Search

Are packing folders useful?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Are packing folders useful?

I'm referring to the folders designed to for neatly folding shirts, like this:
https://goo.gl/rcgZ0F

For now I fold and pack my shirts and all other clothes into an Eagle Creek Expandable cube, and it works fine. So I'm wondering what's the benefit, if any, of these packing folders?

Anyone here actually using them?

Cheers

Last edited by mzzxx11; Oct 14, 2016 at 4:06 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:20 pm

I use the Eagle Creek Medium specter folder all the time.

1. Folders (18x12) tend to be to be larger than cubes (14x10) which works better for dress clothes IMO rather than the smaller cubes. The flatter packing styles for folders is a plus.
2. They compress and expand to fit the content better though I've only ever used the non-compression EC and other cubes.
3. They have a solid backing and a folding board which can also be used to provide some more structure to them.
4. In theory your clothes will come out with less wrinkles versus cubes (less folding + better compression + flatter organization = less wrinkles) but I always iron my clothes on arrival anyways.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

The packing cubes do require a bit of extra folding to fit the shirts in, so I guess a folder would work better.

I also carry a travel size iron (Philips) and iron on arrival. I'm mainly interested in a folder to keep everything organized inside the carryon.

Cheers
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
I use the folders regularly. They still leave folded creases but less overall wrinkles. I wouldn't travel without them now.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Thanks.

The packing cubes do require a bit of extra folding to fit the shirts in, so I guess a folder would work better.

I also carry a travel size iron (Philips) and iron on arrival. I'm mainly interested in a folder to keep everything organized inside the carryon.

Cheers
And this is the problem. You're running around carrying a ton of extra space/weight to fix something you don't need to fix. Or you can just use the proper tools and not

It's like saying "I don't know why people bother to have properly inflated tires. I just carry a full patch kit, four spares, a hydraulic lift and a mechanic in my trunk."*

*(OK, not really - accept hyperbole in the spirit with which it's intended.)
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by guller
I use the folders regularly. They still leave folded creases but less overall wrinkles. I wouldn't travel without them now.
I second the motion.

Just be careful not to over-compress them (as I was tempted to do in my first trips), because it will increase the risk of wrinkles.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm male. I too love my Eagle Creek Pack-It folder. It's excellent for shirts and pants. My wife got jealous, so I bought one for her as well (with zebra stripes, of course).

I used to pack pants flat at the bottom of my suitcase and put packing cubes on top of them. Pants would usually move in transit and arrive at my destination wrinkled. Pants now go into the Pack-It and arrive just as I packed them.

I used to put shirts (button-down, polos, and T-shirts) into a packing cube (from eBags). They wrinkle less inside the Pack-It.

When arriving at a new destination for a short stay, I only remove the items I am going to wear each day. Everything else stays inside the Pack-It for very quick and easy suitcase packing when I'm ready to depart.

When doing laundry, once shirts and pants are dry, they go back inside the Pack-It.

We travel internationally for 3-4 weeks at a time. I need the Pack-It plus 2-3 packing cubes and I'm set for a long trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.