Search

Personal item that's not a backpack

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Personal item that's not a backpack

What can I use as a personal item that's not a backpack? Most bags I find are businessy briefcases. For personal travels, I just want a bag that can carry some clothes and a small laptop, but not a backpack. Any recommendations?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:43 am

What is you budget?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:08 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
When you say "personal item", do you include a carry on bag? There are many carry on luggage items that incorporate a laptop compartment. What you get would depend on your budget.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:21 pm

My $ .02

If you use a padded sleeve for your laptop, (and the laptop isn't over 15") you might want to think about the Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator. I use an Eagle Creek 15" folder inside mine to hold a few shirts and a change of underclothing. I then wrap my trousers around the folder in a quasi bundle fashion. I normally don't travel with a laptop, but I can still fit a set of Bose QC 15 headphnes (with case), an Ipad Air, and another Eagle Creek quarter cube conatining travel meds inside. Ditching the headphones and Ipad would free up enough space for the computer.

Another option would be the Briggs & Riley 231x Expandable Cabin Bag. It might have more of a business look than you want, but it's very versatile and will fit the personal item spacers as long as you don't expand it.

Lifetime guarantees on both.....no questions asked.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
You don't really say what your budget is and I'm sure there will be a lot of suggestions but I would recommend a Herschel Backpack. It has a padded and lined laptop section, easily fits a 13" MBP, along with a small internal pocket and an external pocket for easy access to items. The main compartment is massive and can store lots of items but when it's not full it doesn't look too big. Nice padded straps and back section for when it is full.

I got mine last year and use it as my only bag for short trips and also as my second carry on personal bag without issues. Various colours and textures to choose from.

Sorry I've just re-read that you don't want a backpack. Im an idiot!

Last edited by DaveNCL; Apr 18, 2015 at 2:16 pm Reason: Need to read carefully before posting!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mellonc
What is you budget?
Budget? How expensive do they get? Let's say $1000, but I would prefer a leather one, but no obvious branding (e.g. no Gucci canvas prints or anything). I do not mind buying used either, especially if it's leather, since it'll show some nice aging without any efforts needed on my side.

Originally Posted by wharvey
When you say "personal item", do you include a carry on bag? There are many carry on luggage items that incorporate a laptop compartment. What you get would depend on your budget.
When airlines say you can have one personal item and one carry on, the carry on usually means the cabin-sized roller right? And a personal item could be a purse, backpack, etc? Budgeted at $1000. I do not need a cabin roller suitcase / carry on.

Originally Posted by LiveOak
If you use a padded sleeve for your laptop, (and the laptop isn't over 15") you might want to think about the Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator. I use an Eagle Creek 15" folder inside mine to hold a few shirts and a change of underclothing. I then wrap my trousers around the folder in a quasi bundle fashion. I normally don't travel with a laptop, but I can still fit a set of Bose QC 15 headphnes (with case), an Ipad Air, and another Eagle Creek quarter cube conatining travel meds inside. Ditching the headphones and Ipad would free up enough space for the computer.

Another option would be the Briggs & Riley 231x Expandable Cabin Bag. It might have more of a business look than you want, but it's very versatile and will fit the personal item spacers as long as you don't expand it.

Lifetime guarantees on both.....no questions asked.
I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon, I think it's 14 inch? But it's pretty thin. I do not have a laptop sleeve, but would not mind getting one. I like the B&R. Cheap too ^

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
You don't really say what your budget is and I'm sure there will be a lot of suggestions but I would recommend a Herschel Backpack. It has a padded and lined laptop section, easily fits a 13" MBP, along with a small internal pocket and an external pocket for easy access to items. The main compartment is massive and can store lots of items but when it's not full it doesn't look too big. Nice padded straps and back section for when it is full.

I got mine last year and use it as my only bag for short trips and also as my second carry on personal bag without issues. Various colours and textures to choose from.

Sorry I've just re-read that you don't want a backpack. Im an idiot!
I like Herschel backpacks.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a Briggs BRX duffle that matches my suitcase. It's quite nice, IMO. I think I paid $100ish for it, has a shoulder sling strap and hideaway backpack style straps. Fairly simple and straightforward bag that I can pack 2-3 days worth of clothing in easily.

There are so many small duffle options out there. For nicer stuff there is Filson, Tumi, Saddleback, etc - then on the higher end there are things like Lotuff.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:44 pm

Stylish stuff

http://billykirk.shopgate.com/item/333534303334363635

http://www.tumi.com/p/everett-essential-tote-022340HKH

http://lodgegoods.com/collections/ba...ivertote-black

http://coronadoleather.com/i-19428138-cxl-duffel-5.html

Last edited by Mellonc; Apr 20, 2015 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:23 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Nice, I like the Tumi a lot. Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Filson just redesigned their Sportsman's bag. It's slimmer and easier to carry than the predecessor, which is still available from some retailers. The new one dropped the side zipered pockets with organizers in favor of a button-secured bellows pocket on the front and 2 handy envelope/document pockets on the other side. Each end has a bellows pocket that holds water bottles - and they are much easier to access than the slip pocket by the strap ring in the old bag. The main compartment holds my 13" MBP in a Waterfield sleeve. It's a nice alternative to one of my backpacks as a personal carry-on item.
Filson Heritage Sportsman

One issue is the cost - $360. Something similar would be the Red Oxx Beanos PR4 for half the price, but mine won't take my 13" laptop.

(I gave my old Sportman to my nephew who is using it as a range bag.)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by agp423
Budget? How expensive do they get? Let's say $1000, but I would prefer a leather one, but no obvious branding (e.g. no Gucci canvas prints or anything). I do not mind buying used either, especially if it's leather, since it'll show some nice aging without any efforts needed on my side.

When airlines say you can have one personal item and one carry on, the carry on usually means the cabin-sized roller right? And a personal item could be a purse, backpack, etc? Budgeted at $1000. I do not need a cabin roller suitcase / carry on.

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon, I think it's 14 inch? But it's pretty thin. I do not have a laptop sleeve, but would not mind getting one. I like the B&R. Cheap too ^

I like Herschel backpacks.
You said leather. If you like leather, handmade products and a lifetime of the item (not yours) warantee, this is the place to shop, bar none.

They have dimensions for all their products and have several in the under the seat size.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This is what I use although it may be a bit too brief-case looking for you. Provided it is not expanded it meets the personal item dimensions of the sizers that I've tried (AA, UA and AC)

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...31X&sec=travel
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AATrout
Filson just redesigned their Sportsman's bag. It's slimmer and easier to carry than the predecessor, which is still available from some retailers. The new one dropped the side zipered pockets with organizers in favor of a button-secured bellows pocket on the front and 2 handy envelope/document pockets on the other side. Each end has a bellows pocket that holds water bottles - and they are much easier to access than the slip pocket by the strap ring in the old bag. The main compartment holds my 13" MBP in a Waterfield sleeve. It's a nice alternative to one of my backpacks as a personal carry-on item.
Filson Heritage Sportsman

One issue is the cost - $360. Something similar would be the Red Oxx Beanos PR4 for half the price, but mine won't take my 13" laptop.

(I gave my old Sportman to my nephew who is using it as a range bag.)
I like the utilitarian look and I love me a good waxed cotton, but I don't know if it's worth the money, given how much comparable Tumi and B&Rs cost. And I would imagine Tumi and B&R to last longer.

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
You said leather. If you like leather, handmade products and a lifetime of the item (not yours) warantee, this is the place to shop, bar none.

They have dimensions for all their products and have several in the under the seat size.
Haha, one less reason for me to take care of my health...

Originally Posted by Badenoch
This is what I use although it may be a bit too brief-case looking for you. Provided it is not expanded it meets the personal item dimensions of the sizers that I've tried (AA, UA and AC)

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...31X&sec=travel
Seeing as this has been recommended twice already - it must be good. Can this be un-expanded so it's more like a briefcase than a bag?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by agp423
Seeing as this has been recommended twice already - it must be good. Can this be un-expanded so it's more like a briefcase than a bag?
It looks very much like a large briefcase when unexpanded. Expanded however it is larger than personal item dimensions.

Unexpanded I use mine as a personal item/briefcase along with a small rolling bag when I'm travelling carry-on only. If I'm checking a bag or making an overnight business trip this becomes my sole carry-on in its expanded form.

If you can try and see on in person.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:28 am

I've used my timbuk2 command messenger (large size in my case) for a few overnight trips without an issue. I've fit large laptop, toiletries, EC 15" folder, etc all inside without any issues. Looks casual yet really isn't out of place in business setting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.