Wiki Posts
Search

Lightweight visibility vest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Lightweight visibility vest

I am seriously considering adding a lightweight visibility vest with pockets so that I can have passport, wallet similar stuff on me if there's an evacuation. And of course get it in before landing/takeoff. I am just wondering whether anyone did this and if so which vest would you pick?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:37 pm

Like one of these?

I understand carrying your wallet and passport with you but I think donning a vest is a little overkill. Not to mention the reaction from other passengers!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:41 pm

A hi-vis vest seems a bit much, no? You might be mistaken for ground crew!

If you're set on this plan, there's loads of not-ugly reflective gear for cyclists you could probably repurpose.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Afraid of another Asiana crash-evac and getting run over by first responder's heavy duty gears ?? just pack some velco hi-reflective tape by cyclists on their arms and/or legs - "deploy them" in case of emergency -

now, do you carry a go-kit in your EDC ?

Postscript / edit - just returned from Taiwan/South Korea trip & found these in the local Japanese Daiso (equivalent of 99 "cents") store for less than $1 USD each set, the smaller/shorter ones are better suited for backpacks & pouches to increase visibilities, but the longer yellow hi-visibility "adjustable" straps are designed for ankles & arms, easy to put on/off. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 19, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by chx1975
I am seriously considering adding a lightweight visibility vest with pockets so that I can have passport, wallet similar stuff on me if there's an evacuation. And of course get it in before landing/takeoff. I am just wondering whether anyone did this and if so which vest would you pick?
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
Like one of these?

I understand carrying your wallet and passport with you but I think donning a vest is a little overkill. Not to mention the reaction from other passengers!
Seeing you are a YVR FTer: There is Canadian law regarding unauthorized use of these apparel on federal grounds. Federal law governs federal properties; airport grounds are federal property.

Moral side of the argument: If you are not a first responder, wearing one of these in an emergency situation would lead to more confusion and loss of life.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
now, do you carry a go-kit in your EDC ?
I only have a Style PS. My EDC-fu is weak. I'm planning on adding a Doc Allen's VersaTool and an Engineer TWM-08 wrench but neither of those are particularly good / useful in a survival situation.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: US Gold
What about pink? They do make bright pink hi-vis vests (and for cyclists these pop a lot more in country settings than the traditional yellow), and you can find them easily on eBay. Would that also fall foul of the Canadian rules? Is it *any* hi-vis clothing or those specific colors and styles?

wg
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: Skywards
OP

You could get an AyeGear Vest and then apply hi-viz strips to it, should be relatively easy to do with the iron on 3M strips.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:30 am

Why not do something a little less flashy? Wearing a construction vest is gonna make you look silly aha.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
OP

You could get an AyeGear Vest and then apply hi-viz strips to it, should be relatively easy to do with the iron on 3M strips.
No need to do that, they already make one in a standard Hi-vis top!
http://www.ayegear.com/products/ayegear-hv-13

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.