Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How to stop slipping shoulder strap of a duffle bag

How to stop slipping shoulder strap of a duffle bag

Old Sep 23, 19, 3:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL/DFW
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Posts: 222
How to stop slipping shoulder strap of a duffle bag

Are there any products that can help to stop the constant slipping of the Shoulder strap of a duffel bag.? I have a nice duffle bag (Old Andiamo before they were closed), but the shoulder strap is slipping always. I carry around 15 pounds, it is heavy. Thank you
Love_Travel is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Posts: 929
I assume you never wear it cross shoulder, IE drapped across the opposite side of the should strap? I'm one with a blessed with narrow shoulders and slopped necked so anything not x-strap worn slides off whether duffel or even a laptop knapsack. Takes a little more to get off, raise above your head, but having the weight x-body means it'll never slip off, LOL
chipmaster is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:05 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL/DFW
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Posts: 222
I am not cross shouldering. I have a laptop that I carry in one shoulder. And the other shoulder will have the duffel. May be I should look for a backpack Laptop bag while going on leisure travel? I feel laptop in Backpack does not look professional for my consulting work.

I really like the light weight of duffels, but the issue is how to carry these in shoulder as it always slips

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I assume you never wear it cross shoulder, IE drapped across the opposite side of the should strap? I'm one with a blessed with narrow shoulders and slopped necked so anything not x-strap worn slides off whether duffel or even a laptop knapsack. Takes a little more to get off, raise above your head, but having the weight x-body means it'll never slip off, LOL

Last edited by Love_Travel; Sep 23, 19 at 10:19 am
Love_Travel is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 4:24 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 43,329
Originally Posted by Love_Travel View Post
I am not cross shouldering. I have a laptop that I carry in one shoulder. And the other shoulder will have the duffel. May be I should look for a backpack Laptop bag while going on leisure travel? I feel laptop in Backpack does not look professional for my consulting work.

I really like the light weight of duffels, but the issue is how to carry these in shoulder as it always slips
Can you switch the strap? If so I recommend replacing the one on it now with a Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:38 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,015
If you can't replace the strap try adding these non-slip pads:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them on nice messenger bags and men-purses
84fiero likes this.
tentseller is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:13 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 901
Sugru. The answer is always Sugru.



DragonSoul is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 6:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Can you switch the strap? If so I recommend replacing the one on it now with a Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap.
These are the best dang gone straps on the market! I use it on all my duffels or any other bag that can use a strap. I can walk a mile or more using this strap. No discomfort. No slipping. Worth every penny! No way would I attempt that wearing any other strap.
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 186
If you can switch the strap, I recommend the OP/TECH strap. Best strap I used and it's very comfy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/
MtlTourist is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:47 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 43,329
Originally Posted by MtlTourist View Post
If you can switch the strap, I recommend the OP/TECH strap. Best strap I used and it's very comfy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEMA8M/

Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
Both straps look almost identical, except for the name of course, so I see your point.
MtlTourist is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
The fabric is the same, however the connecting hardware, buckles and hooks are not. Tom Bihn's is heftier. That's why I bought Tom Bihn's strap. You can definitely see a difference in the hardware by comparing pictures in both sites.

The weakest link on straps is the hardware that actually connects to the bag, taking the brunt of the weight.
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:05 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 43,329
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
The fabric is the same, however the connecting hardware, buckles and hooks are not. Tom Bihn's is heftier. That's why I bought Tom Bihn's strap. You can definitely see a difference in the hardware by comparing pictures in both sites.

The weakest link on straps is the hardware that actually connects to the bag, taking the brunt of the weight.

Thanks. Good to know. I have about 3 or 4 of the Bihn straps. I replaced the straps on some Red Oxx and B&R bags with them and have one on my Tom Bihn Tristar as well.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Thanks. Good to know. I have about 3 or 4 of the Bihn straps. I replaced the straps on some Red Oxx and B&R bags with them and have one on my Tom Bihn Tristar as well.
The Tim Bihn Absolute strap has "Double-coated heavy duty metal snaphooks made in USA especially for TOM BIHN". These are newer, and you can really tell the difference between all other type of strap snaphooks.
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:25 am
  #14  
haa
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: Soon AA plat & A3*S to nothing
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
I also say both the Tom Bihn Absolute and OpTech straps are great. I have replaced several bag straps with these and they are just great, no-slip and comfortable.

Something not mentioned already in this thread is that these straps flex a little lengthwise in the pad area, i.e. the strap will flex a little when carrying a heavy bag which makes it much more comfortable this is another huge bonus of these "high tech" straps, really makes a difference.

PS. Just a happy customer, no connection. In Europe I could buy the OpTech one cheaper from local Amazon site, Tom Bihn strap needed to be ordered from US (got it with a bag) with higher postage and customs costs, but still well worth it.
haa is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Locked down in the UK
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Posts: 5,143
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Pretty sure that is the same as the Bihn strap. There were a thread or two about straps a few years ago and I think that was the conclusion.
Yes there was and as a result I bought one! They are the same [as much as I can see]
antichef is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: