Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laptop bag recommendations with luggage pass-through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop bag recommendations with luggage pass-through?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kyee
The build quality of the Everki is great, on par with the Tumi I would say. I've used it for about a year now, and have had no issues with it. Zippers and seams are all in good shape.
Thanks... that probably made my decision for me.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The build quality of the Everki is great, on par with the Tumi I would say. I've used it for about a year now, and have had no issues with it. Zippers and seams are all in good shape.
Agree with this. It's been about 9 months for me, but it has held up fantastically well. Other than the obvious wear on the little metal nameplate, it still looks practically new, a nice trick for a bag I use 5 days a week and have taken on probably 60 plane rides.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I ordered the Everki Advance 11.6 to replace my Amazon Basic 11.6 bag... I hope the build quality is a step up because, otherwise, they are very similar in size and function. If nothing else, the outside front pocket will make a nice phone pocket for PreCheck.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:53 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I ordered the Everki Advance 11.6 to replace my Amazon Basic 11.6 bag... I hope the build quality is a step up because, otherwise, they are very similar in size and function. If nothing else, the outside front pocket will make a nice phone pocket for PreCheck.
Please keep us posted.

I'm very happy with my Amazon Basics bag, but I'd like to hear about the differences in build quality between that and the Everki Advance.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
After using the same no name computer backpack for around 10 years it had probably around 500k miles on it I decided it was time to upgrade.

I got this guy about a month ago and its already made a few trips, and now I wish I had upgraded sooner. It does have a pass through strap which I now have realized is my favorite feature of the bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Please keep us posted.

I'm very happy with my Amazon Basics bag, but I'd like to hear about the differences in build quality between that and the Everki Advance.
Will do... should be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Well, the Everki arrived today. It's a very minor incremental upgrade over the Amazon Basics 11.6" bag in terms of build quality, but a slight decrease in overall capacity. Mainly, the middle/accessory pocket doesn't expand nearly as deep as the Amazon bag... I could just barely fit my JBL Flip 2 bluetooth speaker (2.5" deep) into the middle pocket on the Amazon bag, but I can't comfortable fit it in middle pocket of the Everki. The main pocket of the Everki is a bit deeper and has a better division for tablet/files, but it's not big enough to fit the JBL speaker without deforming the overall shape of the bag.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it and travel without the JBL speaker or return it and get the Briggs & Riley Speedy Mini or Small Byte... alternatively, I may try it for a trip or two and give it to a buddy if I decided to go for the one of the B&R bags.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the quick review. I guess there may be some variation as to the build quality and materials, as the bag you purchased must be a lower-end model. The Versa Premium backpack that I have is quite solid, but with a price to match (MSRP of around $195, I believe, although I got multiple discounts on it).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Thanks for the quick review. I guess there may be some variation as to the build quality and materials, as the bag you purchased must be a lower-end model. The Versa Premium backpack that I have is quite solid, but with a price to match (MSRP of around $195, I believe, although I got multiple discounts on it).
I to have the Versa Premium backpack it holds a ton of stuff. Got it for Christmas, and taken on one trip so far. Taking it to Jordan next month. I could't be happier.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:42 pm

Disabled. The better 1/2 and I are both looking for the best "spinner (4- wheel) carry-on laptop bag" but roomy as well. Any top-notch suggestions please?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for the suggestions. after tireless searching, I narrowed it down to the STM Trust and the 2015 TimBuk2 Command. Not the most stylish looking bags but decided to go with utility over style.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:43 pm
WLT

I used a Tumi laptop backpack for a few years.

Last year, I switched to the Everki Versa backpack, after reading about it on a thread here at FT. The backpack works great, I attach it to my rolling bag when getting off the plane. Highly recommended.
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I to have the Versa Premium backpack it holds a ton of stuff. Got it for Christmas, and taken on one trip so far. Taking it to Jordan next month. I could't be happier.
kyee and powerlifter, how comfortable is your Everki Versa?

The reviews are generally great EXCEPT that many people say that the straps are too wife and long (even when fully tightened), uncomfortable and tend to slide off their shoulders. I'm probably an average size -- 40" shoulders, thin but athletic build -- and wondering if I would find the Versa uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in store anywhere to try it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:56 pm

I also have the Everki Versa backpack. I'm a bit smaller than you at 5'9" and 145lbs, about a 37 suit jacket, thin/athletic. I find it pretty comfortable, although it does sit a bit wide on the shoulders. I thought the straps were a bit too long at first, but I actually find it to be a pretty good length now. Your shoulders seem a bit wider than mine, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. If you're any taller and wider than me, you'll be fine.

The other thing about the feel of it when you first put it on is that the luggage handle passthrough is heavily padded, so it feels like it's off your back. Definitely different from my previous backpack and my colleagues' B&R and Tumi backpacks I've tried, but quickly got used to that, too.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:51 pm
WLT

gobluetwo, I really appreciate your quick reply. I guess I'll get the Versa and you should get a commission from Everki.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WLT
kyee and powerlifter, how comfortable is your Everki Versa?

The reviews are generally great EXCEPT that many people say that the straps are too wife and long (even when fully tightened), uncomfortable and tend to slide off their shoulders. I'm probably an average size -- 40" shoulders, thin but athletic build -- and wondering if I would find the Versa uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in store anywhere to try it.
I too find it quite comfortable. I usually carry it over my rollerboard if I am carrying a suit. That is mainly for international trips. I think you will be quite happy with your purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.