Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spinner bag with the best handle?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Spinner bag with the best handle?

I'm on my 3rd walmart special spinner carryon. I traveled with various rollers over the years, and always have to replace them because the handle and/or extension mechanism gives up the ghost. They either won't retract anymore (normal rollers) from years of up and down, or they just fall apart (spinners) in a few months because when I push them through the airport upright, I use the extended handle to "steer" the bag, and it seems to put a lot of stress on the tiny screws that hold the cheap plastic handles together.

So I started looking at new bags. I'm kinda settled on the B&R Transcend because it'll fit the UA sizers (I fly weekly on an EMB 170/175), and because they seem to have the best warranty. However, I'd rather it just not fall apart in the first place, even if they'll repair it for free (plus shipping).

I really like the handles on the the bags the pilots use (e.g. this one), but I can't seem to find something like that in a spinner. Those handles shouldn't ever fall apart, since there's no cheap plastic screwed to the top for a mechanism button...however those handles are about 2x "wider" than the normal spinner handles... and I always loop the top handle of my backpack over the handle (stand the backpack on the spinner, loop the upper handle over the spinner handle, then start steering).... so not sure if the wider mechanism free handles would work well with that or not.

Anyone have any tips of a carryon spinner with an indestructible handle I'm just not seeing online? I figured I'd settle for a B&R so that when (not if) it falls apart, at least I can get it replaced for less than the cost of a new bag... but was hoping I'm just missing something.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:11 am

Maybe see if you can find the B&R bag at Costco discussed in this thread?

I've been using a Victorinox Werks Traveler 4.0 spinner, and I'm pleased with the hardware. Victorinox has gutted their warranty for the WT 5.0 series, and they denied a warranty claim on an older bag, so I'm reluctant to recommend them, but I've had no problems with the handle.

The other bag I'd try, though I've never traveled with it, is the Costco Kirkland Signature spinner. It's only $100, and the hardware seems very good for that price.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
The extendable handle on the TravelPro Platinum Magna or Crew 11 spinners line is sturdy and contoured for hand comfort. Please stop buying bags at Walmart, you get what you pay for and luggage sold there isn't going to stand up to frequent trips.

Keep in mind that the extendable handles on spinner luggage are meant for maneuvering flat surfaces, not for pulling a suitcase over curbs, negotiating the gaps when using elevators, walking on plush carpets, or hauling up and down stairs. Tilt the bag on 2 wheels for gaps or reach down and use the "little handle" for any weight-bearing maneuvers. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago when I pulled the extended handle right out of a bag, it couldn't be fixed.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Keep in mind that the extendable handles on spinner luggage are meant for maneuvering flat surfaces...
That's probably my issue. I use mine on carpet (hotel hallway), navigating the streets of NYC (including lifting over curbs), over elevators, up/down short flights of stairs (3-4 steps), etc. In the subway stairs, I always lower it and grab the small handle, but always used the extendable one for jumping curbs and stuff.

I pulled the trigger on a B&R spinner this week. Ebates was running a 12% cash back offer for eBags.... about the best I could find it for. It feels a LOT smoother and sturdier than my $70 Coleman from walmart. :-)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
You can't go wrong with the B & R spinner. Even with prestige brands try to avoid lifting the bag by the extended handle. I hear you on navigating NYC, try to use curb cuts when possible. On uneven pavement, carpets, doorways and elevators tilt the bag to roll on 2 wheels. Congrats on what will no doubt be an excellent bag for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.