing, but nothing else I've tried comes close.

I just discovered that Coach does currently sell something similar, but with 8 card pockets, 4 on each side, rather than one side having the currency flap.

https://www.coach.com/coach-money-cl...BoCnn4QAvD_BwE

Last edited by milepig; Jul 9, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I went through a similar dilemma a few years ago, bought the "3.0" model from this company: https://dashwallets.com/

I've been immensely pleased, and the price point can't be beaten.

I carry 4 credit cards and my DL, plus a handful of cash, and can add a hotel room card if I really need to.

The only "gap" is that it is not RFID...edit, apparently the 5.0 model is RFID
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

I got a Tumi wallet and I am really happy with it. Does the job well, and a good addition to my Tumi collection.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milepig
I am still clinging to my Coach Money Clip wallet that they haven't sold in years. Essentially it is a single fold wallet with an internal money clip to hold the bills in place (one side of the bills goes under a flat, the other side is loose. There's room under the flap for a couple cards and three slots on the other side. Nothing external.

My wallet is so in tatters that it's become embarrassing, but nothing else I've tried comes close.

I just discovered that Coach does currently sell something similar, but with 8 card pockets, 4 on each side, rather than one side having the currency flap.

https://www.coach.com/coach-money-clip-billfold/26016.html?dwvar_color=BLK&src=googleshopping&cid= S_GPLA26016_campaignid=220774522&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4z aBRABEiwA0xwsP5vMku8IS80d28DE7tm0KjTsyRGc4ANuNdND8 6sYWeiScorIPhW4YBoCnn4QAvD_BwE
My trusty Coach wallet finally gave up the ghost last night and I've swapped in a Zegna money clip wallet that we bought at a silent auction a few years back. This thing defines "sucks". There are six card slots (three on each side). OK, but they're so small I can barely jam a single card into each of them. I carry - insurance cards, driver's license, one gas credit card, my work credit card, 1 other credit card, my Costo card, my Chase and City debit cards. That's eight. They don't fit. If I move those cards into another credit card case I'll either be carrying around TWO wallet-like things or will forget the card case at home and won't have it with me when I need it. And the things closes so tightly that it won't fully close with even a small amount of currency. And, the damn thing retails for like $650. Who designs these worthless things??
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
https://decadentminimalist.com/ if there's a smaller one it's cheating the laws of physics. Even wrapping your cards with a rubber band might be thicker.
RevJim likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I got this wallet last year, very compact, holds all the cards and ID that I need, is RFID secure, it is fantastic!!!

https://secrid.com/en
I just received a Secrid with the leather flap in vintage chocolate as a Christmas gift from my sister. So far, I think I like it. The card ejection mechanism is downright cool, and it has RFID blocking, also. Since I typically carry 4-5 cards, that also means I'd have a slot open for hotel keycard. The additional pockets, etc. could mean I can carry maybe a few business cards and stash my receipts, rather than just keeping them loose in my back pocket.

Downside is that it's not as slim as my leather card case (looks like this one, with 2 slots on either side and a center pocket). I'm a front pocket person anyway, but there is no way I could live with this thing in my back pocket. I am already a little annoyed at the slightly larger outline in makes when in the front pocket, but I'm sure I can get over that.

I haven't taken it to the airport and tried in a WTMD yet (that's next week), so any feedback on that would be helpful. It's a big chunk of aluminum, so I expect it would set off the metal detector. I'll still try it next week and report back my own experience.

EDIT: Turns out the card slots in the leather piece are not wide enough for my business cards. They do fit in the plastic cash section, but I'll have to see how annoying it is to have both cash and business cards in there. Otherwise, I'll ditch the business cards. Sidenote: that plastic cash flap gets really dusty!

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jan 3, 2019 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:53 pm

I like Cole Haan's wallets. Gave one as a Christmas gift and it was very well received last week.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Another recommendation for a Bellroy wallet.

I have the passport holder wallet and it's such a delight.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp1264
Another recommendation for a Bellroy wallet.

I have the passport holder wallet and it's such a delight.
Which one, exactly?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
Originally Posted by Travlur
I have this one and it has been great.
https://bellroy.com/products/note-sl...d/java#image-1

Meets everything in your list except for the outside slip pocket.
I have this wallet, but after 18 months the cards fall out. I taking to them now about the 3 year warranty and will uodate
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Which one, exactly?
The older version of this one.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by brp1264
The older version of this one.
Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I got this wallet last year, very compact, holds all the cards and ID that I need, is RFID secure, it is fantastic!!!

https://secrid.com/en
I second this one as well. I've owned two of them and even my wife has one now too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.