Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"20 or "22 for Carry on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

"20 or "22 for Carry on

I am in the market for a new carry on bag as the duffel bag I have is great, but does not have wheels. It can be a real pain to get through airports with no wheels.

Anyway I was in a luggage store today and noticed most bags are now 20" compared to 22". I was told that "20 is the new standard for carry on as "22 may nor fit with the wheels out.

Most of my travel is done on United and Jet Blue. I do most of my travel domestic with some exposure to the Caribbean and Latin America. I may want to venture to Europe and Asia down the road, but I have not crossed that bridge yet.

In the past when I traveled I did not have a problem with a "22 fitting in an overhead bin.

For those of you that have a 20" do you notice a major difference between the 22"? Is it just like a pair of a socks or are we talking a few pairs of pants that could have been packed?

Any recommendations on what I should look for? I really like Tumi but I am willing to consider others as well.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
22" will fit on pretty much all larger (737 and up) aircraft in the US. On Regional jets, it won't matter as it's getting gate checked at 20" or 22". I have a 22" Travelpro that is decent, however, it will be getting upgraded by a Briggs and Riley later this year.

Had a Tumi and decided not to keep it. Briggs and Riley is great stuff with one of the best warranties out there.

Pat

Last edited by Thomps000; Sep 8, 2013 at 1:18 am
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Ditto. When flying a regional carrier, you have to gate check both the 20 and the 22 in.

Earlier this year I gave my 20in to a friend and have been using my 22in and I wish I hadn't. The 22in is usually too big for my 5 day a week trips.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:45 pm

Have you considered pairing your duffel bag with a wheeled cabin tote or briefcase? Use the TravelOn bag bungee to attach duffel to roller. As an extra advantage, if you choose a rolling bag that is narrower than 9", you can take both bags on a regional jet.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Travelon Bag Bungee! What a cool and helpful bit of stuff! I'm buying them now for friends. Also take a look at the Boyt Edge 20" spinner - I didn't know if I could manage with a 20" bag or spinners but I love both. Have now gotten the 22" spinner as well as a couple of their carpet bag type cases and a computer bag. Friends are now getting these as well because they look really nice and unisex! Lifetime guarantee even for airline damage on top.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
A word of advice if you intend to travel inside Europe. You will see reported elsewhere here that US carriers seem to be 22" excluding wheels and handles but European carriers are 22" including wheels and handle. The difference is noticeable!

I got a TravelPro 22, for use in Europe and feel uncomfortable about its bulk and risk of gate checking, so seldom use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.