$30 Eagle Creek Round About Wheeled Tote - THE Budget U116 Alternative

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$30 Eagle Creek Round About Wheeled Tote - THE Budget U116 Alternative

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The 14" wide bit is the hardest to swallow. I can understand a very set limit on height and depth because these are well defined by the two smallest dimensions of the bins, but to decrease a common and reasonable width dimension seems like nothing but an attempt at forcing more paid checked bags. An average bin length is 4-5' long, so saving an inch on 4-5 bags isn't going to create enough room for anything but a laptop bag or purse. I would be shocked to see this particular dimension enforced by an american legacy carrier, especially for a rolling-tote that's over-spec by such a marginal amount.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:33 pm

Obviously, if a rolling tote is your only carryon, its size is no problem. But if a tote like the Eagle Creek is your personal item and you also have a 22x14x9 carryon, has anybody had trouble with it being too big? It would be under the United dimensions for a personal item, don't know about American, or whether size rules are actually being enforced by either airline as to personal items.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Obviously, if a rolling tote is your only carryon, its size is no problem. But if a tote like the Eagle Creek is your personal item and you also have a 22x14x9 carryon, has anybody had trouble with it being too big? It would be under the United dimensions for a personal item, don't know about American, or whether size rules are actually being enforced by either airline as to personal items.
That is a fairly obvious point that I completely overlooked. Most of the time I'll be carrying the tote as my larger piece of luggage so it won't be an issue. That said, I had contemplated throwing either a tri-fold garment bag or un-wheeled tote/duffle on top for longer trips (as opposed to a 20" roller) and it may become an issue then... we shall see!

One observation more related to the style of bag than the bag itself... if you're packed full for multiple days, you have to re-pack your dirty clothes nearly as thoughtfully as you packed them clean. This is ESPECIALLY true if you have a mix of clean and dirty clothes, i.e. multiple locations on a single trip. I've found the double-sided Ikea packing cube to be quite helpful in this regard, and will probably spring for a Eagle Creek Clean/Dirty cube (one side sealed for dirty, the other vented for clean) to replace it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:11 pm

Amazon has raised the price on this to $39.99.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Still an amazing deal... anything under $100 would be better than anything else in the price range IF you don't want tons of organization.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:32 am

I ordered one on your recommendation and am very impressed. Very good quality, great wheels, etc. As you said, this would make a great main carry on for short trips. I wish someone would try to use it as their personal item and report back. Does it fit under the seat? Do the FAs give you the evil eye? I tried the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender on the top and it rolls nicely, but I am afraid to try it on our next flight.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I've not tried it on top of a larger bag yet... being able to do 4 nights out of this bag has eliminated most of my need for anything larger. That said, I have a feeling it will end up on top of my wife's 20" with me pulling both when we go to Miami together next month.

I can report it does fit under seat on Delta 737-800, 757-300, and 717. It also rolls down the aisle fairly well, but will occasionally snag a seat. No FA evil eye for me, but again, I've not thrown it on top of a roll-aboard yet either.

I just got my EC Pack-It Folder 15 and it fits snugly. This bag, this folder, and a 2-sided cube makes for very organized and efficient packing.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:13 pm

Good to know it fits under the seat!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Interesting little piece of info...

Amazon Price History

This bag was still $135 as recently as May of this year... it dropped to $50 in March, down to $30 in mid-May, and back up to $40 earlier this week. I, luckily, bought right in the middle of the month-long price-valley. I doubt it will jump back up to the $135 price-point, but it very well might get back to $50 and fluctuate between there and $30.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

Amazon Price History

This bag was still $135 as recently as May of this year... it dropped to $50 in March, down to $30 in mid-May, and back up to $40 earlier this week. I, luckily, bought right in the middle of the month-long price-valley. I doubt it will jump back up to the $135 price-point, but it very well might get back to $50 and fluctuate between there and $30.
Wow, I got lucky and timed it right. I ordered 3 on 6/16 at $30.00 each. They arrived and I am quite pleased with them. I was hoping that the front pocket would hold my IPad and it does, just barely. The only minor thing I wish they had is some divided pockets and a couple of mesh pockets in the front zippered area. Other than that it is just what I was looking for. Great deal
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkb2530
Wow, I got lucky and timed it right. I ordered 3 on 6/16 at $30.00 each. They arrived and I am quite pleased with them. I was hoping that the front pocket would hold my IPad and it does, just barely. The only minor thing I wish they had is some divided pockets and a couple of mesh pockets in the front zippered area. Other than that it is just what I was looking for. Great deal
The full-retail version of this bag (the one you might see on an old Youtube video) did have some organization in the front pocket, along with a zipper-pocket inside the main flap and a pull-out ID holder on the back. This seems to be a stripped-down version of that bag, but still well worth the price. Those looking for organization might want to consider a GridIt! or similar insert.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:57 am
x2y

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

Amazon Price History

And... it's back to $135, at least today. I kept rereading the thread title wondering if there was a typo, till I read your summary of the price history. Congrats to everyone who got it at a low price! Now that it's $135, I'll think about it for a while.

Thanks for the excellent review.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Was fun while it lasted For $135 I would hope you would get the full version, not the stripped down version selling for $30-$50... but from the looks of the pictures, I wouldn't count on it.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

While the value proposition has changed dramatically, I can say that this bag (full but not over stuffed) fits overhead in Alaska/Horizon Q400s IF you go in sideways with wheels up and rotate to wheels-front as you push in... Otherwise the bottom frame is too tall to fit in the opening either wheels first or handle first. I've used this method on 2 flights so far with 1 more on this trip.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

So my Round About tote was stolen out of a rental car this week... I didn't notice it until probably 4-5 hours after it happened (most likely trunk popped by someone who knew what they were doing, no damage other than small ding on bumper) so I didn't bother filing a police report. I could care less about most of the contents (clothes, toiletries) but I'm pretty bummed about the loss of the bag itself because there's no way I'll pay the current going price for a replacement.

Is there any chance anyone who bought one at the lower price would want to part with theirs? If so, PLEASE PM ME! Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.