Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry-on: Backpack and notebook bag?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Very general, basically for every airline I might be flying with: Is it possible to bring a camera backpack and a separate thin notebook/mesenger bag for a 15" notebook?
Basically I'm looking to buy a new camera backpack, and I could chose one with a notebook compartment, but then I'm carrying this extra weight for a bigger backpack and the compartment around with me while I'd only need this compartment when actually traveling.

Are there airlines that won't allow the additional notebook bag as carryon luggage?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:42 am

Easyjet will only allow one bag.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
In general, that should be fine for most larger carriers. However, it does depend on your carrier. The best thing to do is to check on any of the airlines you might be flying to determine what their specific requirements are, as they can vary significantly across carriers.

As mentioned, Easyjet (and some other European low-cost carriers) will only allow one bag, period, and that bag must meet certain size/weight requirements.

In the US, Spirit is the most strict, allowing a single personal item (size restrictions) for free, and a true carryon being an additional charge.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by romana2
Very general, basically for every airline I might be flying with: Is it possible to bring a camera backpack and a separate thin notebook/mesenger bag for a 15" notebook?
Basically I'm looking to buy a new camera backpack, and I could chose one with a notebook compartment, but then I'm carrying this extra weight for a bigger backpack and the compartment around with me while I'd only need this compartment when actually traveling.

Are there airlines that won't allow the additional notebook bag as carryon luggage?
The "rules" in most cases say 1 bag that can be stored in front of you and 1 "personal item" like a purse. So it depends on the size of the notebook bag.

How much more does a bag with a compartment weigh as opposed to one without a compartment?

The biggest concern if it were me is that if you board with both and if the airline decides their isn't enough storage space or that your 2 carry-ons violate their rules, it will be your camera backpack that they will take away from you and check as luggage. Do you want to risk having your camera bag and equipment tossed into the baggage compartment?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The "rules" in most cases say 1 bag that can be stored in front of you and 1 "personal item" like a purse. So it depends on the size of the notebook bag.

How much more does a bag with a compartment weigh as opposed to one without a compartment?

The biggest concern if it were me is that if you board with both and if the airline decides their isn't enough storage space or that your 2 carry-ons violate their rules, it will be your camera backpack that they will take away from you and check as luggage. Do you want to risk having your camera bag and equipment tossed into the baggage compartment?
Still looking at suitable backpacks, but those that carry a 15" notebook are obviously rather large. And I'm not a tall person. Those with notebook compartment weigh in at about 1.3-1.8kg while those that are much smaller (my photo kit isn't that big!) about 0.8-1.3kg. I'd need to transport the notebook only on the plane, while the backpack is also for sightseeing and hikes.

Just a thought... I saw a few backpacks to which you can attack a skateboard and the likes. What about tying the notebook in it's thin cover/bag to it the same way? Would airlines have a problem with that?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
When confronted with one item and I have a camera backpack and notebook bag I just lash the two of them together using lashing straps from MEC/REI or any outdoor oufitter
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
When confronted with one item and I have a camera backpack and notebook bag I just lash the two of them together using lashing straps from MEC/REI or any outdoor oufitter
Yes, that's what I mean You never had any problems with that?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just don't strap it together in front of the GA during the boarding process.
Discretion is the key.

Also you need to make it neat and tidy so it looks like one piece and not two pieces rigged together.

It would also help if the two bags are the same ballistic black.

My experience is mostly with SE Asian LCCs.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:20 am

Just don't strap it together in front of the GA during the boarding process.
Discretion is the key.

Also you need to make it neat and tidy so it looks like one piece and not two pieces rigged together.

It would also help if the two bags are the same ballistic black.

My experience is mostly with SE Asian LCCs.
You can also put a raincover over it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

I generally travel with a single bag... into which I jam my smaller Laptop Bag. I use a Tom Bihn Daylight briefcase or a Tom Bihn Cache to protect my laptop, then just put it in a suitable compartment of my larger bag.

Often I'll use either a Tom Bihn Tri-Star, RedOxx Skytrain or Goruck GR2 and put the Daylight briefcase inside whichever one I happen to be using. When I arrive at my destination, I leave the backback behind and take only the Daylight briefcase which I use like a messenger bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.