Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Business Traveler Carry On ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

First Time Business Traveler Carry On ?'s

Just got a new position with my company that will require me to travel about 40% of the month. Each trip will be 2 to 3 days. I will need to carry 3 dress shirts, at least 2 dress pants, and 2 blazers along with dress shoes. Would prefer not to check bags and am looking for a recommendation on wheeled carry on luggage that will fit these needs. All of my travel will be domestic US and most on American/U.S. Air. Price is secondary to getting the storage I need. I hate to iron so I'm looking for a system that will minimize wrinkling.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:54 pm

What is your budget? Do want 2 wheels 4 wheels or no wheels? Hard side or ballistic nylon?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Based on your requirements and the amount of travel you are going to do, I would not bother with cheapo luggage. Luggage takes a lot of abuse and the cheap bags fall apart fast and just aren't worth the hassle, IMHO. Just go ahead and invest in a high-end bag with an unlimited lifetime warranty that even covers airline damage.

There aren't very many brands that have a warranty like that, my own favorite is Briggs & Riley. And my favorite carry on from B&R is the Torq Spinner.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mellonc
What is your budget? Do want 2 wheels 4 wheels or no wheels? Hard side or ballistic nylon?
Budget is up to $1,000. Not sure on other questions as I'm brand new to traveling. I want something that is going to be easy to get in the overhead bins, so if hard side is difficult, I would go nylon. Only suitcase I ever used for vacation is 2 wheels and I'm happy with that, but would be open to 4. Main concern is being able to fit in the blazers, pants, and shirts in a fashion that minimizes wrinkles.

Appreciate the help!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:00 am

My set up:

(I also have the older version of this)
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Do you really need to pack 2 blazers and dress shoes? Propper and efiicient planning can eliminate the need for the bulkiest items you're thinking of packing.

1.) Plan your outfits around a single jacket, belt, and shoes.
2.) Wear said jacket/belt/shoes with a single pair of jeans both coming and going.
3.) Pack your shirts, pants, etc.

For 2-3 night trips you should be able to pack in a rolling tote type back (
B&R U116 B&R U116
is the flag-bearer in the category, but the
Eagle Creek ES2 Round About Eagle Creek ES2 Round About
is an amazing value at $71 and sometimes dips as low as $35).

I'm currently on a 3-night trip using the Eagle Creek bag and this method, and have easily packed 2 pairs of dress pants, extra jeans, 2 dress shirts, a polo shirt, 4 under shirts, 3 pairs of boxers, 3 pairs of socks, flip flops, and toiletry bag. It's an odd mix because of playing golf with a client tomorrow morning and not wanting to wear those clothes the rest of the day.

I've pretty easily done 4-night trips as well with 4 dress shirts, 3 dress pants, 4 boxers, 4 under shirt, and 4 pairs of socks (re-wearing the single pair of jeans as needed). 2-night trips even leave room for running shoes, especially since boxers and socks can be packed into the running shoes to save some thickness.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
$1000 should buy you a pretty nice bag. B&R seems to be the brand of choice for guys in your shoes.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Go for proper packing and If you are carrying tie, then I would suggest you to get a good quality tie case; because ties are more prone to wrinkling. Stack your clothes properly and keep a plastic bag or paper in between the two clothes. Keep heavy stuff at the bottom and light on the top. Try to minimize the space in your bag by doing some very common things like keeping socks inside the shoes, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DinaP
Go for proper packing and If you are carrying tie, then I would suggest you to get a good quality tie case; because ties are more prone to wrinkling. Stack your clothes properly and keep a plastic bag or paper in between the two clothes. Keep heavy stuff at the bottom and light on the top. Try to minimize the space in your bag by doing some very common things like keeping socks inside the shoes, etc.
good quality tie case, yes. also good luggage has a long/straight and flat compartment that stores ties. you probably won't have to buy a separate tie case unless you are buying one of these soft fabric bags (Tom Bihn) where you have to buy a separate storage for everything.

by the way, ties don't wrinkle. At least all silk ties don't wrinkle. Ties wrinkling is an old wives tales which originated from the early days when they used fillers to hold the shape of the tie. Modern ties are folded silk 100%. ("folded" meaning that internal structure is the same material folded from the same stuff showing on the outside - thus it costs more). If it wrinkled how can you make all these knots like Full Windsor, Half Windsor and still expect to have it come out straight after that?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Unless you've already done that type and amount of travel already, I recommend you get a cheap bag or use an older one for a three or four trips. That should allow you to create a wish list.

Once know what you require in terms of size (I learned a 22 in is too large for me most of the time), compartments, suiter, etc., come back and it'll be easier to steer you in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong, we can give you advise but it's probably more helpful once you know what you need. No need to spend $500 twice on two amazing bags just because the first one doesn't really work for you.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
The dark horse candidate is the Kirkland Signature 21.5" Carry on:
http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa....11760915.html

I had a Tumi T-Tech bag before that broke and replaced it with this. So far, I've been pretty happy traveling every week with this (especially at that price point). It seems well built, has plenty of space, and fits nicely in the overhead bin (exception would be the first row of First Class on an AA or DL 737 where the curvature of the plane makes the bins not quite as deep as a regular bin).

Downsides: It's a heavy bag- >11 lbs when empty.

Yes, the B&R, Tumi, and Travelpro bags are great, but from a value perspective, it is tough to beat the Kirkland Signature.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I agree, from a value perspective, if you decide to go with a bag that big (it's what I'd normally use for 4-5 nights or more) then the Kirkland bag is where I would start... It's pretty much a Tumi Alpha clone at a ridiculously great price point. You also have the Costco return policy for not just warranty but if carry on regs tighten to the point that it can't be use as such you can just return it for a full refund. It's a great bag at a great price and a true risk free purchase.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I swear by my Travelpro Crew 10 22 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter.

22x14x9, TRUE dimensions. I use the suiter feature to place dress shirts and/or a suit jacket. I use a dry cleaner bag before putting in the items and it minimizes wrinkles.
I traveled weekly, 4 day trips every week with this carryon and swear by it. If you steam your dress shirts in your hotel shower for a few minutes, it also minimizes wrinkles and no iron will be needed.

You can get it at Amazon or Macy's. I bought mine at Macy's for about $170.

Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Macy's:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/t...GAGE_STYLE%3D2 Wheel%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D13%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1 1
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I swear by my Travelpro Crew 10 22 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter.

22x14x9, TRUE dimensions. I use the suiter feature to place dress shirts and/or a suit jacket. I use a dry cleaner bag before putting in the items and it minimizes wrinkles.
I traveled weekly, 4 day trips every week with this carryon and swear by it. If you steam your dress shirts in your hotel shower for a few minutes, it also minimizes wrinkles and no iron will be needed.

You can get it at Amazon or Macy's. I bought mine at Macy's for about $170.

Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Macy's:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/t...GAGE_STYLE%3D2 Wheel%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D13%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1 1
The Kirkland fits that use case to a T for $70 less and with a return policy (warranty) you can actually trust. I love my 20" Crew 9 and haven't had any problems with it but I wouldn't buy Travelpro again unless at near disposable price points due to the repeated horror stories of denied warranty repairs even on the Platinum and Flight Crew lines.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:14 pm

I've been rocking the original Costco/Kirkland carry-on (not the hybrid thingee) for 7 years now, in use every week. Great bag. Fits in RJ overhead compartments as long as you don't expand it, wheels out IIRC. Fits in A32x overhead compartments fully expanded.

I do like suiters, BUT I like traveling without checking luggage even better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.