Need help with my liquids bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with my liquids bag

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:12 pm

I have several of the Tom Bihn 3-1-1 bags but find I can place
more liquid items in a Zip Lock 1 quart bag if the space is required.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I have a heavy-duty clear vinyl bag from Paula's Choice, which unfortunately is no longer available so I baby it. I collect small sizes from drug store and Target's travel sizes displays, also from hotels and cosmetic counters.

I have the following in my 3-1-1 bag, this works for a 2-week trip: 2 oz. travel-size cleanser, 2 oz. travel-size face toner, Clinique liquid foundation, Clinique concealer in tube, mascara, Clinique eyeshadow base in tube, 1 oz. shampoo in hotel bottle, 1 oz. shower gel in hotel bottle, Aveda travel size hair texturizer, travel-size toothpaste, travel-size anti-static spray, travel-size sunscreen, tiny sample-jar-size hair pomade. It takes some puzzle skills to get everything in the bag, but it works.

For short trips very small bottles work, .5 to 1 oz. I use face wipes first to remove makeup, then very little cleanser is required to finish the job. All my other cosmetics and toiletries are powders, sticks, or solids and I've never been asked about them by TSA. I use a food injector, it looks like a hypodermic, to refill tubes with sunscreen or other products.

I ordered some of the GoToobs and might use them in the future, but I find the odd shape with the narrow end wastes space. If you use them for a 3-1-1 bag be sure to order the smaller size.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Dianne, I noticed that too. The shape wastes space, and so does the tall cap. These could be redesigned to be more ergonomic.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I had a GoToob leak like crazy and won't fly them again. The top came open a bit. A huge mess.

I save wide mouth 45ml (1.5 oz) bottles from hotels and wash and refill them at home.

I refill them as indicated on the original labeling. Mouthwash, hand lotion, etc.

I put 3 or 4 of these in my 3,1,1 baggie and have the basic stuff along for a 5 to 7 day trip at no additonal cost.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I use a Tumi Medium Size Packing Cube. Put all liquids and toiletries together. Never been asked by TSA to take out or separate the liquids into a separate plastic bag.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:07 pm

GoToobs are too big for my taste. I use Pitotubes: http://www.amazon.com/Pitotubes-Appr.../dp/B001AQTRWU

And the zip top clear bag they come in has lasted me for years.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by Katja
GoToobs are too big for my taste. I use Pitotubes: http://www.amazon.com/Pitotubes-Appr.../dp/B001AQTRWU

And the zip top clear bag they come in has lasted me for years.
Very interesting and a size I've gotten used to using. Fortunately I've stayed in several hotels in the past year that provide products in containers this size and shape.

Thus for free I can reuse the containers and save money as well as plastic.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I came to vent my frustration about the leakproof silicone travel bottles I'm seeing on Amazon.

I want a set of 3.3 oz bottles without suction cups, without the product ID feature, and without a big hole for hanging on the end. I want a set of plain, squishy, leakproof flat-bottomed bottles!

And regarding the 3-1-1 bag, I use this Frontier 3-1-1 liquids bag I got from Sierra Trading Post back in Dec 2014. It travels with me and goes to the gym 1-2 times a week. It's great, sturdy, no problems. Looking back at the invoice email, I paid $2.97 for it with one of STP's coupon codes on my entire order.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
I want a set of 3.3 oz bottles without suction cups, without the product ID feature, and without a big hole for hanging on the end. I want a set of plain, squishy, leakproof flat-bottomed bottles!
How about these from the Container Store? The ID seems to be integrated into the top of the lid instead of the collar. You might be able to pop it off.
http://www.containerstore.com/s/trav...uctId=11001530
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by freecia
How about these from the Container Store? The ID seems to be integrated into the top of the lid instead of the collar. You might be able to pop it off.
http://www.containerstore.com/s/trav...uctId=11001530
Hmmm, those look promising. Thanks!

It will be at least a month till I can stop into the San Francisco Container Store. I want to see them in person before I spend $7+ a pop.

This makes me painfully aware how Amazon Prime and Shoprunner satisfy my immediate on-my-door step-in-two-days gratification.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:01 pm

Yet another vote to Freezer bags, I prefer ones with a slider, such as the Hefty brand. Quart size is what you need.

Do not get Storage bags. Those are good for nothing, worse than sandwich bags.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
At a lot of the airports, as one goes through security, there are appropriate 1 quart bags free just for the taking. I know MSP has them and I've seen them at others. They are fairly heavy duty.

But I'd also put in a vote for the zip-lock type FREEZER bags. Similar weight.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:41 pm

I have this bag and have used it for years without any issues. Holds just about everything and never been questioned at all.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ful-Liquid...l-Bag/22955724

I don't believe they make this specific one anymore but plenty like it out there.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:54 pm
KCZ

Originally Posted by boxo
I came to vent my frustration about the leakproof silicone travel bottles I'm seeing on Amazon.

I want a set of 3.3 oz bottles without suction cups, without the product ID feature, and without a big hole for hanging on the end. I want a set of plain, squishy, leakproof flat-bottomed bottles! :mad
I like these...
https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Go-Gear-...o+gear+bottles

...although I actually find the assorted sizes set to be more useful.
https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Gear-Sil...NS4DJ3W653PVZK
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:44 pm

I've collected sample containers and shampoo/conditioner bottles for years. I'm kind of a hoarder of them at this point. Princess Cruises used to provide shampoo/conditioner in 2 oz. bottles that are fabulous for trips of 3+ weeks and I amassed a nice collection before they switched to tubes.

My London Fog suitcase came with a great 3-1-1 bag that I think is a liter - I know it holds more than a standard Ziploc bag, but I've never had an issue with it. I had two, but yanked too hard on the zipper of one of them and couldn't repair it. So I'm much gentler with the other - it's lasted me 3 years now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.