Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
One trick carry on?

I'm looking for something that ticks off the following boxes :
1 . Garment bag ( non wheeled type)
2 Can carry a day or two worth of clothing
3. Space for a laptop and other electronics

Some of the prices are astronomical ($600 +) which is way over my budget.
Anyone have any recommendations in the $200 range ?

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:15 am

For that job I use a Victorinox duffel

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...fel/p/32300501

It has a separate section for laptop etc and in the main compartment I put my suit in a plastic dry cleaning bag, roll that around business shoes and drop the whole lot into the main compartment. Leaves lots of space for shirts and other clothes, is comfortably under carry on size and easy to carry. I bought it specifically for this job, i.e 2-3 day business trips where I was taking a suit and may want to do it with one bag so needed to have the separate laptop compartment
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at Tom Bihn they have a tristar or western Flyer that meets your needs. You may also want to look at RedOX they have the airboss or mini airboss that may fit your needs.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Red Oxx Air Boss. I travel with suits/sport coats and throw my laptop and other items into the center. A great design and a great product.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Alaska, United, Marriott, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ChimzB
I'm looking for something that ticks off the following boxes :
1 . Garment bag ( non wheeled type)
2 Can carry a day or two worth of clothing
3. Space for a laptop and other electronics

Some of the prices are astronomical ($600 +) which is way over my budget.
Anyone have any recommendations in the $200 range ?

Thanks
This is an unknown brand in the world of FT but it's a pretty sweet bag with a slick design...

Stitch Golf Ultimate Garment Bag

I can pack 1 weeks worth of dress & casual clothes in this bad boy and it's still compact and fits overhead.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:54 pm

Cotopaxi Allpa is what I started using for 3 days biz trip. 35L capacity. I made a YouTube review.
PK
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Red Ozz Gypsy, Flying Fortress or Air Boss. Air Boss would involve bundle packing, which works quite well.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I am very happy with my Nomatic, but I don't travel with business apparel. Should be a problem if you roll or make a bundle, though.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Originally Posted by camjr
Red Oxx Air Boss. I travel with suits/sport coats and throw my laptop and other items into the center. A great design and a great product.
You get your suits and sport coats into that without damaging them or without spending 2 hours ironing them as soon as you get to the hotel? I would be very concerned that something would happen to one of my suits.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by OceanAir
You get your suits and sport coats into that without damaging them or without spending 2 hours ironing them as soon as you get to the hotel? I would be very concerned that something would happen to one of my suits.
Bundle packing:

https://www.onebag.com/pack.html

Hotel irons can be dodgy but if you put a clean face towel with a light sprinkle of water on it between the iron and your suit you'll be able to get rid of any wrinkles that might happen within a couple minutes.

Also, consider how many suits you really need. I used to travel with one suit jacket, which I'd wear on the plane, and two identical suit trousers. For a four day domestic trip, that covered me fine.

(Or find a job where you don't need a suit, that was my solution )
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
If you don't want to carry everything on your shoulder, also look at pairing a GoRuck GR2 40L with a suit folder from Eagle Creek.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:34 pm

Have a look at the Tom Bihn Western Flyer for $240 + paired with an eagle creek medium specter garment folder for $30.
It looks just like a briefcase and can be carried as either briefcase OR shoulder bag OR backpack. If you can get the link below to work, here are some pictures to do it justice (not my pictures, although I do own the bag).

forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/4819-your-photos-needed-126.html?highlight=#post147361

The eagle creek garment folder can hold your dress shirts and pants nicely with minimal wrinkling and would easily hold 3 days of clothing (including suit) plus a laptop and chargers and some toiletries. There's a packing list as well in that link that will give you an idea of how much it can hold. At the other end, you can also just use it as a slightly large laptop bag (I'm assuming you're going on business trips).

Hope this helps.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
I'm a huge Tom Bihn fan, but found that the Western Flyer and Aeronaut just don't cut it for carrying suits. No matter how many suit folding tricks I try-- and I've tried every one of them recommended here on Flyertalk-- the suit always arrives looking wrinkled. So I just bought this, the Briggs Suiter Duffel:

https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/ty...ter-duffle-329

This piece is really clever. It's perfect for suits and will definitely hold a laptop as well. So far, it's been ideal for the one night business trips I take every month. I think it will meet your needs. And at <$300, it won't break the bank.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:35 pm

I stopped carrying my top of the line garment bag years ago and use my Red Oxx Air Boss for most of my trips. When needing to carry a suit, I fold it very well and place into a special XL plastic zip lock bag and secure it in one of the compartments in the Air Boss. There's a video of this on YouTube. This method has never failed me! I also use an 18 inch Eagle Creek packing folder for dress shirts and pants. This too works very well. If I need to go without a suit and really light, I use a Red Oxx Sunchaser. Now I use Red Oxx compression straps with the Air Boss. Perfect combo. Good luck with your choice.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by OceanAir
Yup. Bundle packing method. There may be a few minor wrinkles upon unpacking, so I just hang it from the shower rod with hot water running to relax them in the steam. Always works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.