Wiki Posts
Search

Best back pack

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Best back pack

What is the best back pack for carry on incidentals?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Carry on incidentals? I like your way with words!:-:

So you are looking for a bag for those instances when you have shopped too much yes?

Then what you want if you want to travel light as a one bag ninja...

Is a bag in a bag or a bag in a pocket. Me myself uses this one the Gonex 25 l:

Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Travel Backpack, Packable Daypack Ultralight Small Backpack for Hiking Cycling Sports, Camping, Travelling(Blue) : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Travel Backpack, Packable Daypack Ultralight Small Backpack for Hiking Cycling Sports, Camping, Travelling(Blue) : Sports & Outdoors

I have this color way though but currently not available:

Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Travel Backpack, Packable Daypack Ultralight Small Backpack for Hiking Cycling Sports, Camping, Travelling(Green) : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Travel Backpack, Packable Daypack Ultralight Small Backpack for Hiking Cycling Sports, Camping, Travelling(Green) : Sports & Outdoors

It folds into a small pocket and can be used as emergency luggage space for when you need it... I also use mine for storing groceries when on self catering vacations and can also be used as a solution for the occasional day trip hike.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:19 am

Looking for best types of backpack would never be that easy. There are lot of choices to choose. FYI, it is recommended to be knowledgeable enough to what are some good qualities of a backpack to look for.

You may want to read the articles below. I believe that these would be helpful in choosing the right backpack that is most suitable to you.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpack.html
http://www.articlesbase.com/shopping...u-7329632.html
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa.../Buying-Advice

Or for more options, you can scan more of them by visiting known brands for luggages (suitcases, backpacks or briefcases) in the world. Examples are:

Briggs and Riley - http://www.briggs-riley.com/
Tumi - http://intl.tumi.com/

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The Bach Itsy Bitsy. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24839446-post8.html osamede's recommendation which I followed and I'm glad I did.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
My preference is for a carryon backpack that hold everything I need.

I like:
Tom Bihn Tri-Star
Goruck GR1, GR2
5.11 Rush 12/24/72
Osprey Porter or Farpoint 40
eBags Weekender Convertible.

If you are looking for a small "Personal item" Check out Tom Bihn's site. They have everything from light "daypacks" through a dedicated personal item called the nightflight.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
5.11 Rush 12/24/72
As an alternative to the military look, look at the 5.11 Covrt:

Amazon.com: 5.11 Tactical Covrt18 Backpack: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: 5.11 Tactical Covrt18 Backpack: Sports & Outdoors

I bought one for each of my two kids to take to high school. This is the third year they've been using them where the cheap ones would be falling apart in less than one school year.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
I am the OP of this thread Lightest small day backpack to carry laptop , and ended up buying this one:
Amazon.com : Gonex Ultra Lightweight Packable Backpack Hiking Daypack Handy Foldable Camping Outdoor Travel Cycling School Backpacking(Black) : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Gonex Ultra Lightweight Packable Backpack Hiking Daypack Handy Foldable Camping Outdoor Travel Cycling School Backpacking(Black) : Sports & Outdoors

Could not be happier, used it on several long distance flights for one or two laptops and iPad, and/or some other "incidentals". Super light, sturdy enough for my use.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a north face surge. Love it. It's been all around the world with me. Quite a few smaller zipper pockets to keep small stuff organized and plenty of room to carry a laptop, iPad and a change of clothes.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:15 am

tough call. if I'm taking a flight where i'll need my camera, a dedicated camera backpack is my choice. if not, and it's a local trip via car or someone else is driving, I usually pack my osprey 46 and a mountainsmith fanny pack..... (yah, I know, but it's sooooooo handy...)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Stanley Chan
Or for more options, you can scan more of them by visiting known brands for luggages (suitcases, backpacks or briefcases) in the world. Examples are:

Briggs and Riley - http://www.briggs-riley.com/
Specifically, the medium or large clamshell packs from the Baseline Collection.

Not cheap, but comes with lifetime guarantee.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Check out the Timbuk2 Rogue Laptop bag. Pretty slick design, and cost effective.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mustang281man
I have a north face surge. Love it. It's been all around the world with me. Quite a few smaller zipper pockets to keep small stuff organized and plenty of room to carry a laptop, iPad and a change of clothes.
+1

I had a NF Borealis for 10 years. Other than a few stains, it looked/worked like it was brand new. No issues with any of the zippers, ever.

I retired it and bought a NF Surge II. Its been through 200k miles, 200+ flights, 3 cruises, and 14 countries in the last 4 years and is bullet proof.

You can't beat it for $100.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:01 am

In my arsenal, I have the following (forgot the year I got them though):
*TNF Heckler
*TNF Jester
*Eddie Bauer (Expedition I think?)

*When I went to Japan (for 2 weeks) and Manila (for 1 week) back in 2014, my hand carry pieces consisted of an osprey porter 46 and another backpack similar in size that carried my camera gear.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:48 am

Goruck GR1 --hands down the best all around back pack!!!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I just bought Osprey Farpoint 55 backpacks for myself and Mrs. GlobeTrttr. We took them on our honeymoons to the Virgin Islands and Europe this year.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance and price. Lightweight, easy to pack, and they hold a lot. The load is mostly distributed to your waist and off your back. The detachable daypack is very useful as a carry-on for essentials, if you choose to check the main pack. I carried on everywhere I could and have fit it in B767, A330, and Md88 bins with no issue. Only times I had to check were on intra-European flights where size and weight limits are lower, but I think I may have been able to get away with it if I bothered to weigh before flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.