The Medium
Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:57 am

Hi, I'm looking at getting the Bigger carry on with external pocket, anyone had any experience with these on Virgin Atlantic?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: M/M
Just like many other carry-on luggage that is advertised as "plus" or "bigger" or "larger", these trollies generally exceed carriers' advertised carry-on limits.

In this case, with Virgin Atlantic, this is still the case.

The "Bigger Carry-On w/Pocket" exceeds VA's dimensions by less than 1" inch on each side.

Carrier restrictions are 9 x 14 x 22 with the trolley measuring 9.6 x 14.7 x 22.7.

So technically, this bag is in excess.

Knowing so, you'll most likely still be able to get "AWAY" with bringing this bag on-board, as VA operates a wide-body fleet completely capable of storing this trolley in the overhead compartment.

Just know, if you are ever asked/told to gate check, don't say VA never warned you.

Enjoy your travels on the Scarlet Lady!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Thank you for all the reviews and feedback on Away luggage. I am currently going back and forth on whether to buy the Bigger Carry On or look for another brand.

I have never had a spinner suitcase in my life, so I am not familiar with their operational capabilities... I know that most people roll them while they are vertical. This seems very "leisurely". That's the best way I can describe it. I've been in a few situations where I've had to walk very quickly with my bag to catch my next connection. Can you easily hustle through an airport or train station with these? Can they be tilted to roll? I have a feeling, in the beginning, I may be stuck with my old habits and try to tilt them to drag behind.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: M/M
The four-wheel trolley has its benefits and shortfalls, like any other design.

Depending on the brand/design/etc of your four-wheel trolley, it may roll "easily" across a smooth surface (think tile, hardwood, etc). However, you will have to exert force in pushing a four-wheel trolley across airports that utilize carpets in their common areas (think Singapore's Changi Int'l).

Not all four-wheel trollies are built the same. The design, and assemblies for the wheel components differ between manufacturers and performance differs between hard/soft luggage. Some companies components are easier to replace than others.

You will always have the option to "pull" your trolley, like the two-wheel counterparts. If you revert to your old habits, at least you have the option to exercise two or four wheels.

Best of luck on your purchase decisions!
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Ive found the 4 wheel works well on most carpets (DEN, PDX come to mind off hand) and moves with ease...on denser carpets at places like hotels (or streets with cobbles/etc) its a little more difficult and I tend to pull it from behind me on two wheels. I really think the 4 wheel is the best of both since you can move it either way based on the terrain. I would also say the Away wheels are decently better than my old Samsonite I came from or many of the cheap 4wheel luggage options out there.

When I am moving fast to make a connection I usually use the 4 wheels and not 2 behind me...I think its a bit easier to maneuver around slow walkers and such that way.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:21 pm

Trying to use this bag on carpet in airports was the primary reason that I have now thrown it in my basement after 250K miles over two years (with the “Bigger Carry-On”). As much as I tried to convince myself that I loved the bag, ultimately it’s not a road warrior piece. They bags are cute, they don’t break (but obviously are plastic) and they are well-priced. From a rollability and wheel perspective, my Rimowa is in the different league that it should be given the price difference. For an occasional or leisure travel, Away bags are fine. For the few who travel as often as some of us on this forum do, they’re a middle of the road bag priced as a middle of the road bag.
fishy21 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:22 pm

Torn between Away Aluminum vs ARLO SKYE Aluminum vs Iroion aluminum
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
Trying to use this bag on carpet in airports was the primary reason that I have now thrown it in my basement after 250K miles over two years (with the “Bigger Carry-On”). As much as I tried to convince myself that I loved the bag, ultimately it’s not a road warrior piece. They bags are cute, they don’t break (but obviously are plastic) and they are well-priced. From a rollability and wheel perspective, my Rimowa is in the different league that it should be given the price difference. For an occasional or leisure travel, Away bags are fine. For the few who travel as often as some of us on this forum do, they’re a middle of the road bag priced as a middle of the road bag.
The wheels on away vs rimowa are very similar. Handles are different though for the polycarbonate versions so I think that would be why...I felt the away poly handle was a bit more loose than Rimowa or the Away Aluminum (still cheaper than Rimowa poly) has just as good of a handle as Rimowa and is great on carpet. It also has a much better internal packing compression system. Rimowa is maybe worth $100 or so more than Away but no way its worth 3x more the cost. Oh and they only have a 5yr warranty now vs lifetime from Away...

Originally Posted by krotondo
Torn between Away Aluminum vs ARLO SKYE Aluminum vs Iroion aluminum
Check out my review post from Aug 1 last year - I did a really detailed comparison of Away and Arlo Skye. In short - Away is better due to two main things: the internal packing compression system and lifetime warranty. I can also attest that their customer service is great and turnaround time is quick. Looking at the Iroion bags they do have a decent 15yr warranty but their internal packing system is like that of Arlo Skye/Rimowa (basically useless). After having my Away bag for over a year now (and traveling 2-3wks of the month the entire time) its still holding up great and I like it even more. Here is a $20 off link - http://ow.ly/HTIz50wHvTl

Last edited by RoyMan; Oct 10, 2019 at 6:32 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:36 pm

Well I ordered The Bigger Carry On to try for my upcoming Vegas trip. I will attempt to pack 6 days worth of clothes in there. Has anyone purchased the Away Weekender Bag that slides nicely over the handle? I'm looking to get a good soft sided bag for other trips and was curious about the durability of that one.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:30 pm

Can’t comment on the weekender, but just make sure that you don’t put too much additional weight on the bag if you intend to roll it on carpet (at Vegas hotels and at LAS in part of the terminal). Again, not jabbing at the bag as I had it and used it for years, but the not-so-great wheels are even more challenged when carrying additional load on the telescoping handles and particularly if heavy.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Well I ordered The Bigger Carry On to try for my upcoming Vegas trip. I will attempt to pack 6 days worth of clothes in there. Has anyone purchased the Away Weekender Bag that slides nicely over the handle? I'm looking to get a good soft sided bag for other trips and was curious about the durability of that one.
I don’t have the Weekender but I do have the Anywhere bag so FWIW here are some observations about that model. I’d been looking for literally years for a bag that has this particular combination of features. I like the size (smaller than the weekender, I think - sits perfectly on my Rimowa IATA spinner) and the internal organisation in particular works well for my needs (goldilocks pockets &#128514. I bought a leather version so can’t comment on the durability of the nylon version. Even the leather version is very lightweight and comfortable to carry over the shoulder. If you were considering the Anywhere as well, I’d say it is too small to use as a one bag solution unless you are an extremely light packer, but as a companion item to a wheeled carry on or checked luggage it is very useful. HTH
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by RoyMan
Check out my review post from Aug 1 last year - I did a really detailed comparison of Away and Arlo Skye. In short - Away is better due to two main things: the internal packing compression system and lifetime warranty. I can also attest that their customer service is great and turnaround time is quick. Looking at the Iroion bags they do have a decent 15yr warranty but their internal packing system is like that of Arlo Skye/Rimowa (basically useless). After having my Away bag for over a year now (and traveling 2-3wks of the month the entire time) its still holding up great and I like it even more.
Thank you for the detailed review - this sealed the deal for me, after a ton of research I keep going back to the away especially at the price!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
To be clear, are you comparing a 4 wheel Away to a 4 wheel Rimowa is a 4 wheel Away vs a 2 wheel Rimowa?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:35 am

4 wheel Away to 4 wheel Rimowa. Specifically, an Away “bigger carry-on” to the Rimowa original Cabin Plus.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by RoyMan
I fly on UA's regionals at least once or twice a month. The main problem with rollaboards is the gate agents push the green tags on all of them since many will not fit and can also cause weight/balance issues. I know my bigger aluminum will fit on the embraer 175 no problem. Not sure on the rj145 (cant remember the last time I flew one of those). The past few times I have been on a crj200/700 have been tight connections and I was late to board so I had to gate check. I want to say it will fit, but im not 100% sure..flying on one in two weeks so I will test it then and let you know!

Hey Roy,

Were you able to bring on your Bigger Carry-On onto the CR700? Have an upcoming trip on a regional jet and would rather not bring my Away Aluminum if it requires a gate check.

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.