Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics for Greece Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Electronics for Greece Trip

I'm traveling to Greece (Athens, Santorini, Crete) and am curious about the following:
  • Will my regular wall chargers work or do I need to bring international converters? If so, any recommendations?
  • I have an iPhone with ATT. Is it best to add an international plan for the trip? Is there a better option?
  • I'd like to connect to wifi to upload pictures and for work. I can use the hotel wifi for this but would like some access on my phone to help with navigation and searching while on the go.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:05 pm

This is the adapter that I always carry when I travel abroad:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcfr22
I'm traveling to Greece (Athens, Santorini, Crete) and am curious about the following:
  • Will my regular wall chargers work or do I need to bring international converters? If so, any recommendations?
  • I have an iPhone with ATT. Is it best to add an international plan for the trip? Is there a better option?
  • I'd like to connect to wifi to upload pictures and for work. I can use the hotel wifi for this but would like some access on my phone to help with navigation and searching while on the go.
My North American iphone charger works in Europe without needing a voltage converter. You will need a plug adapter however.

In terms of using your phone, if it is unlocked you might want to consider picking up a local SIM card for data (so you can use maps, internet etc. outside the hotel).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You will need adapters (allowing different plug styles to connect but without changing voltage) but may not need a converter (also changes voltage). All of your electrical devices will show the allowable incoming voltage(s) on the charger or device itself. Just check each one that you plan to bring along. IME almost everything is dual voltage nowadays so most likely you'll only need adapter(s) but not a converter, but confirm with your specific items.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I was just in Greece in May. I use this converter and have used it virtually everywhere in the world without issue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had no issues with my phone / iPad Pro. Almost all devices these days have charge cords that are 110-240v and convert automatically and of course in the above you can also just use the USB plugs to charge your phone too (I actually typically put my phone into the actual plug to take advantage of the Fast Charging with Samsung S8 and then put my iPad into the USB plug).

In terms of phone coverage - I actually intended to get a SIM card but didn't need it in Santorini (most restaurants had WiFi and hotel had WiFi - I then did an offline area download of the island for Google Maps since it's so small and just referenced that if I needed directions while walking around without WiFi).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:24 pm

We just returned from 10 days in Greece in your exact destinations (Athens, Santorini, Crete).

Regular chargers will work, no voltage converters needed. You will need the two-prong adapters to fit in the standard European wall outlets.

AT&T now offers the "international day pass" which is unlimited data/voice/text for $10 a day. A far better deal than the old international passport. The requirement is that you have one of their two unlimited plans domestically.

As for uploading photos and using your iPhone for navigation, see above. For $10 a day you can get the international day pass and have completely unlimited data as long as you have one of ATT's unlimited plans in the USA. The days of looking everywhere for free wi-fi and getting a local SIM card are over. $10 a day is nothing compared to the carefree experience of never having to worry about data consumption internationally.

https://www.att.com/offers/internati.../day-pass.html
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
"The requirement is that you have one of their two unlimited plans domestically."

Not true. I have a 15 gb per month plan and have used the day pass on two trips. Worked great. It allows you to use your data allowance (15 gb for me) while overseas. Same pool of data. Unlimited plan is not required.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Make sure you check the voltages on anything you plug in. I learned the hard way and smoked my toothbrush charger. My employee also smoked a dewalt drill charger.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
and when I say smoke, it actually means catches on fire in your room and sets off the smoke alarm.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The vast majority of electronic devices, especially camera chargers, computers and phones, work between 110 and 240. Greece is 220. The biggest concern you have is assuring you have the two pronged Euro style. The German shocko and the French style normally work (they have minor differences).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Just got back from Greece very late last Sunday night. No problem with running MacBook air or my Anker power adapter through this Yubi Power Strip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a European plug adapter on the end. That also helped deal with the problem that European outlets are less common.

For the cell phone I bought a Flexiroam sticker before I left. Worked seamlessly (I was also in Germany and Austria before going to Greece. In 2015 I went to Greece and never bought a local SIM card. Wifi (at least in rural areas) was not that common, but I did discover that my iPhone's GPS and a map app that allowed me to download maps was very useful. Even if you're getting a SIM card you might want to do that.

Greece is lovely and the food is fabulous. The rest of the world really does need to adopt the Nescafe Frape, which is the best cold caffeine drink on the planet.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Take an extension cord and a single converter. That way you can plug several things in using one converter.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
This should be in travel tech

Your first question is answered in Power Outlet Shape Adapter Advice
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by lostinohio

Greece is lovely and the food is fabulous. The rest of the world really does need to adopt the Nescafe Frape, which is the best cold caffeine drink on the planet.
Frape's are awful. Much better is a fredo espresso or fredo cappuccino. As the guy at the restaurant said when we first asked the difference, he said:

:: pointing at the fredos:: thees good coffee
:: pointing at frape:: thees bed coffee

He's right. Fredos use good coffee (real espresso, often illy or Lavazza) and frapes use junk instant.

Last edited by N1120A; Jul 23, 2017 at 1:19 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I definitely want data as well as call and text capabilities.
I'll research the Flexiroam sticker.
I've read that grabbing a Vodafone sim is the best bet. Is there a way to get one prior to arrival?
The international plan isn't available to me since I was grandfathered into the original truly unlimited plan, which I'd lose if I upgraded or modified in anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.