Rimowa Re-design for 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.

I noticed a couple weeks ago on the Lufthansa worldshop site it notes that Rimowa is doing a 2016 re-design.

Also found this (https://twitter.com/mgns/status/712740677289959424) tweet response on twitter, looks like it's actually happening.

Anyone know anything more?
Old May 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Chute! Is there a difference between a "trolley" and a suitcase?

I mean is it only the cabin line that is going to be redesigned or the whole line. I was about to order a sport "suitcase"...
Old May 24, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

im not sure, the LH worldshop has some weird naming conventions (ie "Alu collection" vs "topas")

same here, i was about to buy a topas stealth carry-on but then stumbled on this and now dont know what to do

would also be nice to know if it's a large functional/feature re-design or just a small color addition or aesthetic change.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:47 pm

Did you find any other links in the Internet on the re-design? Rimowa is (also) for the fashionphile. This crowd spends vast amounts of time scanning the Net for rumors. They should have unearthed some bits of rumor already. I couldn't find anything on a short search.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:20 am
Original Poster

ok so just got off the phone with LH worldshop.

Looks like the re-design is going to include the electronic-tags across their whole line, even carry-ons (which is kinda useless no? unless im missing something).

In addition they are going to be releasing a true US domestic sized carry-on in every line/color (ie alu and poly).

No timeframe yet just "sometime in 2016"

Please take this information with a grain of salt as it is from a dealer...but im pretty sure we wont be missing anything revolutionary if we buy now.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:16 am

Hello, last week I bought a Topas 2-wheel carry-on, not the multiwheel since I don't like it one bit.

I bought it from Germany, it's the same as this but 40 instead of 42 cm.

The 40 cm one that I bought is not available anymore on the website I used, would it be a reasonably safe bet to say that the one I got was maybe one of the last old versions on the market? Now that I see this one I linked though, mine doesn't have the blue logo on the front, but a subtler silver one near the top if I am not mistaken.

Incidentally if that's the case I am actually happy, I didn't want the multiwheel to start with.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Nice! Hope they make a dark gray one in aluminum.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:37 pm

New Topas design

Was just looking on Rimowa website for a titanium Topas and noted this:

"Some time in 2016, the series will be available in a new design. The design differs from the cases shown here."

Any more info?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:39 pm

It's on the one's with the new electronic luggage tag too
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
The electronic tag is going to be the future! Assuming it's hacker-proof.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: UA, Amex Platinum
New design

So I just bought a Topas 53 from the Rimowa San Francisco store and I asked about the redesign. The change is has to do with the grooves stopping before the corner reinforcements. Basically, the corner reinforcements are going to be on a flat surface rather than the grooves just like on the polycarbonate ones (i.e. limbo). That's what I was told by the manager. No official timeframe yet but they said probably around the end of the year.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by bumfluff
ok so just got off the phone with LH worldshop.

Looks like the re-design is going to include the electronic-tags across their whole line, even carry-ons (which is kinda useless no? unless im missing something).

In addition they are going to be releasing a true US domestic sized carry-on in every line/color (ie alu and poly).

No timeframe yet just "sometime in 2016"

Please take this information with a grain of salt as it is from a dealer...but im pretty sure we wont be missing anything revolutionary if we buy now.
I don't think it's useless - I always use a carry-on, but there is 2% of the time that I want to check my bag, and it would be cool to have an etag
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:02 am

I think this may be the new design? The side pegs are different (ugly), but new shape looks to be less round.

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/...2662-92052004/
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:28 pm

Unlikely if it's digital.
There's what's been hacked, and there's what's not yet been hacked.

Originally Posted by flipstah
...Assuming it's hacker-proof.

Last edited by GoRavens; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
not to go off topic from rimowa, but speaking of luggage redesigns, came across this article - seems like a really smart savings of space.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3061843/...-louis-vuitton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.