Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance- Best policy for Weather delays (hurricane, cyclone, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance- Best policy for Weather delays (hurricane, cyclone, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by DRORA
Thank you Exec_Plat

In my case I just had a trip interruption with the credit card that I purchased the ticket
I fell and broke my knee cap on my trip to Israel the doctor said stay of your feet for a week

I just paid the difference in ticket price and came back home when I was able to tolerate the thirteen hour flight. did not need to be evacuated.

For the future I would like to be able to buy travel insurance, and are looking for a company that will cover
trip interruption for medical reasons and extend my stay as per doctor advise, which is less expensive than emergency evacuation.

Thanks again for your recomendation
Most policies will cover this. Just looking at the travelex (and there are MANY others) there are clauses that apply.

Do recognize that in the situation you describe you simply cannot say "I stayed 1 week, pay me". You will need to notify the insurers and they will contact the doctor (or their docs as well) to determine what it the best way medically to get you home. They may put you in a special seat, a gurney, or extend the stay. YOU dont get to decide.

(Hint: get the doctor to create a recommendation and document the grim situation so they cannot just say "take some pain pills and learn how to use crutches". If you were to fess up with your doc about the situation with travel insurance, they will be able to buttress the medical record....)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Then Transamerica said "it must be pre-paid prior to leaving- a credit card guarantee with a future 100% penalty will not qualify".
Luckily those types of booking policies are very rare - only a credit card guarantee required at time of booking, but full penalty for cancelation.

Especially for luxury hotels, the majority require some sort of deposit (1-3 nights usually) and the penalty for canceling your reservation is the same as cost of the deposit. Or they require full prepayment at time of booking and it is fully nonrefundable.

The major chains may only require a credit card guarantee, but they usually also allow cancelation up to one day prior without penalty, and only one night penalty thereafter.

Of course there are always exceptions.

The challenge is in understanding the reservation policies, but once you know what they are it is easy to understand your potential liability should you need to cancel or depart early.

Or you could just book prepaid rates.

Last edited by luxtrvlwrks; Sep 1, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Or you could just book [p]repaid rates.
if there are prepaid rates.

Ultrahigh end properties tend not to have more than one rate
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
if there are prepaid rates.

Ultrahigh end properties tend not to have more than one rate
This is where a TA may be able to help. Just because a hotel doesn't offer a prepaid rate direct does not mean it is not available through a tour operator or wholesaler.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if just talking about paying in advance, always possible
many use wire transfers, especially those without US credit cards

luxtrvlwrks, common for certain kinds of properties/periods, which is all we are talking about

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.