Reload this Page >

$30 Eagle Creek Round About Wheeled Tote - THE Budget U116 Alternative

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$30 Eagle Creek Round About Wheeled Tote - THE Budget U116 Alternative

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
So my Round About tote was stolen out of a rental car this week...
Wow, sorry to hear that - that was a good price at $30, or even $40. Some CC still have insurance coverage for such losses or theft - checked ?? although it won't cover the replacement cost.

Where did this happened, out of town? A few years back, we had a Ford Taurus from big "H" crossing SEA-YVR to stay for a few days on R&R, and it happened to us (out-of-state/US plates in CN was the tipoff) - popped the lock out, but nothing to be taken. Just had to report it into RA & insurance took care of it.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Wow, sorry to hear that - that was a good price at $30, or even $40. Some CC still have insurance coverage for such losses or theft - checked ?? although it won't cover the replacement cost.

Where did this happened, out of town? A few years back, we had a Ford Taurus from big "H" crossing SEA-YVR to stay for a few days on R&R, and it happened to us (out-of-state/US plates in CN was the tipoff) - popped the lock out, but nothing to be taken. Just had to report it into RA & insurance took care of it.
Payment was through a MC Debit Card... it has purchase protection, but requires a police report. It happened in a municipal parking deck in South Beach Miami, but we didn't discover it until my wife picked me up at MIA a few hours later. Given my budget I'll likely be replacing it with something far inferior, even if I spent 2x what I originally spent.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
That's a real bummer. I bought one the day you posted about it and still haven't taken it for a trip, although my wife did take it for a 3 day 4-segment trip on AA 737s and RJ's earlier this week. Haven't really had a chance to debrief her on how it worked for her. She took it instead of my 22" B&R Transcend upright and made good use of several packing cubes. I'll check with her and if she doesn't think she'll use it again I'll let you know, maybe we'll part with it.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Camarones
That's a real bummer. I bought one the day you posted about it and still haven't taken it for a trip, although my wife did take it for a 3 day 4-segment trip on AA 737s and RJ's earlier this week. Haven't really had a chance to debrief her on how it worked for her. She took it instead of my 22" B&R Transcend upright and made good use of several packing cubes. I'll check with her and if she doesn't think she'll use it again I'll let you know, maybe we'll part with it.
Please let me know if you decide you can part with it. I'd really rather find another one than go with something of much lower quality but within my budget.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:07 pm

See post #25. Not sure if they would be will to part with one or not though.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bama87
See post #25. Not sure if they would be will to part with one or not though.
Hopefully rkb2530 sees this and contacts me, but he/she isn't accepting PMs... if you're watching and want to sell one of you 3 bags to a needy soul, please let me know!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Looks like if I can't find a replacement ES2 Round About from a kind FTer by next week I'll be purchasing something along the lines of a TravelPro Maxlite 3 Rolling Tote ($73, Amazon Prime) or American Tourister iLite Wheeled Boarding Bag ($50, Amazon Prime).

Camarones, rkb2530, or anyone else: PLEASE let me know if you can part with one of yours and save me from slumming it! Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Looks like if I can't find a replacement ES2 Round About from a kind FTer by next week I'll be purchasing something along the lines of a TravelPro Maxlite 3 Rolling Tote ($73, Amazon Prime) or American Tourister iLite Wheeled Boarding Bag ($50, Amazon Prime).

Camarones, rkb2530, or anyone else: PLEASE let me know if you can part with one of yours and save me from slumming it! Thanks in advance!
Will let you know by the end of the week. If you don't hear from me PM to remind me. The wife took it for a 4-night trip this week.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

I'll check back on Saturday if I don't hear from you by then. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just FYI - Delsey's 15" quilted Rolling Cabin Tote is on sale for $54.99 on eBags and with 20% Insider discount code (EMJL27BTS,) bring the final price to $43.99 shipped free - a notch smaller than the ES2
http://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/...62&rlid=DETAIL

Also, this is on sale @ $59.49 before 20% discount - bigger but reviews aren't great http://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/...rlid=DETAIL_AI
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I don't think I could do the tufted look on the first Delsey, or the small opening of the second. Right now I'm considering one of these using the coupon...

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelo...31&rlid=DETAIL

http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10273230
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:52 am

I was lucky and got one of these EC bags at the lowest price. Used it 2 weeks ago for a 5-day trip and it worked well. Instead of cubes, etc., I just use an extra-large plastic bag and crush all the extra air out of it. Was amazed that the EC held all my original packing plus clothes I bought on the trip.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Now I'm trying to decide between these bags:

$30 - American Tourister iLite Supreme Wheeled Tote

$33 - Ciao! Rolling Underseat Carry-On

$72 - Eagle Creek Travel Gateway Wheeled Carry-On Tote

$72 - Travelpro Maxlite 3 Wheeled Tote

I'm leaning towards the EC, but it's a bit smaller (only 14" wide) and doesn't have the "No Matter What" warranty". I know from the EC packing suggestions that the Pack-It Folder Small and Pack-It Cube will fit fine, but I'm a bit worried about the width of folded dress pants (38" waist).

The American Tourister was the bag I was originally considering way back before I found the first EC Deal. I've seen it in person and it feels like one of the American Tourister gems, not one of the dogs you find at Walmart. My main concern with the AT is the width... at 17", I'm assuming I'll have to carry it down most aircraft aisles. The handle is mediocre but workable. Since the "laptop compartment" isn't padded, I'd probably put the Pack-It Folder in there.

The Ciao! is probably the most similar to the original EC. I hope the floating storage flap above the main compartment is removable or at least detaches at the top, but not a deal-breaker. I'd have to get a day-pass at Costco to buy it, or pay $5.50 more for shipping and non-member surcharge.

I've played with the Maxlite 3 in person. I like the build and layout, but there is some space lost to the laptop compartment that I would rarely ever use (might be able to put the Pack-It Folder here). I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the tipping problem on my Crew 9 20", but I don't think that means much in relation to a completely different line and type of bag.

Thoughts on these four bags?

I'll be buying one of these on Friday... out of pure selfishness, I'm not going to disclose my sources for the EC and American Tourister until after I make an order to (hopefully) protect availability until then.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Jul 29, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:11 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Have you looked at the Ciao! bag from Costco? It's in the $30 range and is a similar size to the EC.

Also I heard some good things about the Samsonite Wheeled Underseater. It is also available in different sizes.

Both bags unfortunately are a bit deeper than the EC.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I have looked at the Ciao! online but haven't got a chance to look at it in person yet... I've added it to the short-list above. I'd have to get a day-pass at Costco to buy it (wouldn't want to pay the premium AND shipping to order it online). Any idea if the inside zipper compartment that hovers above the main compartment is removable/detachable?

I also looked at the taller Samsonite Wheeled Underseater. I didn't care for the clear-plastic compartments (fairly common on wheeled totes) with fears they will fog/yellow/brittle over time.

One of my few dislikes of the original EC bag was the split handles... it took some effort to align them correctly to extend the pull-handle and they had to be separated to open the main compartment. I would like to avoid that design if possible, but it's not a deal-breaker either. The EC Travel Gateway has a single traditional lift-handle which I like.

I also went ahead and added the Travelpro Maxlite 3 to the short-list... nothing about it blows me away, but nothing offends me either. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the tipping problem on my Crew 9 20", but I don't think that means much in relation to a completely different line and type of bag.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Jul 29, 2014 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.