Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for ultralite backpack for walking the Camino

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Recommendations for ultralite backpack for walking the Camino

I am planning a 10-12 day trip next year to walk a part of The Camino (Santiago) in Spain (100-150 or so miles). I need an ultralite backpack (under 3 - hopefully less than 2lb) that can hold maybe 3 days worth of clothes, sleeping bag, etc. I will have access to washing machines most nights but I am a notorious overpacker. I am also not a really experienced hiker (yet) so am new to the backpack market. I hope to do about half of the total

Any other product suggestions or packing ideas would be appreciated.

As always, so appreciate your input.
Thank you!
Meg
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I get along well with Rick Steves Appenzell.

I originally bought it for my grandkids, as I had a full-sized backpack. But I took it on a shorter trip once, and it worked so well it has been my primary one ever since. I've used it to hike across England - Hadrian's Wall route. It happens to be on sale right now too.

The only thing it is missing is a chest strap. I solved that by cutting an interior quick-lock strap out of a older suitcase and hand-sewing it on.

If your pack gets heavier, one of those waist belts would be good, but mine was light enough the shoulder and chest straps sufficed.

It won't hold a sleeping bag, but you could tie that on top.

Absolute max of three outfits. All light-weight quick-dry poly stuff. But really good wool socks, sock liners, and great boots. My boots were Ahnu from REI. Absolutely NO BLISTERS on the last hike.

I brought along a fairly ugly pair of extremely light-weight Crocs for times I didn't want to wear the boots. They served as shower shoes and for wading.

Romelle
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
As an avid backpacker, I highly recommend you go to an outdoor store and try on a bunch of packs. They'll have weighted bags you can use to load up a pack. Buying a pack for backpacking is really personalized, since we all have different body types and they all wear differently. When you try on packs in a outdoor store, the person there will spend a lot of time with you making sure you are sized correctly. It can be a lot of fun trying on new packs. Sounds like you won't be carrying too much gear, so you'll be able to get away with a fairly small pack. I see that you are in San Diego. Go check out REI. Also check out a local store, they'll often carry manufacturers that REI doesn't have. I use an Ospry and they have a wide assortment of sizes, much more than when I got my bag 8 years ago. My wife has a Dueter but they tend to be heavier. Most of the major company's that make backpacking style packs really are good quality. It comes down to how it feels and your preference for options. Other good brands that I can think of off the top my head, Gregory, Ospry, Dueter, REI (worth checking out), and North Face. I haven't been a huge fan of North Face backpacking packs but that just personal preference and how they have fit my body

Waist belt is a must but I'm usually carrying heavier loads (tent, stove, water fileter, etc...) It's personal preference, but I never you a sternum strap.

There was a great ultralite company, golite, but they went out of business recently.

Good luck and let us know what you get
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
I don't know if they're light enough for you but my favourite brand is an Australian brand - one planet. I love the harnesses and durability of the fabric.
A new Zealand brand - aarn - works on a 'balance' principle. Google it for an explanation. I haven't tried it out in the field.
I know osprey is huge in the US but their harnesses really didn't do it for me.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
Ps sorry to be negative but north face clothing is great, but their packs are more fashion than field imho.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

I did go to REI this week and there were way too many choices - good idea to go back and spend more time trying each one on. I may order the Rick Steve's recommendation - very light and a great price - just may be too small for me for this trip but will check it out. Thank you all for your input!Meg
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Dont order withy trying it out! A backpack is like shoes: it can break your hike if it doesn't fit correctly.

Go to your local camping store or REI. Load a bunch of bags and try them. There are a couple of large ultralight backpacking communities online which you may want to check out.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
There are reviews of the Rick Steves Appenzell on eBags and Amazon. Probably other places as well. While the bag does indeed work for me, I hope you read the reviews first ...

I'm a fairly average-sized female - 5'5". Semi-fit.

The Appenzell is considered a "day bag", rather than a real full-sized back pack.

It used to be possible to find Rick Steves luggage on other general sites, but he seems to have pulled back to just his own web site now. At least the products are no longer on several I just checked, and I'd also looked some time ago and found the same thing.

I do also use the bag for more general travel. I only resort to the roller bag when I need to look slightly more respectable than a back-packing grandmother.

There is a good discussion on the merits of various light weight bags HERE. Some of the other posters took me to task for my bag not having the hip belt, and made good arguments. Worth reading, IMHO.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Jun 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Megcom
I am planning a 10-12 day trip next year to walk a part of The Camino (Santiago) in Spain (100-150 or so miles). I need an ultralite backpack (under 3 - hopefully less than 2lb) that can hold maybe 3 days worth of clothes, sleeping bag, etc. I will have access to washing machines most nights but I am a notorious overpacker. I am also not a really experienced hiker (yet) so am new to the backpack market. I hope to do about half of the total

Any other product suggestions or packing ideas would be appreciated.
The lightest possible pack isn't going to be the pack that's the best at carrying any appreciable load.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold
Try to go to REI when it's not busy, like when they open up. The one in my area is a mad house starting mid morning. Find someone in the packs section and tell them what you are looking for. They'll spend time with you and offer a selection for you to try.

Also, if you don't have one already, I recommend a compression bag for your sleeping bag. It really helps reducing the size, especially if you are carrying a synthetic sleeping bag.

I'll echo what others say but a backpacking type pack really needs to be tried on in a store. If you aren't familiar with the packs, a good store attendant will help you adjust for comfort...there are a bunch of different straps.

"back-packing grandmother" That's bad a$@ !
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Most definitely don't order online. The feel of a backpack on you is very personal, it needs to be right for you.

Definitely do return to REI, and do so when you can devote the time to try on, put those that are "maybes" aside, once you are done with the first round, re-try the "maybes", and get a smaller amount aside, then re-try again until you find the perfect one for you.

Chest strap and hip straps will help distribute the weight.

I'm a traveling g'ma too. It own five backpacks, it was trial and error to find the perfect one for me.

I wish I had done what I am recommending to you.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The lightest possible pack isn't going to be the pack that's the best at carrying any appreciable load.
Ditto this.

I found that out the hard way when I bought a day pack. First went to the spec busters, but teventually settled on Deuter Futura 32 which in theory was the heaviest in my shortlist, but ultimately the right choice as the fit was right and when loaded the best fittng backpack actually felt easier to carry.

I'd figure out and buy the contents you need first, get the lightest weight components that can serve the needs. Buy all that stuf first.

Then assemble those things and see what kind of weight and volume you're looking for. That leads you to a shortlist of backpacks that can do the load spec. From those, pick the most comfortable pack with features that you need, if there's a tie then go with the lighter one. .
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: CX Silver
I wore an Osprey Stratos 34 on my Camino. It weighs 2lbs 12oz. I was torn between the Stratos and another slightly lighter Osprey pack, but the Statros fit just a little bit better.

The Stratos has panel access on top (sort of like a regular bookbag) and also bottom access. I hate packs that are only top loaders.

Like others recommended, go to REI and try a bunch of packs with some weight in them. I found my 34L bag to have plenty of space, and I wouldn't go any bigger. I brought 2 sets of hiking clothes, sleeping quilt, running shorts to sleep in, toiletries, and some flip flops for the shower.

Enjoy your Camino !!!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

The Osprey Stratos is on my short list now. Can I ask what time of year you went (weather). Also, why a sleeping quilt rather than lite weight sleeping bag? Did you do the entire walk?
Thanks again! Meg
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used my Osprey Atmos 65 for multi night hikes. In looking at this page (never heard of the Camino myself - but now that I'm looking at it, it reminds of a Paulo Cohello book I read a while back, can't remember the name of it though!)

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spai...Santiago-Sucks

Doesn't look like you need to carry much of anything - honestly, the way this looks, a simple day pack will do. Carry 3 pairs of lightweight socks, 2 pairs Ex-Officio underwear, and either Vdri or Airism undershirts, and you'll be fine. Maybe 1-2 shirts in addition to what you're wearing and 1 pair of shorts or lightweight trekking pants to walk in + 1 water bottle that can be refilled easily & a couple of granola bars each day and you should be fine.

Not sure your physical condition, but 10 miles a day is basically about 6 hours of walking...you may cover more ground than you think, especially since it seems like a pretty flat walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.