Community
Wiki Posts
Search

multitool suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

multitool suggestions

I'm looking for a multitool which can be carried on board (flying CO only). It needs to be practical: mainly screwdrivers, pliers, scissors. Something for minor things like tightening loose bolts, opening electrnoics cases etc

TIA
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Maybe something like the Leatherman Style PS?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
I've flown with the Style PS on my key chain for a couple of years. I love the size of the tool and always having the pliers and screwdriver handy. The scissors are small enough they don't fall afoul of TSA, but they are still up to cutting through packing tape on boxes or helping open fed ex mailers.

I've twice had airport security pull me aside after it went through the metal detector to show them it had no knife blade (once in Toronto and once in Albany, New York), but both times they pretty quickly were satisfied it was okay. On dozens of other flights it has never even drawn a second glance from airport security.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by lostinohio
I've flown with the Style PS on my key chain for a couple of years. I love the size of the tool and always having the pliers and screwdriver handy. The scissors are small enough they don't fall afoul of TSA, but they are still up to cutting through packing tape on boxes or helping open fed ex mailers.

I've twice had airport security pull me aside after it went through the metal detector to show them it had no knife blade (once in Toronto and once in Albany, New York), but both times they pretty quickly were satisfied it was okay. On dozens of other flights it has never even drawn a second glance from airport security.
Agree. I've had good luck with the PS also. But the first one had a very weak spring clip & a few times it separated from my key chain and I almost lost it. To make it a non-issue on screening I would clip it to the carryon backpack so a TSO could just examine it w/o trying to sort out where it was in my bag. It finally came off somewhere on one of my trips and I lost it for good. I have 2 new ones and their clips are much better.

I threaded one of these thru the lanyard hole for more screwdriver head options and it's been very useful:
Gerber Zip-Driver
It's only $12.

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 10, 2014 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
I never trusted the carabiner clip, so I have always carried mine by threading an old school split ring keychain through one of the frame holes by the carabiner clip. The holes are close enough to the edge that it easy to take on and off the key ring and you can often still open and use the tool you need without having to take it off the ring entirely.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by lostinohio
I never trusted the carabiner clip, so I have always carried mine by threading an old school split ring keychain through one of the frame holes by the carabiner clip. The holes are close enough to the edge that it easy to take on and off the key ring and you can often still open and use the tool you need without having to take it off the ring entirely.
Another option is the RedOxx cable lock which comes with all their products, or you can get more for a buck apiece. I applied blue thread lock (or you could use clear nail polish) to the barrel to ensure it stays locked. It runs thru the lanyard hole and I just clip that onto the backpack with a mini biner. And it is thin enough to allow me to add that Gerber driver I mentioned above.
REdOxx accessories including the cable lock

http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-A...s/170/170/dept

They are useful for securing double zipped bag compartments and while not thief-proof offer some decent deterrence.

Cheers/

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:09 am

in Australia?

Anyone tried getting one of these past security in Australia?

Originally Posted by AATrout
Agree. I've had good luck with the PS also.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:18 pm

UPDATE Security in Oz will confiscate this item. They openly admit that the TSA is OK with it and also in NZ. But for reasons they won't give you it is not OK to board a plane with one of these in Oz.

Typical government mindless bureaucratic idiocy.

Originally Posted by bagobsessive
Anyone tried getting one of these past security in Australia?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UPDATE Security in Oz will confiscate this item. They openly admit that the TSA is OK with it and also in NZ. But for reasons they won't give you it is not OK to board a plane with one of these in Oz.
This is very clearly detailed on the Australian TravelSECURE website.

The PS fits into at least two of the Prohibited categories :
* Screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers and wrenches
* Pointed metal scissors
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:32 am

Yes, but the real issue is; what does Australia think it knows about this item that the TSA which permits it does not?

I have asked that question through their website. I don't expect an answer, but I will keep asking.

Originally Posted by docbert
This is very clearly detailed on the Australian TravelSECURE website.

The PS fits into at least two of the Prohibited categories :
* Screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers and wrenches
* Pointed metal scissors
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Would this "fly" down under for Aussie in carry-ons? Anyone using one or want to try it - not sure how functional it is? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-NEw-11-...item418483e777

I carry a small "traditional" multi-tool and a bigger one when we cruise w/o problem. This neat tool must do the trick & I'll throw it into the EDC going abroad.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, but the real issue is; what does Australia think it knows about this item that the TSA which permits it does not?
Probably the same thing that the TSA thinks it knows about water that Australia doesn't.

(Liquids are allowed on all Australian domestic flights)

Every country has different rules for what is and isn't allowed. Whether or not the specifics make sense is something that is discussed at length on other forums on FlyerTalk...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Would this "fly" down under for Aussie in carry-ons? Anyone using one or want to try it - not sure how functional it is? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-NEw-11-...item418483e777

I carry a small "traditional" multi-tool and a bigger one when we cruise w/o problem. This neat tool must do the trick & I'll throw it into the EDC going abroad.
I've often wondered about this style of tool but I think they'd spot the pointed blades and confiscate it (just my guess, no experience). They will confiscate a set of nail clippers if it has the little retractable nail file attached, after all...

I'm based in Australia and have successfully navigated both domestic and international security (different rules apply at each) without incident with this Gerber shard keychain tool: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-0176...bxgy_hi_text_y

However it has limited functionality and would probably not meet the OP's needs. So far all I've ever used it for is to open a bottle after a long afternoon walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.