Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on recommendation for fragile items

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Carry-on recommendation for fragile items

Going to be traveling a lot more, and carrying a lot of ceramics and other fragile items with me. Will try and carry-on when possible, but wanted a durable case for check-in as well, to be safe.

Currently, there are 20% off offers on eBags that I can use for zero haliburton bags plus a few $10 off $50 Amex Offers, and 25% off offers on Neiman Marcus (using Amex Offers, I saved several) that I can use for Rimowa.

Any recommendations between the two brands?

Looking at either a combination of
Salsa Air Cabin/Salsa Matte Bronze Cabin Multiwheel IATA/Salsa Deluxe Yachting Cabin
and equivalent 32"

or

Classic Polycarbonate Carry On 2 Wheel Travel Case/Geo Polycarbonate Carry On 2 Wheel Travel Case
and equivalent 28"
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:05 am

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Coolers
This
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
That, for check in, for sure but for carry on it might be a bit too heavy. I tried but, if you can deal with that, it's certainly one that won't break and with the rigid foam that you can customize, you can transport anything fragile with great surety. Thousands of dollars of worth of photography equipment survives the occassional gate check in these Pelican cases. Add https://www.tamperseal.com/searchale...ock-p-187.html and it also survives all attempts of luggage handlers to get inside https://i.stack.imgur.com/2R3F0.jpg
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I've settled on getting a large pelican for check-in now, but I wanted a lighter carry-on - went to a zero haliburton store and settled on a polycarbonate vs geo polycarbonate for durability.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
One thing that might be useful for small-moderate size items is a camera and lens insert for a bag that's got movable partitions. Timbuk2 apparently had to bring back their Snoop Camera Inserts because of customer demand, and the older version I've got is a very nice item for protecting fragile camera stuff.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Would inflatable packaging like this help too - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Meet...08.4.49.44Gfms

My wife buy's me the odd bottle of Metaxa online and it comes in packaging like this - works for bottles, not so sure it's for delicate things though
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:10 am

Camera wraps like this can be useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-34L-1.../dp/B00009R88H

I use one with my CPAP when I want to one-bag it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Actually the Pelican Air is the case to get for fragile things, and light weight.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/

The 1535 Pelian Air case is less than 10lbs and is a standard roll a board case. Most carry on, roll a board cases are between 11-13lbs.

This case has a lot of the soft sided gear bag brands very nervous.

Ignore the first Pelican case posted in this thread, that one would be heavy and won't protect any better than the Air version.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The Pelican Air is very interesting, thanks for pointing that out.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am an addict of Tutto bags: www.tutto.com
They are durable, lightweight and can collapse to fit under a bed. They also have wheels that go 360. If there are any repairs necessary, they will either sell you parts at very low rates, or you can ship back to them for repairs and only pay for parts. Totally lovely to deal with. I own about 6 pieces, and have given others as gifts.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:03 am

Possibly a photography focused bag

Take a look at think tank photo. they make camera bags for photographers that are designed to fly. They are roller bags with foam inserts for lenses. If what you are carry can fit in them, then they are very popular.

Also take a look at some blogs on how photographers get around the any potential weight issues for the bag being too heavy. Basically, if the carry on is too heavy, they "wear" the camera and lenses then the put them back in the bag.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Reusable bubble wrap holders in the size of your items could help, too.

For instance, they make these for wine bottles, but you could put anything you want in them:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.