Which "luxury" carry-on bag do you use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which "luxury" carry-on bag do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:57 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Coach has become very "O L" (Office Lady) as people in Hong Kong like to describe very mass market goods preferred by the majority of random female, and for lack of a better word, cubicle proletariat that blindly follow fashions.

The only time I still take notice of a Coach product is when someone is carrying a vintage piece or one of their classic full grain leather duffel bags.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by tcl
Coach has become very "O L" (Office Lady) as people in Hong Kong like to describe very mass market goods preferred by the majority of random female, and for lack of a better word, cubicle proletariat that blindly follow fashions.

The only time I still take notice of a Coach product is when someone is carrying a vintage piece or one of their classic full grain leather duffel bags.
isnt that the same with LV? I am really sick of seing another monogram version, be it fake or real.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Not quite as pricey as many of the luxury bags being discussed but I have a wonderful black full grain leather travel bag by shop out of Montreal (Matteo Mio). I got it as a present 6 years ago.

It is nothing overtly flashy but I get compliments on it at least 5-6x a year (out of 20-25 trips a year). It is just black leather with silver hardware. No logo, no initials.

I almost want to reach out to the shop to see if they would make my bag again (they dropped it from their offering).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
One more Japanese maker to add - INDEED (yes-indeed.com)

As I was quickly looking through Takashimaya Shinjuku on my last day, the very helpful saleslady suggested this maker. Understated quality craftsmanship seems to be the hallmark. They also offer a bespoke service but there was no way I had enough time to get that done.

I was pretty impressed so I bought a bag from them as well.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Time to report back ... it's been 2 months since I received my bag from Frank Clegg and I am totally ^ happy with it.

So far, it's gone on a cruise and 2 international trips. Not only do I like it, several friends (and strangers) have complimented me on it. And I am very happy with the lining -- much nicer and sturdier than I expected.

Well done, Frank Clegg ... and the person who recommended I check out his line of products.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Frank Clegg called me this morning. Despite being Saturday...he already has cut the new leather for my bag. They will work on it on Monday and get it shipped to me promptly.
it's been 2 months since I received my bag from Frank Clegg and I am totally ^ happy with it.
thanks for updates! always appreciated in these kinds of threads.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Clegg was in business back in the 70's. A few years ago (or thereabouts), supposedly the Lotuff brothers approached Clegg to do a partnership. As you can tell, it went south pretty fast. Supposedly all the designs are from Clegg but you'll notice the Lotuff designs are exactly the same. The rumor mill says the Lotuffs "stole" the designs from Clegg. I have heard nothing but good things about Clegg. But, I'm not sure about how much customization he's able to do.

north of $3K, there is a well-regarded, Hermes trained seamstress located in SF who does nothing but bespoke items.
thanks! also for japanese companies you mentioned.
(and thanks to everyone else who posted as well.)

re japan discussion, prior to latest economic crisis >
http://books.google.com/books?id=U2O...ercent&f=false page 74 >
Analysts estimate ... Japanese buy half of all luxury goods [sold worldwide]

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re japan discussion, prior to latest economic crisis >
http://books.google.com/books?id=U2O...ercent&f=false page 74 >
A very interesting read. I was reading much more of the "preview" than the quote you stated.

And, here's a pic of the Indeed bag I bought - although mine's in black. Made of shrunken leather and with a nice lining, it's held up well and I'm very happy with it.

Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you can get book at library, i found it all pretty interesting.

thanks for photo!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Not custom-made, but doesn't scream brand but just very high quality:

http://www.troubadourgoods.com/products/weekender
and www.troubadourgoods.com generally.

I personally won't spend that much, but they are designed for folks who want super-high quality but don't want to advertise a brand.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawbridge
Not custom-made, but doesn't scream brand but just very high quality:

http://www.troubadourgoods.com/products/weekender
and www.troubadourgoods.com generally.

I personally won't spend that much, but they are designed for folks who want super-high quality but don't want to advertise a brand.
if quality is that good, not a bad value
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
My new Clegg bag was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm on a short trip now, so I will see it tonight when I get home.
Based upon your posts, I had a Clegg English Backpack delivered recently.
Very nice, great quality, and totally useless to me. I found a Timbuk2 backpack for $75 that fits my current travels. So a $960 Clegg bag will remain idle until an offer is made. Anyone?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by hedoman
Based upon your posts, I had a Clegg English Backpack delivered recently.
Very nice, great quality, and totally useless to me. I found a Timbuk2 backpack for $75 that fits my current travels. So a $960 Clegg bag will remain idle until an offer is made. Anyone?
Just started ready this entertaining thread. You spent almost $1000 on a pice of luggage? I love this country. How much did you spend on a car if you don't mind?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Can't believe nobody mentioned Delvaux (Delvaux.com)
One of the non 3minute bags.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:58 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I've been a fan of J.W. Hulme luggage for decades. I discovered them via Orvis when they manufactured the "Battenkill" like of travel luggage back in the 80's.

Since then, I've migrated from their Green Canvas/Brown Leather classics to full Leather.
Honestly, I don't get the complements from the all leather as I used to get from the Canvas/Leather set, but I prefer the hand made leather Heritage Collection of J.W. Hulme more than any I have owned.

Currently carrying on their Rolling Overnight Brief and their small Duffle, both in American Heritage Leather.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Just started ready this entertaining thread. You spent almost $1000 on a pice of luggage? I love this country. How much did you spend on a car if you don't mind?
This is no different than spending 1K+ for a Rimowa Topas as many do here. If you enjoy something highly and use it even once a year for the rest of your life, it is well worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.