Reload this Page >

"new" IATA carry on size 55x40x20cm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"new" IATA carry on size 55x40x20cm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:46 am

I apologize for bringing back this thread from a couple months ago, but I have no experience with international flights and the other threads I've read don't fully address my question. Is it truly normal and accepted for experienced travelers to use carry-ons that don't meet size/weight restrictions? Are passengers really only questioned if they come to the attention of the airline staff?
I've been desperate to find a good carry-on for my upcoming trip to Europe (and potential future u.s. and international travel) and the last thing I want is a hassle with potential expense of checking my carry-on. I don't want to necessarily avoid smaller airlines with size/weight limits, which may be less expensive, so I've been searching for luggage that meets the lowest size/weight limit, even though many people on flyertalk seem to always recommend BR or rimowa. Are my options really limited to BR (and hope weight isn't checked) or Rimowa (and hope size isn't checked) or duffel/backpack (and have no wheels)?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Brands like BR and Rimowa get more attention on this board because of the investment involved. If one is going to spend a tidy sum on a piece of luggage they would most likely do a fair bit of research and possibly post questions on an internet board to leased from the experience of other users. If one is getting a closeout no-brand carry on for $50 I would imagine a lot less thought would go into the purchase.

To answer the question, unfortunately my experience is only limited to Singapore Airlines (I haven't flown any other airlines in years) but I can confirm that plenty of people - including yours truly - get away with carry ons that are slightly larger (and most definitely much heavier) than what's permitted. Some appear to be "experienced travelers" but many come across as holidaymakers as well.

Side anecdote, I was in my local Rimowa store recently and the sales staff commented that he had heard from a number of his customers that they were using the 45L Multiwheel Trolley (56x45x25, far larger than published allowance) as carry on with no issues whatsoever.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ThomGault
s it truly normal and accepted for experienced travelers to use carry-ons that don't meet size/weight restrictions?
Yes.

An experienced international traveler can get away with a slightly larger/heavier wheeled carry-on if they get to the gate on time, be the first to board with their boarding group, carry a small personal item, don't attempt to take shopping bags/lunch bags/pillows onboard, and look tidy and clean.

Getting stopped by a gate agent is completely subjective. They judge how much space is left (be the first in your boarding group), they judge how respectful you are to the process (ticket ready), they judge how you appear (tidy and composed), they judge your attitude (friendly), and they judge how much crap you are trying to sneak aboard (don't).

My rolling carry-on is a smidge to tall and wide and it's always overweight. But my personal item is a slip backpack, I carry no extras, I get to the gate early, I have my ticket ready, I respect their authority and act friendly, I never get stopped. It's perception and demeanor, not bag size.

BJ
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by boltjames
Yes.

An experienced international traveler can get away with a slightly larger/heavier wheeled carry-on if they get to the gate on time, be the first to board with their boarding group, carry a small personal item, don't attempt to take shopping bags/lunch bags/pillows onboard, and look tidy and clean.
Getting stopped by a gate agent is completely subjective.
Even in Europe, on lines with very light limits, like Lufthansa, Thomas Cook, Norwegian, SAS, or TAP? I don't want to break any rules, but its just about impossible to find a carry-on that actually meets size and weight limits and has a decent amount of room (other than a backpack or duffel, but I'm trying to avoid using the same type of luggage that I used in college.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:52 pm

Finding luggage that meets European size and weight requirements is more difficult in the US because most airlines here are not as strict, especially about weight. I found that European luggage shops were full of luggage at all price points that met European size requirements and were much lighter than similar luggage in the US. I'd recommend using what you have for your first trip and window shopping when you get there. Easy enough to pack in a duffel so that you can bring something home with you on a later trip.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Megn
I found that European luggage shops were full of luggage at all price points that met European size requirements and were much lighter than similar luggage in the US.
Were the bags from European vendors wheeled or duffel? Do you recall approximate weight, or any store names, especially any that have an online/international presence?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:23 pm

Even in Europe, on lines with very light limits, like Lufthansa, Thomas Cook, Norwegian, SAS, or TAP? I don't want to break any rules, but its just about impossible to find a carry-on that actually meets size and weight limits and has a decent amount of room (other than a backpack or duffel, but I'm trying to avoid using the same type of luggage that I used in college.
In my experience on dozens of aircraft on dozens of European carriers, yes.

Get the Briggs & Riley U122CX, follow the steps I've outlined a few posts ago, and don't worry about this at all. I've used this carry-on and/or a Tumi of identical dimensions for the last 20 years throughout Europe, Asia, and he US and have never been stopped or questioned, ever.

It is not about bag size. It is about everything else. Create the perception that you are an experienced and respectful traveler, the gate agents won't give your bag a glance. They are looking for difficult people and those who abuse the number of items they bring on the plane.

EDIT: I should also note that gate agents and flight attendants know luggage intimately, know which ones fit in the overhead bin and which ones don't, they each must personally see over 250,000 bags a year. Getting a well-known bag from a well-known brand is another important strategy. My B&R is a very popular bag, flight attendants know it fits, so they don't need to worry. Some no-name bag? Different story.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last few flights I have taken with Lufthansa in the last six months, they have been brutal about carry ons. It had absolutely nothing to do with:

- Boarding priority (they did not check boarding passes)
- FF status (ditto)
- How people were dressed (people in yoga pants were treated the same as those in business suits - in fact on this flight, those in suits had more items checked than those in casual wear!)
- How they spoke to the gate agents (no one was really speaking to anyone)
- Whether their luggage was a particular brand (if it was a roller case it was checked, the only exceptions were the tiny roller cases shaped like lady bugs toted by children).

They came around the gate area shortly before boarding, without asking for any boarding pass information, and lifted pretty much every rollaboard case to check for weight. They also sized a few of them that were on the larger size. They were pretty full flights, so I am guessing they did not have a lot of wiggle room - you might be luckier on flights with a lighter load. But yes, I watched a fair number of people with larger carry on bags be made to check them before the boarding process even began. They did not check shoulder / backpack bags for weight that I saw, just the roller cases.

My roller case is by Delsey, and conforms to the stricter European size limits, but was bought in N America. It is also very light, so while I cannot pack as much in as if I were flying BA or N. American airlines, it does allow me to pack a decent amount of stuff and comply with the 7/8/10kg limits.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:39 am

Eagle Creek has just come out with a few new bags that are 55 cm x 35cm x 20cm including wheels and handles. The also all expand to 25cm for the times you are on flights that allow that width.

Look for bags with "international carry on" in their name. Rollers and spinners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.