FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1749394-wrist-check-watch-you-wearing.html)

DaveBlaine Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD (Post 26313440)
Is this real? I can't stand his voice or anything else about him.

Hard to say if it's for real or a schtick.

JohnnyColombia Mar 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine (Post 26313611)
Hard to say if it's for real or a schtick.

I have seen a few of Archie's videos. He used to be courteous and on the money in terms of expertise. You look at his older videos and you see comments like "Hey Archie look how excellent your videos were before you became a fat obnoxious tool"

He has a rundown of top ten grail watches, which is on point. But the video above is just embarrassing. He was trying to scrape a living from YouTube and would post any old chaff. I suppose like bad blogs, one runs out of things to talk crap about.

DaveBlaine Mar 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 26314076)
I have seen a few of Archie's videos. He used to be courteous and on the money in terms of expertise. You look at his older videos and you see comments like "Hey Archie look how excellent your videos were before you became a fat obnoxious tool"

He has a rundown of top ten grail watches, which is on point. But the video above is just embarrassing. He was trying to scrape a living from YouTube and would post any old chaff. I suppose like bad blogs, one runs out of things to talk crap about.

Speaking of Watch-reviewing You-Tubers....What do you think of The Urban Gentry?

lhgreengrd1 Mar 10, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 26314076)

The persona in the video commented on above - minus any genuine expertise - is a fair representation of the sort of tool that I mock with my $35 fakes.

JohnnyColombia Mar 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine (Post 26314104)
Speaking of Watch-reviewing You-Tubers....What do you think of The Urban Gentry?

I only saw one of his videos, the one where he is talking about counterfeits whilst wearing a Seiko SKX007.

I like the watchuwantinc channel. They sell watches but do some very measured videos about watches they have to offer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpn...ZPk1QoHUAAJUnQ

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 (Post 26314165)
The persona in the video commented on above - minus any genuine expertise - is a fair representation of the sort of tool that I mock with my $35 fakes.

I still maintain that I have never met anyone like that. Mocking them with a $35 fake watch is rather passive aggressive though. If you genuinely meet people like this, why not just punch them?

DaveBlaine Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 26314216)
I If you genuinely meet people like this, why not just punch them?

Or kick them in the taint.

;)

GUWonder Mar 10, 2016 2:24 pm

I found a Casio watch that was given to a relative nearly four decades ago from my estimate. Save the battery replacement issues, the watch still works well and looks nearly as good probably as when it was new. And its wee bit of metal content wasn't enough to trigger the WTMDs for the better part of its history. And it's waterproof enough and objectively cheap enough that I still do wear it sometimes. Not as memorable as some of those Swatches and She-Ra-Princess-of-Power watches, but still. :D

A waterproof/water-resistant watch is very useful when at a hotel where there is no easy way to see the time while using the bathroom.

DaveBlaine Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 26314627)
a Casio watch

Make/model/pics?

NeilA Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Nomos Tangomat, Grand Seiko SBGX117 here.

Rolex isn't for me.

deniah Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 (Post 26299505)
IMHO, the purpose of jewelry is to externally display status to the community at large, which I consider to be an arcane and obsolete concept in the human condition in the 21st century.

I enjoy the watches for their function and intricate craftsmanship. Primarily from independent German manufacturers, because they attract no attention.

Nothing gaudier than those tacky watches like from Hublot and Breitling. That's why I steer clear of Rolex and other recognizable marks. (Although I had to grab an Omega Speedmaster... just too classic)

Most recent acquisition was a Grand Seiko Spring Drive... limited edition and only distributed through a few dealers in Japan. After a long hunt it passed through many sets of hands as proxy couriers before arriving to me. Upon receipt, my girlfriend remarked "you're buying so many watches, so why don't you save for 1 nice one like a Rolex instead of this normal Seiko" :D:D:D

JohnnyColombia Mar 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 26315393)
I enjoy the watches for their function and intricate craftsmanship. Primarily from independent German manufacturers, because they attract no attention.

Precisely, and with a German brands such as NeilA's Tangomat, you also buy it for a young company respecting tradition and making a very good go of it. Nobody is going to know what it is if they see one.

Nothing gaudier than those tacky watches like from Hublot and Breitling. That's why I steer clear of Rolex and other recognizable marks. (Although I had to grab an Omega Speedmaster... just too classic)

I occasionally wear a Rolex 14060 on an olive green NATO and the only people that notice it are watch dealers and strippers. My most recent acquisition was a Moonwatch and personally I do not like the bezel on them. I got a great discount on it and it will sit in the safe until I choose to liquidate it. So much for showing off. Absolutely nobody will see it.

Most recent acquisition was a Grand Seiko Spring Drive... limited edition and only distributed through a few dealers in Japan. After a long hunt it passed through many sets of hands as proxy couriers before arriving to me. Upon receipt, my girlfriend remarked "you're buying so many watches, so why don't you save for 1 nice one like a Rolex instead of this normal Seiko" :D:D:D

Tell her you do not want to splurge too much on watches because you are saving up for a new girlfriend :)

flyboy_421 Mar 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Two tone Rolex Sub, Model 116613. Had it for a number of years and love it. When it went in for cleaning I tried the Apple Watch. Liked certain aspects of it, but not as much as my sub.

deniah Mar 11, 2016 1:43 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 26315741)
I occasionally wear a Rolex 14060 on an olive green NATO and the only people that notice it are watch dealers and strippers.

Thats an absolute iconic model. And ive got my eye on the green Milgauss, if i could ever get over the whole Rolex recognition thing

TOMFORD Mar 11, 2016 7:02 am

Originally Posted by NeilA (Post 26315175)
Nomos Tangomat, Grand Seiko SBGX117 here.

Rolex isn't for me.

I said the same about Rolex until I got a sign on bonus enough to buy half a dozen Subs. Not trying to rip on you, but Rolex certainly is "for" you if you're wearing something that shares so much with the iconic Submariner.

TOMFORD Mar 11, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 26315741)
I occasionally wear a Rolex 14060 on an olive green NATO and the only people that notice it are watch dealers and strippers. My most recent acquisition was a Moonwatch and personally I do not like the bezel on them. I got a great discount on it and it will sit in the safe until I choose to liquidate it. So much for showing off. Absolutely nobody will see it.

Will you share where we can buy comfortable Nato straps please, mine irritates my skin :(