Sleep problems in hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep problems in hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: US Gold
People who entertain until late at night can't set a routine like the sleep "hygienists" want you to do. I use soundtracks played very quietly - sometimes movies that have a lot of dialogue; comedy routines; anything that has a lot of interesting words. It gives my mind something to focus on and lets me ignore outside noise. Works for me on planes, too.

wg
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:05 am

I blackout all the lights I can. Bedside alarm clock gets covered with a towel. Towels under the door to block the hall light from coming in.

Most hotel rooms, have so much light bleed that you can see clearly at 2am if you don't block that out.

At bed time I usually set a sleep timer and listen to a book on tape *audible for 15 mins. Most times I have to back up the book by about 10 mins the next time I listen.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For me, it was starting a new medication. It took a long while (and many tired weeks) to figure it out. My doctor suggested I switch to taking it in the mornings, and my sleep has been much better ever since.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Plat
Another useful strategy (in addition to the other helpful ones here) is to wind down with a book or magazine - and not screen viewing - at least 15 mins before sleep. Very relaxing.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice.
Keep it coming.
I know my phone is one of the biggest culprits to disturb sleep. I need put it down away from the bed!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:09 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have a pre-bedtime routine and a sleepy-time playlist.

I make a cup of hot decaffeinated tea to help with clearing my sinuses. I cover all lights from the TV, alarm clock and the door.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:58 am

I cover all the little lights in the room (the clock, the TV remote light, etc) with towels, and I have a little white noise machine that is small enough for me to travel with. The white noise machine doesn't help with me falling asleep, but it does help keep me asleep and to sleep more rested.

I agree that the pillows make a big difference, but they can be hard to travel with - I only take mine if I'm traveling by car.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Independent
Is there anyone else out there who find it more difficult to fall asleep when it is absolutely pitch dark than with a small amount of light?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Is there anyone else out there who find it more difficult to fall asleep when it is absolutely pitch dark than with a small amount of light?
I do. At home, we do not bother to close the blinds in our room. The light level varies, especially with a full moon. On the road, I'll usually leave a gap in the drapes. This also lets me know when it is morning without looking at a clock.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:20 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
With regards to the pillow recommendations, I find traveling with my own pillow to be impossibly cumbersome, but more high end hotels are offering specific pillows on request, and beyond just soft or firm. Many now offer feather or memory foam (my favorite) on request, so worth asking if this makes a difference for you.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

If (strikes at airports) I manage to get to Berlin tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on with the various suggestions!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I use a sound machine for white noise. I have one on my night stand at home and another in my travel bag. Never leave without it.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I find that my pillow from home is key. I have a down filled one that I don't lie on but rather put against my ear and lean in that direction (I'm a back sleeper). To make it more portable, I had a seamstress cut the pillow open and remove half of the down so that I can lay it flat in my carry on bag. Something about the feel and smell of home helps me to sleep. I also travel with an Itty Bitty Book Light next to my bed-not to read but so that it is always there when I wake up in the middle of the night and wonder where I am. Finally, I think that scents are a great comfort whether lavender or something else calming. As long as it is a scent that I use at home, anything soothing will work. And do put that screen away at least an hour before bed. I usually charge mine in the bathroom just to keep it out of sight and out of mind.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:03 pm

The Kindle Paperwhite is a great traveller's aid. The backlight is very soft, you are reading yourself to sleep, it turns itself off, a charge lasts a long time, it is smaller to pack than a paper book, and you can download from anywhere when you need another book to read.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
For me it is all in the pillow as well. I have worked out where I can get a good latex pillow I sleep much better than with the dodgy ones that are normally on the bed.

When I forget to ask or the hotel doesn't have one I often find I struggle to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.