Wiki Posts
Search

travelpro maxi lite 3

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
travelpro maxi lite 3

I thought I found the holy grail but then saw this review.....any experience on whether this is a carry on??
<<
This review is from: Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 21 Inch Expandable Spinner (Accessory)
This is advertised in the carry-on section of luggage. The dimensions are listed as 21" X 10" X 9" which would meet carry-on requirements for the major domestic airlines. Unfortunately, American, Delta and others state that the maximum height is 22" INCLUDING WHEELS (check the airline websites if you don't believe me). This bag measures 23" including wheels. Why can't TravelPro and other manufacturers understand the requirements and size their bags accordingly. This is especially frustrating to me as I bought this bag to replace a TravelPro bag that was one inch too wide to meet requirements. Will you be able to "sneak" this bag on as a carry-on? Probably, but if you are challenged you will be required to check it. Are you willing to take that chance?
As to the quality of the bag, it is rather flimsy compared to other TravelPro bags, but this is the price you pay for its ultra light weight.
As a light weight, wheeled, carry-on this would be great if it meet carry-on requirements. Since it doesn't you would be better served by a sturdier bag.>>

I appreciate your advice!!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I notice that the writer of that review doesn't actually say that it didn't fit, or that any airline told him/her it had to be checked. One response to that review on Amazon said it did fit, and several other reviewers said they've used it as a carry-on without problem; I don't see any other reviews which claim otherwise. My advice, which is worth every cent you're paying for it, is that it's a carry-on.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
LOL thank you
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Are you in Charlotte now? Call your local luggage store or department store that carries TravelPro and ask if they have the suitcase you want. Take a tape measure and go to the store to measure the bag with wheels.

Or you could phone TravelPro on Monday to enquire. Good luck.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National EE, MileagePlus 1K, Chase UR
First as a note.. I have the Maxlite 2 20 and NOT the maxlite 3. But, when I took a look at the Maxlite 3 in a store, it seemed to be of similar quality.

But, I am not all that happy with my Maxlite 2. I have had it about 7-8 months now and it is getting pretty tired and worn out. The expansion zipper is broken, the liner has ripped in about 4 different places, and the wheels are beginning to not roll as smoothly as they once did (but this could just be me being picky). The bag was pretty cheap, so I am not too upset. I wasn't expecting a life-long bag, but I did expect a longer life than this.

For a little background, I have flown probably around ~120k miles with the bag with a decent amount of gate checks on regional flights (Id say around ~25 segments), but has never been checked.

I would say for a casual traveler or a beginner road warrior on a budget, this bag is pretty good as long as you have accurate expectations of what it is. I think mine might have been a little too high when I purchased. I am now looking for a replacement bag and will use this as a backup.

Hope this helps even though I am referring to an older model.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have a Maxlite 2 22". Bought it based on reviews. It feels cheap but I can deal with that. What I can't stand is the zipper that doesn't operate smoothly.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I bought a set of Maxlite 2 last year: rolling tote, 20-inch spinner, 25-inch spinner. I really like the luggage, but I'm not a frequent traveler. I really like the capacity of all the bags and they are light. I've had no problems with any of the zippers.

The rolling tote is very handy and it fits perfectly in the overhead of a CRJ-700. My one complaint about the rolling tote is it doesn't have tie-downs, that feature would be good with my packing style. I have noticed the spinners are showing some minor abrasion wear on the front of the bags, especially the 20-inch one. It gets gate checked and I guess it slides down a trough to get to the tarmac, causing the wear.

I intend to keep this luggage until it wears out, but if I were buying this year I would get the TPro Platinum Magna as it looks like higher quality. I'm not hard enough on luggage to justify B & R, I consider that brand to be for more hardcore frequent flyers. For other than road/air warriors the TravelPro Maxlite line is a good choice. I'm always amazed at how much I can pack in the 20-inch spinner. With more and more carry-on restrictions being introduced, a 20-inch bag is a safer bet.

Last edited by Dianne47; Aug 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.