LVMH takes control of Rimowa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More; LeClub Accor
LVMH takes control of Rimowa

BBC News : http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37549157
"LVMH bags German luggage firm Rimowa"

I wonder what the future holds now? Price increases? Style at the expense of design and reliability?

Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Martin Rickman
BBC News : http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37549157
"LVMH bags German luggage firm Rimowa"

I wonder what the future holds now? Price increases? Style at the expense of design and reliability?

Price increases -- including via tighter distribution -- and more upscale product positioning is not to be ruled out.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:57 am

Better buy more why it is still on the cheap..!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:02 am

I'm a fan of this deal.
There may be some price increases but LVMH's approach is generally not to interfere too much with the brands they buy. They also do not like to dilute quality, preferring instead to raise prices if they really need to push margins.

I think their likely approach will be to:

1. Increase the breadth of the product line. Rimowa are slow to come out with models historically, but the company has reached the scale today where it can accelerate releases. This helps broaden the appeal of the brand, and also helps re-engage existing owners around repurchases.

2. Increase distribution through investments in marketing and channels.

3. Push the top-end of the line. Look for designer/artist collaborations (like the existing Rimowa-Moncler) and more stylized options (like the Bossa Nova).

It's unlikely that they will dilute Rimowa's brand identity by compromising on German quality or getting rid of the signature groove design, etc. LVMH are very sensitive to managing brand integrity and preserving the cult community around their brands...they are looking to build generational businesses so they don't like thinking short-term just to make a quick buck.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm not a fan of this type of consolidation, but I'm not too worried that LVMH is going to interfere with the core of the Rimowa brand. I just hope they keep the service levels the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.