Wiki Posts
Search

Packable Emergency Check-in Bag

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Packable Emergency Check-in Bag

Hello,

I am looking for a bag that is packable but built well enough that I can use it to check-in a tripod and monopod (no more than 15inches total length each) when forced to.

Doesn't have to be padded, just something that doesn't take up much space. I'm thinking I'd just wrap my tripod in a jacket or some clothing, that have it checked.

I try to avoid checking luggage, and right now I travel with 2 carry-ons - an Outlier UHB backpack for clothing and a Filson zippered tote for electronics. Neither of which I want to check in.

I've recently acquired a travel tripod and monopod (both collapse to less than 15inches in length each) and while I can actually carry both in my carry-on with no problem, I am based in Asia, where tripods are occasionally not allowed in hand luggage. (e.g. Manila and Singapore, based on previous experience. But I used to have separate checked luggage, so it wasn't really a problem for me back then.)

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I use this Eagle Creek packable bag, it lives in my main carry on luggage. It is made using a ripstop material so is stronger than most packable day bags. I regularly carry laptops and tripods and other heavy-ish items with no trouble, admittedly I don't check the bag but it should be ok in this respect if only packing tripods though ^

Last edited by Matrick; Sep 19, 2016 at 12:39 pm
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:07 pm

Another option

Red Oxx XS Aviator bag? Packs flat. Tough. Great warranty.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:08 am

+1 on the Red Oxx Aviator.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I've been using le sportsac weekender duffels for years for this purpose (well, the duffel brings home dirty laundry and souvenirs can go in the rolling bag) I found them discounted at outlets, they're bright enough to be easily found at baggage claim. Not as light as a ripstop nylon but they work for me.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
^ to the le sportsac weekender duffels.

Very easy to spot and much tougher than I originally expected. Not only has the fabric held up well, the seams are still tight. The bag has been loaded with weight and over-stuffed in ways I'm sure it was never designed to handle - but it does.

I've got cheaper lightweight nylon and cordura duffels, too. The fabric is wearing, but my real source of concern is the stretching evident in the seams. They're OK for dirty clothes, but I wouldn't put boots or any kind of heavy object in them and I have to keep the weight very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.