Packable Travel Bags but strong enough to check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K

Can anyone recommend (if it exist) a weekend/overnight bag that is compactable, but strong enough that if I check it, it won't risk being rip apart? The ones that I see online seems to be REALLY thin material (hence probably why they can be folded up so small), but trying to find a backup bag I can haul my dirty laundry in case I buy a lot of things while on vacation. Not a big fan of carrying my big backpack another another carry-on.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:59 am

https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Foldabl...ackable+duffle

I have that one for just the purpose you are looking for. Surprisingly sturdy and has a shoe pocket too. Folds pretty small, but not tiny. I can jam it in my carry on.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit

I have that one for just the purpose you are looking for. Surprisingly sturdy and has a shoe pocket too. Folds pretty small, but not tiny. I can jam it in my carry on.
Thanks. I saw that on amazon as well. What size did you buy? I think they have like 25L to 100L and larger sizes.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Thanks. I saw that on amazon as well. What size did you buy? I think they have like 25L to 100L and larger sizes.
​​​​​​Mine is the 60l one. Bright green, never lose that sucker!!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit

I've got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which seems like it was made by the same manufacturer, but branded differently. I've never had any problems with it, it's held up to the baggage belts quite well.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Obviously the SDR D3 but also obviously noone will buy it (because it's 745 USD for a 39L bag but then again it's 515g). Less foldable, more sturdy are the Red Oxx Aviator bags. I have zero doubts it will come out unscratched. Is there anything that could hurt these things? I do not think so.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:20 pm

I usually carry a Samsonite Tote-a-Ton Bag along. It packs small & when needed can carry a lot of stuff. The material is thin of course, but its been sturdy so far (checked-in on 3 fights). I picked it up at BBB for like $15 about a year ago.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:27 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by sorab
I usually carry a Samsonite Tote-a-Ton Bag along. It packs small & when needed can carry a lot of stuff. The material is thin of course, but its been sturdy so far (checked-in on 3 fights). I picked it up at BBB for like $15 about a year ago.
I have a few of these and use them as schlepping bags too. They are just under maximum size.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
Obviously the SDR D3 but also obviously noone will buy it (because it's 745 USD for a 39L bag but then again it's 515g).
Wow, I agree that IS ridiculous. In comparison, the samsonite tote-a-ton seems to cost 30 USD for a 95L bag weighing 450g (1lb). Not sure anyone would ever be able to justify spending that much on it for less space and a heavier bag.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Lodd
Wow, I agree that IS ridiculous. In comparison, the samsonite tote-a-ton seems to cost 30 USD for a 95L bag weighing 450g (1lb). Not sure anyone would ever be able to justify spending that much on it for less space and a heavier bag.
I've got a Tortuga duffle that seems similar, but a lot less expensive. I haven't checked it, but it seems ridiculously sturdy for such a lightweight fabric.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have large and XL Le sportsac weekenders (bought on clearance at an outlet store - didn't care about pattern as long as it was bright ;-) They fold down nicely in the front pocket of my carry-on bag and I tend to use it for souvenirs on the return. (or dirty laundry gets checked and souvenirs are carried on ;-) Have been doing for years, no rips or tears, decent handles & straps too.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
While not as small as the others mentioned here, I always take my Red Oxx XS Aviator if I know I may need (a lot) of extra space on the way home. It opens almost completely flat so it takes up hardly any room at the bottom of my bag. And it is hands down my favorite bag. It holds a crap ton of stuff and it is practically indestructible.

https://www.redoxx.com/Shop-by-Gear-...-XS/13/Product

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.