Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Lat56 Road Warrior 2 wheeled bag review (photos and a video).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lat56 Road Warrior 2 wheeled bag review (photos and a video).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: Accor (Gold), IHG (Gold), Bonvoy (F&F)
I have this 2 wheeler from Lat56 - it's lovely, and seems super well built to last. Sure, it's not huge inside - though i manage to fit in a lot more than i expected and it conforms even with Ryanair's hand-luggage rules.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:22 pm

After reading numerous reviews on the Lat56 suit folding system, I purchased their Road Warrior case, and have never been more disappointed. There is nothing like spending 3 hours the first morning of a trip looking for a drycleaner to press a suit and two shirts that arrived in absolutely horrific shape. To top it off, they ignored 3 separate emails seeking for help on returning the product, and only responded via American Express after I reported them for false advertising that once the suitcase is used, it cannot be returned. First off, they could have responded to me directly with that information, and secondly, that is a pathetic attempt to avoid having to stand behind a poorly designed product. I now own a $450 laundry bag. I should have stuck with Tumi or Briggs & Riley...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Interesting (and very unfortunate experience).

A little something I was forced to do with my Gate8, on every trip, is a quick "Turkish bath" (so you really don't need to look for a dry cleaner - just fire up your shower with hot water, and close the bathroom door), to get the shirts and suit unwrinkled. Obviously this is not how one wants to travel, so the Gate8 bag is now collecting dust in the basement - (will post a comprehensive video and photo review soon) so I definitely understand your unhappiness with the bag. Never tried to return anything, so can't comment on the return process.

I've never had any disastrous wrinkling issues with Lat products, so I'm really curious as to your suit size (I think larger suits are Lat's weakest spot, because of the bag dimensions) and what else you've had in the bag.

The above is not an attempt to be an apologist for Lat's products, but something for the community to be aware of (lest flame wars begin)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:17 pm

I thought the whole idea of the premium suitcase was to prevent the need to press and / or steam one's clothing upon arrival!

As long as I pack carefully, I've never had this issue with my older Hartmann shoulder bag, which is holding together just fine.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA
@DrSavant are you still using this bag? Can you comment on non-business travel with it? How is the suit section for use with packing other clothing items. My concern with this bag is that it is about 2 inches shallower than most.

I believe that the current model available is different than yours?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

@theshaun - Yes, still using, very actively (to the point of ruining the rubber on the trolley handle, and performing a surgery on the laptop bag).

Yes, there is a newer model, which took good user feedback into consideration, with the biggest improvement, imo, being the side handle - makes lifting the bag into overhead bins a lot easier.

It it would be hard for me to comment on non business travel, since I never had the opportunity or the desire (I guess) to apply it otherwise - I also own the 4 wheel version, which is perfect for non business travel, as it doesn't have space taken up by the suit packing system - maybe it would be more suitable to your needs?

I did try taveling without a suit - just a casual jacket and casual pants, with a couple of dress shirts - identical result to my usual packing.

Originally Posted by theshaun
@DrSavant are you still using this bag? Can you comment on non-business travel with it? How is the suit section for use with packing other clothing items. My concern with this bag is that it is about 2 inches shallower than most.

I believe that the current model available is different than yours?

Last edited by DrSavant; Jul 9, 2018 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Hi there, I’m having trouble understanding the actual real estate in that bag. Based on your comments, I’m assuming 4 shirts + 1 suit + 1 casual attire + 1 gym outfit wouldn’t fit as the bag is too slim. Am I right?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disinto
Hi there, I’m having trouble understanding the actual real estate in that bag. Based on your comments, I’m assuming 4 shirts + 1 suit + 1 casual attire + 1 gym outfit wouldn’t fit as the bag is too slim. Am I right?
No, you're not if you are an average sized male (I'm 6'/181cm, 177lbs/80kg for reference), you can easily fit what you've described (obviously you should wear your gym shoes and pack your dress shoes - that's what I do).

I usually have a suit and 2 to 3 shirts, a pair of shoes, a bunch of t-shirts, underwear, socks, toiletries, cables, etc, and I'm good for a 1 week trip (2 weeks if I do a bit of laundry on the road - once did 3 weeks like that).

The shirts come out a bit crumpled in this setup - a quick Turkish bath in the shower, and they are like new.

Recently I tried my Gate8 bag, which was collecting dust for a few years, to remind myself why I chose lat56 - the shirts were ready to wear, but the bag wasn't wheelable in an aircraft aisle, and kept toppling over. Traveling in 3 days, back with my trusty Lat (they sent me a brand new handle replacement, btw, pretty much overnight).
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Still having some troubles How could you fulfill a full work week with just 2-3 shirts? Assuming casual Friday, I’d still need to pack 4 shirts, and you’re telling me that you already see some crumpling with 1 suit + 3 shirts.
Also I would never wear gym shoes outside the gym, so would instead wear a pair of loafers to pass the security checks more easily or a
pair of sneakers and pack low profile gym shoes instead.
My problem is that nobody owns this bag remotely close to wear I live (Bangkok) so it’s really hard to get decided. Thanks for your comments and review so far – they’ve been extremely helpful.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disinto
Still having some troubles How could you fulfill a full work week with just 2-3 shirts? Assuming casual Friday, I’d still need to pack 4 shirts, and you’re telling me that you already see some crumpling with 1 suit + 3 shirts.
Also I would never wear gym shoes outside the gym, so would instead wear a pair of loafers to pass the security checks more easily or a
pair of sneakers and pack low profile gym shoes instead.
My problem is that nobody owns this bag remotely close to wear I live (Bangkok) so it’s really hard to get decided. Thanks for your comments and review so far – they’ve been extremely helpful.
Ah, but that is easy. You see, I used to travel with a big Samsonite, packing 3-4 different suits (yes, you're reading it right ), plus tons of shirts, for a work week. That was, until I got "baggage shamed" by a former boss, and embarked on a quest to become a one bag ninja (I went soft since, and technically carry 2 bags now - the rollaboard and a laptop bag).

The trick is quite easy - a bunch of different ties They make the presentation of the shirts completely different. Of course, there's always a caveat, for someone who sweats heavily, or just absolutely has to wear a fresh shirt every day. I belong to neither category, so I can often get away with wearing the same shirt twice - there's the work week.

As for shoes, I travel wearing a pair of UnderArmour sneakers, which double as running shoes and gym shoes, and I pack my dress shoes in the rollaboard. Occasionally, I have to carry additional stuff (I was once invited to play in a charity soccer game in Africa, so I brought my own shin pads, cleats, etc) - I just used a very small backpack or even an Apple store style drawstring bag, carried outside the rollaboard.

Regarding the reviews - always happy to help. I'm addicted to luggage, and I have reviews of a bunch of other things coming up (one of which I really can't imagine how i survived without, all these years )

I've been to Bangkok a lot recently - would've shown you my kit in person - unfortunately the project I had in Myanmar is over, so don't know when I'd be back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.