Wiki Posts
Search

How to stop slipping shoulder strap of a duffle bag

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
How to stop slipping shoulder strap of a duffle bag

Are there any products that can help to stop the constant slipping of the Shoulder strap of a duffel bag.? I have a nice duffle bag (Old Andiamo before they were closed), but the shoulder strap is slipping always. I carry around 15 pounds, it is heavy. Thank you
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:25 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I assume you never wear it cross shoulder, IE drapped across the opposite side of the should strap? I'm one with a blessed with narrow shoulders and slopped necked so anything not x-strap worn slides off whether duffel or even a laptop knapsack. Takes a little more to get off, raise above your head, but having the weight x-body means it'll never slip off, LOL
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
I am not cross shouldering. I have a laptop that I carry in one shoulder. And the other shoulder will have the duffel. May be I should look for a backpack Laptop bag while going on leisure travel? I feel laptop in Backpack does not look professional for my consulting work.

I really like the light weight of duffels, but the issue is how to carry these in shoulder as it always slips

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I assume you never wear it cross shoulder, IE drapped across the opposite side of the should strap? I'm one with a blessed with narrow shoulders and slopped necked so anything not x-strap worn slides off whether duffel or even a laptop knapsack. Takes a little more to get off, raise above your head, but having the weight x-body means it'll never slip off, LOL

Last edited by Love_Travel; Sep 23, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
I am not cross shouldering. I have a laptop that I carry in one shoulder. And the other shoulder will have the duffel. May be I should look for a backpack Laptop bag while going on leisure travel? I feel laptop in Backpack does not look professional for my consulting work.

I really like the light weight of duffels, but the issue is how to carry these in shoulder as it always slips
Can you switch the strap? If so I recommend replacing the one on it now with a Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you can't replace the strap try adding these non-slip pads:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them on nice messenger bags and men-purses
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:13 pm

Sugru. The answer is always Sugru.

Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Can you switch the strap? If so I recommend replacing the one on it now with a Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap.
These are the best dang gone straps on the market! I use it on all my duffels or any other bag that can use a strap. I can walk a mile or more using this strap. No discomfort. No slipping. Worth every penny! No way would I attempt that wearing any other strap.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you can switch the strap, I recommend the OP/TECH strap. Best strap I used and it's very comfy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
If you can switch the strap, I recommend the OP/TECH strap. Best strap I used and it's very comfy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/

Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
Both straps look almost identical, except for the name of course, so I see your point.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The fabric is the same, however the connecting hardware, buckles and hooks are not. Tom Bihn's is heftier. That's why I bought Tom Bihn's strap. You can definitely see a difference in the hardware by comparing pictures in both sites.

The weakest link on straps is the hardware that actually connects to the bag, taking the brunt of the weight.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The fabric is the same, however the connecting hardware, buckles and hooks are not. Tom Bihn's is heftier. That's why I bought Tom Bihn's strap. You can definitely see a difference in the hardware by comparing pictures in both sites.

The weakest link on straps is the hardware that actually connects to the bag, taking the brunt of the weight.

Thanks. Good to know. I have about 3 or 4 of the Bihn straps. I replaced the straps on some Red Oxx and B&R bags with them and have one on my Tom Bihn Tristar as well.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:15 am

Thanks. Good to know. I have about 3 or 4 of the Bihn straps. I replaced the straps on some Red Oxx and B&R bags with them and have one on my Tom Bihn Tristar as well.
The Tim Bihn Absolute strap has "Double-coated heavy duty metal snaphooks made in USA especially for TOM BIHN". These are newer, and you can really tell the difference between all other type of strap snaphooks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:25 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I also say both the Tom Bihn Absolute and OpTech straps are great. I have replaced several bag straps with these and they are just great, no-slip and comfortable.

Something not mentioned already in this thread is that these straps flex a little lengthwise in the pad area, i.e. the strap will flex a little when carrying a heavy bag which makes it much more comfortable — this is another huge bonus of these "high tech" straps, really makes a difference.

PS. Just a happy customer, no connection. In Europe I could buy the OpTech one cheaper from local Amazon site, Tom Bihn strap needed to be ordered from US (got it with a bag) with higher postage and customs costs, but still well worth it.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Yes there was and as a result I bought one! They are the same [as much as I can see]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.