Reload this Page >

Ordering Rimowa from Koffer Direkt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ordering Rimowa from Koffer Direkt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:03 pm

If i'm ordering from koffer direkt, shipping to Hungary, and departing back to the US from Denmark, will I have a problem trying to claiming my VAT refund in Denmark? Do I just need to show my receipt, product and passport?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Swissaire
My pleasure, Travelomania.

When you can, keep us posted on your experiences and your Rimowa choice, at least on this trip. Rimowa is a very good investment and there might be more.
Will do so !
Actually - to keep you instantly posted - I was checking in last week at HKG airport and while waiting for the counters to open early morning, I noticed in amazement in probably the time span of 30 minutes, at least two dozen carry-on Topas'es (the aluminum ones) around me.
I presume they must be a big hit with the hipster crowds in Hong Kong !
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
While we're still on the Rimowa-from-Germany subject, I'd like to get some additional advise:

When selecting a carry-on I should probably pay special attention to the measurements in centimeters, if I would like to use a Rimowa carry-on in Europe - and in particular on Ryanair ?
Yes, I do fly them occasionally and never had a problem, but I suppose that i.e. the Topas 56 is considered oversized according to their rules and would not fit in their bag-checker-frame.
In that case would it be advisable to select the IATA version ?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:41 am

I know enough about Ryanair to not fly them, and stay away.

Reading online, the company rules appear to be arbitrary and made-up as they go.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:17 am

Been shopping around for a nice luggage and finally decided on the RIMOWA topaz. I'm located in Toronto Canada and saw a few guys on this forum that purchased from KofferDirekt, did you guys get charged duties and taxes when it entered Canada?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: One World
When they are delivered using DHL, using most of the time Canadian customs will slap the tax on and also the brokerage fees (administration)

If you work for certain firms in Germany there's an additional code to receive 10% off.

Originally Posted by congeelord
Been shopping around for a nice luggage and finally decided on the RIMOWA topaz. I'm located in Toronto Canada and saw a few guys on this forum that purchased from KofferDirekt, did you guys get charged duties and taxes when it entered Canada?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Danny Nguyen
If i'm ordering from koffer direkt, shipping to Hungary, and departing back to the US from Denmark, will I have a problem trying to claiming my VAT refund in Denmark? Do I just need to show my receipt, product and passport?
answering my own question since nobody else did. this might help someone out in the future...

I'm from USA, ordered from Koffer and had it shipped to Hungary. I believe Koffer will provide VAT refund documents if you ask them in advance but I didn't so I just got my invoice stamped at the tax office at the Copenhagen airport, the airport I was leaving Europe from. Once I got back to USA, I mailed the original invoice to koffer and they refunded my cc.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:06 pm

Smart move Danny.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I'm in the US and am looking to purchase a Rimowa Topas. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether KD will ship to the US. Does anyone know the current status of that?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I'm in the US and am looking to purchase a Rimowa Topas. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether KD will ship to the US. Does anyone know the current status of that?
Not sure about that but if you can swing a trip through Germany the price on Rimowa bags at the LH World Shops are a steal compared to the US. With the Euro down against the USD I was seeing bags at least 30% less than US prices and then you get VAT back. Great deal if you have not reached your checked bag limit.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:55 am

does everyone here speak or understand German or at least have a German speaking friend help you through the entire online order?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by spaceman
Not sure about that but if you can swing a trip through Germany the price on Rimowa bags at the LH World Shops are a steal compared to the US. With the Euro down against the USD I was seeing bags at least 30% less than US prices and then you get VAT back. Great deal if you have not reached your checked bag limit.
Agree. I returned to FRA yesterday (8 Feb) via the Hbf and before heading to T2 for AA71, stopped in the World Shop in T1 departure area B. They don’t carry some of the Rimowa brand lines, rather many are the LH variant. But excellent deals. For example, the LH multiwheel 53 LH Alu Multiwheel cabin trolley 53 is identical in exterior design and dimensions to the Topas IATA 36.0L which is available in the US at most dealers for $950.

The LH version has a different divider system-but other than that I think it is identical.

The online and World Shop price is 639 euros. In USD that was $725 yesterday and the VAT refund would have been ~$120 for ~$600 net. That’s a savings of $350! I didn’t pull the trigger because I have a 32L Limbo I am happy with. I had just carry ons but if you buy the World Shop staff will give you any Rimowa purchase in sturdy cardboard packaging for checked luggage.

I may just give that Limbo to a niece and in 3 weeks when I have another trip - grab the LH 53 for the additional room. The Limbo line doesn’t offer a 36L model and the LH 53 at the World Shop is also a great deal compared to the Limbo 32L - which lists for $850 at US dealers.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:18 am

I'm planning a trip departing London in March.

While I'm in Europe, I might as well make a stop to Germany to pick up a Rimowa Salsa I've been eyeing. Any suggestions on which city to make the purchase, and things to do nearby? Looking to spend 1-2 days in Germany while doing so.

I am from the US.

Can I get my VAT back if my flight out of Germany is to London, UK? My flight back to the states will be a couple days afterwards.

I want to make sure I plan this correctly.

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:49 am

The answer is of course yes.

It would be best to file for your rebate in Germany prior to your departure, but you may also do this in London, as the UK is a member of the EU.

At the moment.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
The answer is of course yes.

It would be best to file for your rebate in Germany prior to your departure, but you may also do this in London, as the UK is a member of the EU.

At the moment.

I thought of a slightly better scenario... Would this be a net cheaper alternative?

What If...
- Since I'm staying in London all week, going to Germany would be out of the way and eat up some of my travel time
- Can I order and ship the Salsas to my hotel in London? and still collect VAT Back at LHR departing for USA? If so, is Koffer still the best bet?
- Seeing Frankfurt/Munich is not at the top of my list for this trip (maybe in the future, but I am trying to plan to meet as many friends and family as I can)

EDIT:
I answered my own question here: https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

Cannot get VAT back on online purchases or mail order goods

Are prices in London not favorable?

Last edited by macrophage; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.