Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Item "Under the Seat in Front of You" Bag Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Personal Item "Under the Seat in Front of You" Bag Reccomendations

My needs:

- Must fit under the seat in front of me. I fly Domestic in the US 90% of the time, and any international flights will be out of the US, so I shouldn't be *too* restricted there
- Have a strap/mechanism for sliding onto the handle of a roller bag.
- Also ideally not super dorky looking. I think the Tom Bihn stuff looks cool enough.
- Ideally have optional backpack straps. I plan on either carrying this bag with my hand or using a shoulder strap, but in certain travel situations, using it as a backpack would be super useful! That said, this isn't a must.

What I usually pack in this sort of bag:

- 15" Inch Macbook Pro Retina (thin, but yes a bit wider than a 13" laptop) Laptop
- laptop charger, phone/tablet charger
- Couple magazines or book
- Boarding pass, tablet, etc.
- Bose QuietComfort Headphones (this is important because these always are tough to fit because of how deep the case is)
- Random items that may have not fit in my larger roll aboard or, if needed, checked bag
- Water bottle and/or snack

I point out the Bose headphones because when I use my current personal item (a Thule bookbag), they don't fit great, and the book bag is tough to get (items end up going to the bottom of the bookbag, very hard to get!)

What I've looked at so far:

I first looked at this Patagonia bag: http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-tran...oulder-bag-26l

Then I started getting more serious and looking at other bags. Like...

http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0950.html (seems to be missing a way to slide it on to a roller bag)

http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/pilot.html (No back pack straps but everything else. So far a favorite)

Are any of these too big? It seems the "personal item" definition is pretty undefined for airlines.

Other recommendations?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Briggs and Riley 231X

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...31X&sec=travel
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Eagle Creek adventure weekender
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-advent...g/d/1200_cl_-1

Width (13") and depth (8") should be fine to fit underneath (these are actually about the same as my backpack), but the length (20", about 3" longer than my backpac) may mean it'll protrude somewhat, but not that much. You should be able to manage in most cases, except where the spaces are narrow due to electrical/entertainment boxes.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:15 am

The eBags Professional Slim Backpack is a pretty good option, especially as you can usually get the 20% discount code to work with it. I ordered this bag a few months ago, coming from an older Delsey roll-aboard case, to have
a) a light backpack that
b) looked professional
c) easily slides over a carry-on handle
d) fits a 15" MBP
e) fits under all airline seats I've tried, including those stupid aisle seats that lose half the space to a powerbox or what not

It fits the bill on all of that. I like the fact that the bag is all black, has very few if any rings and clips and straps and what all, and that the backpack straps can be detached and "hidden" if you want to carry this more as briefcase style. I also like there's a pocket inside with a keeper-strap (to click your keyring to). This bag is *not* terribly expandable - so if, say, you're checking out of your hotel in the morning, and you go buy 4 cans of Diet Mtn Dew to take to a client site for the all-day mtg, and you want to stuff those cans of Diet Mtn Dew into your bag which already has your cables and notepads and MBP and what all... that might be a tad tricky.

Other "knocks" on the bag - the clips that attach the backpack shoulder straps are plastic and definitely cheap, imo stupid place for eBags to try and shave cents off the cost. The zippers are ok, but no great shakes. I personally like the style of the bag that has multiple small compartments vs "one big place to toss stuff", but decide for your self - the video on the eBags site represents that pretty well.

Overall, in the sub-$200 category, I thought this was the best option for looking "professional" *and* sliding over a carry-on handle.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NDS88
The eBags Professional Slim Backpack is a pretty good option, especially as you can usually get the 20% discount code to work with it. I ordered this bag a few months ago, coming from an older Delsey roll-aboard case, to have
a) a light backpack that
b) looked professional
c) easily slides over a carry-on handle
d) fits a 15" MBP
e) fits under all airline seats I've tried, including those stupid aisle seats that lose half the space to a powerbox or what not

It fits the bill on all of that. I like the fact that the bag is all black, has very few if any rings and clips and straps and what all, and that the backpack straps can be detached and "hidden" if you want to carry this more as briefcase style. I also like there's a pocket inside with a keeper-strap (to click your keyring to). This bag is *not* terribly expandable - so if, say, you're checking out of your hotel in the morning, and you go buy 4 cans of Diet Mtn Dew to take to a client site for the all-day mtg, and you want to stuff those cans of Diet Mtn Dew into your bag which already has your cables and notepads and MBP and what all... that might be a tad tricky.

Other "knocks" on the bag - the clips that attach the backpack shoulder straps are plastic and definitely cheap, imo stupid place for eBags to try and shave cents off the cost. The zippers are ok, but no great shakes. I personally like the style of the bag that has multiple small compartments vs "one big place to toss stuff", but decide for your self - the video on the eBags site represents that pretty well.

Overall, in the sub-$200 category, I thought this was the best option for looking "professional" *and* sliding over a carry-on handle.
Interesting. It comes in at 200 cubic inches less than the Patagonia 26L I was looking at (if I am to believe patagonia's dimensions), but does have a lot of nice features. That bottom crush-proof section seems quite nice. I also use an eBags carry on roller (thing is like 5 years old and looks brand new) so them working together is kind of an extra benefit.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of that crush proof bottom, or would you be willing to measure ? I don't think it would go far back enough to fit my Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones in their case (or without the case!) in any way, but if they did, that would certainly make this a big contender (the darn Bose case is such an awkward shape and size). Otherwise, seems like a good place to put power cables and cords.

I was also looking at the Tom Bihn western flyer. Only issue there is I really do want a pass through for putting it on top of a roller bag. Or at least the option to, and it seems the most recent version of the WF does not allow this.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NDS88
Other "knocks" on the bag - the clips that attach the backpack shoulder straps are plastic and definitely cheap, imo stupid place for eBags to try and shave cents off the cost.
I've thought about getting this bag several times but am not quite due for a new bag. Regarding the plastic hardware, I wouldn't let that worry me, especially with eBags' warranty. My family has four Weekender TLS that have more than twice the capacity of the Slim. They have been overloaded many times and we have not had any issue with breaking plastic hardware. If I remember correctly, the hardware is sourced from YKK, the zipper company. They definitely know how to work with plastic.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rusearch
I've thought about getting this bag several times but am not quite due for a new bag. Regarding the plastic hardware, I wouldn't let that worry me, especially with eBags' warranty. My family has four Weekender TLS that have more than twice the capacity of the Slim. They have been overloaded many times and we have not had any issue with breaking plastic hardware. If I remember correctly, the hardware is sourced from YKK, the zipper company. They definitely know how to work with plastic.
yea eBags warranty is insanely good, especially when you factor in you're not paying Tumi-level prices for that warranty
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I use a Travelpro Walkabout Lite 4 Rolling Computer Tote, and I love it. My understanding is they're starting to be scarce to come by...Plenty of room, has roller wheels if you need them, straps to a larger roller, has a computer sleeve, and most importantly fits underseat of even the small planes - ERJ, Dash 8, etc.

ETA: My wife has told me that this does NOT fit under the "1 seat" side of an ERJ-145. I never book those seats, so just FWIW.

Last edited by Cargojon; Mar 5, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If you're looking for more of a personal item than a travel bag that fits under your seat, I'd also suggest the EC Straight Up Briefcase or the EC Convertabrief. Both have luggage handle pass-through, convert from brief to backpack, have more volume than the Patagonia you were looking at, come in black; the former has the regular lifetime warranty, the latter EC's premium "no matter what" warranty.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/straight-...d/d/1358_cl_-1
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/convertabrief/d/1409_cl_-1
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:25 pm

My .02...take it for what it's worth (probably less than the actual .02 ).

Your post caught my eye because I've been looking for something similar and have yet to find something I'm in love with.

Looking at some of the recs above, they seem to be a little big to me to fit into the "personal item" category. As the baggage fee wars continue, there's the risk that more of them will actually start cracking the whip on the underseat item and putting limits in place....especially if people seem to be abusing the lack of clarity.

In fact, United already has. If the others follow suit....

I mention this because if you're going to invest in a good piece that you expect to last you for years to come, it would just kinda suck to shell out that money only to find that in 6 months, you're back to looking for something smaller because a FA made you check your main carryon since your underseat wouldn't actually fit.

The Patagonia bag you mentioned looks like a good one, but maybe a little tight on the MBP?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by nonstopski
Interesting. It comes in at 200 cubic inches less than the Patagonia 26L I was looking at (if I am to believe patagonia's dimensions), but does have a lot of nice features. That bottom crush-proof section seems quite nice. I also use an eBags carry on roller (thing is like 5 years old and looks brand new) so them working together is kind of an extra benefit.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of that crush proof bottom, or would you be willing to measure ? I don't think it would go far back enough to fit my Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones in their case (or without the case!) in any way, but if they did, that would certainly make this a big contender (the darn Bose case is such an awkward shape and size). Otherwise, seems like a good place to put power cables and cords.

I was also looking at the Tom Bihn western flyer. Only issue there is I really do want a pass through for putting it on top of a roller bag. Or at least the option to, and it seems the most recent version of the WF does not allow this.
I don't know the dimensions offhand, if I'm ever near a tape measure I'll post back. I'm not familiar with the Bose headphones, but you can probably only fit say 3 or maybe 4 of the MBP 85w (?) charger bricks into that compartment, if that helps. I couldn't put my Sennheiser "regular" headphones in there, for example.

Looking at photos on Google of the Bose headphones, I'd be surprised if they fit in the crushproof compartment, it's mainly intended (I think) to stuff power bricks and/or loose cables into. The middle compartment of the bag is probably where I'd slide the headphones - it's where I keep all my misc small bags of stuff (spare medicine, toiletries, et al). Then the "big" compartment at the back holds just the MBP, and there's a third pocket inbetween that fits an iPad perfectly.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rusearch
It's not that the plastic would break - although that's certainly a concern - it's that it's weak and doesn't retain shape well. I've only been using the bag a few weeks and one of the clips keeps coming undone because the plastic can't hold up to a move in the wrong direction. Still, for <$80, it's not a bad bag all-in. I haven't found anything else I like at least as much for the same price point.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by OffToOz
Looking at some of the recs above, they seem to be a little big to me to fit into the "personal item" category. As the baggage fee wars continue, there's the risk that more of them will actually start cracking the whip on the underseat item and putting limits in place....especially if people seem to be abusing the lack of clarity.
I agree. The Eagle Creek Weekender mentioned above for example is too large for a personal carry-on. I have one and it won't fit the small sizer.

However, I have checked my Briggs and Riley 231X and it fits the Air Canada, Delta and United personal item sizer if it is not expanded.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I got the everki versa backpack for Christmas. I have traveled on a couple of trips. It is such a great bag. It fits over the handles of my roller board, and it fits the Bose over the ear headphones. I have had my Bose headphones for 15 years now, and they are starting to fall apart. So now I have the the Q20i. It fits under the seat of the airplane. It is checkpoint friendly, and holds a lot of stuff.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:50 am

Timbuk2 - Aviator bag.

converts from handle bag to backpack and even fits enough clothes for a couple of days.

http://www.timbuk2.com/aviator-trave...538_color=2960

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.