Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"Cancel for Work Reasons" Travel Insurance Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

What are your experiences when making a travel insurance claim for "cancel for work reasons"? Details including insurer, circumstances, claim approved/denied, etc. would be very helpful. I'm especially interested in stories of salaried employees who have flexible/uncertain hours. I will be making a number of personal weekend trips and want protection in case I have to work.

Last edited by lawyertalk; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I don't see how travel insurance could possibly apply. In the case of "I'm really busy and probably shouldn't go" that's on you. If your employer is telling you that you must be somewhere else during your planned trip, your employer should cover any changes, Imo.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I don't see how travel insurance could possibly apply. In the case of "I'm really busy and probably shouldn't go" that's on you. If your employer is telling you that you must be somewhere else during your planned trip, your employer should cover any changes, Imo.
It's not permitted in all/most travel insurance policies, which is why I'm asking for people's experiences. An example of such a coverage provision: "the Insured or Traveling Companion is required to work during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of self- employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required."
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
It's not permitted in all/most travel insurance policies, which is why I'm asking for people's experiences. An example of such a coverage provision: "the Insured or Traveling Companion is required to work during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of self- employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required."
Many offices have an in-house notary (many times someone accounting)... can you get the letter signed by an officer and notarized? If so, you should be set...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.