Reload this Page >

Cheap Bags vs Quality???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Bags vs Quality???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The more I think about it (and it probably contradicts my previous statements a bit), for a checked bag I'd probably grab one of the Ricardo polycarbonate spinner bags from Costco ($99 for the 26" + 20" set)... they use the same/similar Hinomoto wheels as Rimowa/B&R/Hartman/Muji, seem to be fairly well molded, and should hold up for several trips before you have to swap for a new one at your local Costco (or get a refund). I'm starting to see that paying-up for polycarbonate spinner luggage looks to be somewhat a waste of money in a way much different from nylon luggage.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
I used to buy cheap Samsonite bags and the likes, but had to replace them every 6 to 12 months. Since I travel almost every week, it got annoying to have to deal with repairs/replacements. Then I got a Tumi Alpha bag and I have been traveling with it for 5 years without any problems. But as always, YMMV.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by robbierob03
I guess I'll be the one to ask the question on how to go about finding a decent price on more quality luggage, because I'm having a difficult time figuring out how $500 for a checked bag makes sense. I'm thinking that luggage makers debut new bags yearly, and so at some point put their older stuff on clearance/close out. Where do I look for these items? And around what time of year does this generally happen?
That's right, when new models come in, old ones are put on clearance. You can find them at the local favorite discount store that deal in better brands.

You can also find them online, I bought my most recent TravelPro Platinum that way. Web suggests March is the time this will happen.

Regards,

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by panamamike
That's right, when new models come in, old ones are put on clearance. You can find them at the local favorite discount store that deal in better brands.

You can also find them online, I bought my most recent TravelPro Platinum that way. Web suggests March is the time this will happen.

Regards,

Mike
And Sierra Trading Post has a cache of B&R bags that are worth checking out every so often to see what you might find for less than $200. Amazon is also a good source, but their variable pricing has even bigger swings than STP. A Transcend 22" I bought on Amazon in June for less than $200 is currently a little over $300.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
For me, eBags own brand is the right balance between performance, price and warranty.

Also not too "flash" to attract baggage envy or attract the unwanted attention of any nefarious baggage handlers.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, HH
Read the review here few weeks back about Ricardo carry on, went to Costco to get it. Saw a set of Ricardos - 20" + 26" - for $99, started to think about that one but decided to wait. Also saw a Samsonite Gravtech set of 21" + 28" for $99, but could not find any reviews or additional info.

Yesterday went to Costco ad noticed that Gravtech set was on sale for $69.99 Could not resist and grabbed it, especially counting Costco's return policy.

Not too concerned about the carry-on, since it is handled a bit better than checked luggage. Have few trips coming up, so will see how it goes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Good warranty is important to me, whether it's through costco or the manufacturer, as I travel frequently for business.

For family luggage, we travel 1-3x per year, so top of the line stuff is honestly not as important. I feel completely comfortable getting some decent Samsonite or TravelPro stuff on sale. Even if they're only good for 25 trips, that's still a good decade or more of use. If my business luggage lasted 25 trips, I'd be looking at replacing them at least every year or more. We bought some cheapo Samsonite stuff when we were married 11 years ago and are only now getting around to replacing them (although I did use them for business travel for a few years, so they've held up well).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Good warranty is important to me
This is essential. I'd always go for quality, but I don't think twice about buying a cheap product if I know it has a great warranty and reputation, because even if I have issues with the quality, there is a peace of mind associated with knowing replacements would be hassle free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.