Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to get insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Is it worth it to get insurance?

Long time reader but first time poster here.
I'm in my 60's and considering buying travel medical insurance for my trip abroad. In what instances will insurance companies allow insured individuals yo cancel their tripa for a medical reason? Cancer? TB? Vomiting?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I can't answer your question about cancelling. I think you'd have to ask the insurance company.

I never travel without taking out insurance.
3 years ago my husband was very ill, developing heart failure while we were travelling.
He was in hospital in Vancouver, Canada, for 11 days.

The total paid out for that episode by our travel insurance company was over $100,000.
There is no way we would have been able to afford those costs without insurance!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Flyingfordays
Long time reader but first time poster here.
I'm in my 60's and considering buying travel medical insurance for my trip abroad. In what instances will insurance companies allow insured individuals yo cancel their tripa for a medical reason? Cancer? TB? Vomiting?
You should double check with any travel insurer about specific policies you are considering, of course, to be sure about any specific terms.

However, our understanding from personal experience (alas) and also from many comments on CruiseCritic.com Travel Insurance sub-forum is that for a *medical* cancellation or interruption, it would be necessary to have a physician provide a signed document stating that you were not able to travel for medical reasons.
This is often (always?) a specific form that would also include details such as diagnosis, onset of illness/accident, etc., and perhaps documentation such as x-ray or lab reports.

For policies that do NOT have a waiver of the "exclusion of pre-existing condition coverage", one would probably also need to provide access to a variety of prior medical records (at the least, for a certain period of time pre-departure).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I recommend taking a look at the Trip Insurance Store for comparisons, and then call and talk to Steve or one of the others for your questions.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

I buy medical and medical evacuation insurance. I don't insure the trip costs, but that's just me.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Apr 13, 2017 at 8:23 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.