Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Good portable bluebooth speaker for speakerphone use in hotel rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I've been traveling for a while using my Anker Classic bluetooth speaker. It's great for music while I'm in my hotel room and for playing white noise throughout the night using the Whitenoise app on my phone. But I had also hoped to use it for work conference calls I take from my room, often with a coworker or two coming to join. And here the Anker really falls down. The microphone sensitivity is so low that people have to basically be right above the speaker and shouting down into it to be heard.

Reading reviews, I can't really find any good info on what similar speaker might be better for speakerphone duty. Has anyone find a standout in this regard that's also good for music? Battery life doesn't matter much to me because I usually keep it plugged in.

Thanks,
Keith
Old May 3, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
I've been traveling for a while using my Anker Classic bluetooth speaker. It's great for music while I'm in my hotel room and for playing white noise throughout the night using the Whitenoise app on my phone. But I had also hoped to use it for work conference calls I take from my room, often with a coworker or two coming to join. And here the Anker really falls down. The microphone sensitivity is so low that people have to basically be right above the speaker and shouting down into it to be heard.

Reading reviews, I can't really find any good info on what similar speaker might be better for speakerphone duty. Has anyone find a standout in this regard that's also good for music? Battery life doesn't matter much to me because I usually keep it plugged in.

Thanks,
Keith
This is what I use for small group in hotel or small rooms:

http://www.jabra.com/business/speake...abra-speak-510
Old May 4, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by tentseller

Another vote for this one - I am also carrying this with me and using in hotel or small rooms.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Soundmatters foxL DASH7. Small and powerful.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

Thanks for the link. How's the sound quality as a standalone bluetooth speaker for music? When I'm traveling, over 90% of the use is simply listening to Spotify in a hotel room. Only 10% or less is actual conference calls.

Keith
Old May 15, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
Thanks for the link. How's the sound quality as a standalone bluetooth speaker for music? When I'm traveling, over 90% of the use is simply listening to Spotify in a hotel room. Only 10% or less is actual conference calls.

Keith
For pure music listening, I use my Bose. When I travel and need conferencing I carry both as the quality of my phone conversations is important to my business image.
When I can't carry both, I take the Jabra and compromise on the music.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

This. I have one, everyone on my team has one now. Works great.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Looks like it's $79.99 through NewEgg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA19P1E70277
Old May 17, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My co-worker has the Jabra one. In our experience, the speaker is really low, even at full volume. Makes it really difficult to hear when in a large conference room with 4-5 people crowding around it. On the plus side, everyone can hear us.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have a JBL Flip. While mine is about 4 years old now and they don't make this particular one anymore, I can't say enough about the sound quality etc. JBL is amazing and the price point was unbelievable. I'm sure JBL has an updated model similar to this.
http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+FLIP.html
Old May 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I bought the Jabra for my wife's home office and it works great...
Old May 18, 2017, 9:09 pm

I love my Anker Soundcore mini (http://a.co/eSoNXWH). It has worked great for many a conference call (no complaints from those on the other end), and music sounds excellent.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I use a Logitech X300 for this purpose, it works great as a speakerphone and for streaming music, however when paired to a computer there is a slight lag that can be annoying or at least it is too me.

I bought it from Newegg on-sale for something ridiculous like $30. I have bought a few as gifts since then too.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
I use a JBL Charge. Great sound, and with the added benefit of being able to be used as a battery to charge other devices - a nice feature when traveling.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum
I'd take a look at the really good (albeit pricey) B&O Beoplay P2. Pretty awesome speaker that will definitely outperform the competition on the music side of things, and the microphone should be suitable for your conference calls too.

Last edited by Henrik C; Jun 7, 2017 at 4:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.