Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on recommendation to manage lots of in seat crap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Carry on recommendation to manage lots of in seat crap

I realize there are a zillion of these threads but nothing that really comes up that answers my question.... maybe there is no good answer.

I recently started travelling domestically for work (coach) and at 50 years old, and overweight at 270 lbs and 6'2" with a bad lower back, the cross country trips are killing me. And now they're adding international travel (coach). Over the next few months I have to do US to Singapore, India and Australia (including a dreaded DFW>SYD).

Cross country, I often land with migraines due to spine compression (yes I've seen doctors and PTs. I have the same issue sitting in desk chairs that aren't ergonomic). I've started traveling with an inflatable lumbar cushion which has helped some. I've also ordered a seat cushion based on recommendations from another post in this forum. At my seat I also generally have a battery pack, charging cables, neck pillow, eye mask, kindle, water bottle, two phones, and a small zipper pouch which I jam the small stuff into.

It's getting to be too much to pull all of this stuff out of my laptop back pack, toss my backpack into the overhead, and jam all this crap into my seat and seat pocket. I'm starting to hold up others trying to manage all of this while boarding. And once there's someone seated next to me, if I drop something on the floor, there's no way in hell I can pick it up.

Any recommendations on a bag that makes more sense than a backpack and a bunch of loose crap? Perhaps even something that can double as a footrest? Or that hangs off the seat in front. I don't know.

Yes I know, I'm not a great candidate for flying so often and I need to lose a bunch of weight. But it is what it is. At least I don't need a belt extender
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Hmm... just came across this thing which is certainly a step in the right direction.

http://www.geniuspack.com/collection...cts/flight-bag
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

What I want is apparently called a seatback organizer. Looks like there used to be a few that were better than the one above but are no longer made. This is about the best I can find that's still available. The Zen Nirvana looks like it would have been a step up.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:36 am

Scottevest I have one and love it

http://www.scottevest.com/index_first_visit.shtml
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
What about a Cocoon Grid IT

There are a number of differnet styles.

Alternatively, perhaps a re-purposed hanging wash bag might work?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
There's a similar thread on this that you can reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-my-seat.html
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
There's a similar thread on this that you can reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-my-seat.html
THanks, I did find that thread once I learned that I was searching for an organizer, but I really like the idea of the seatback organizer now that I know they exist. But it looks like my choice is extremely limited. Wish I could find one of the older products that are no longer available, but they're not even on eBay.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Not quite responsive, but you might want a slightly different strategy, along the following lines:

1) Always choose an aisle seat, which allows you to get up walk around when you want, relieving back pain and providing you access to your stuff.
2) Don't put all the stuff in your seat pocket, or in front of you. Do you really need two phones for the entire flight? Kindle? Charging cables and laptop?
3) Have a small thing you can grab out of your pack that you need when you sit down (maybe a phone, charging cable, and water bottle). Toss that on the seat, put backpack in overhead, and then sit down.
4) Have backpack well organized, you you can get up, pull out kindle (or other item), and sit back down easily.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I wound up getting the Flight 001 Seat Pak, because the large rear pocket fit my 7" tablet with just the right amount of free space. None of the pockets are sized specifically for phones or pens, though, which is a nuisance; they just rattle around in larger pockets.

I was in the discussion that MtlTourist mentioned; the Japanese line discussed there (also available on Amazon) may fit your needs although the sizes didn't work for my tablet.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:53 pm

how do you always get to put both your briefcase AND your main carry on in the overhead bin. Do you always fly biz or first class?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't a diaper the usual tool for containing crap?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by robr
I realize there are a zillion of these threads but nothing that really comes up that answers my question.... maybe there is no good answer.

I recently started travelling domestically for work (coach) and at 50 years old, and overweight at 270 lbs and 6'2" with a bad lower back, the cross country trips are killing me. And now they're adding international travel (coach). Over the next few months I have to do US to Singapore, India and Australia (including a dreaded DFW>SYD).

Cross country, I often land with migraines due to spine compression (yes I've seen doctors and PTs. I have the same issue sitting in desk chairs that aren't ergonomic). I've started traveling with an inflatable lumbar cushion which has helped some. I've also ordered a seat cushion based on recommendations from another post in this forum. At my seat I also generally have a battery pack, charging cables, neck pillow, eye mask, kindle, water bottle, two phones, and a small zipper pouch which I jam the small stuff into.

It's getting to be too much to pull all of this stuff out of my laptop back pack, toss my backpack into the overhead, and jam all this crap into my seat and seat pocket. I'm starting to hold up others trying to manage all of this while boarding. And once there's someone seated next to me, if I drop something on the floor, there's no way in hell I can pick it up.

Any recommendations on a bag that makes more sense than a backpack and a bunch of loose crap? Perhaps even something that can double as a footrest? Or that hangs off the seat in front. I don't know.

Yes I know, I'm not a great candidate for flying so often and I need to lose a bunch of weight. But it is what it is. At least I don't need a belt extender
I use an ebags packing cube for my in flight stuff. It has a carry handle which I thread through the seatbelt to keep it from falling on the floor. It might not be large enough for all you mentioned but it works nicely for kleenex, purell, chapstick, phone, tablet, etc. Ebags has different sizes. It's easy to stash back in my underseat bag before landing and I have yet to leave anything on the plane.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penguino
I use an ebags packing cube for my in flight stuff. It has a carry handle which I thread through the seatbelt to keep it from falling on the floor. It might not be large enough for all you mentioned but it works nicely for kleenex, purell, chapstick, phone, tablet, etc. Ebags has different sizes. It's easy to stash back in my underseat bag before landing and I have yet to leave anything on the plane.
Good idea. You can get such packing things in various sizes, get whatever you need.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:42 am

Flight 001 recently released the Seat Pak Pro.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edcaya
Flight 001 recently released the Seat Pak Pro.
Ooh! Thanks for the heads-up.

P.S. Upon further examination, they've way overshot the mark for my needs. Fits 13" tablet, and over-ear headphones? We're no longer talking compact fits-in-seat-pocket size. I've sent them an email suggesting a compromise product: Fits 10", has the various doc, phone, pen, cable pockets, is only slightly (if at all) thicker than the Pak. In a couple months I'll be able to buy that and be in nerdvana.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Aug 11, 2016 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.