Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on for Laptop, Other Tech, and Docs

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Carry-on for Laptop, Other Tech, and Docs

Hey everyone, first-time poster here!! This looked like the right forum to get some bag suggestions.

I'm a few years out of college and just started a new job that requires me to travel a lot. I am looking for a carry-on bag that will accommodate a laptop, iPad, kindle e-reader, and all related power supplies. If possible, I would love for it to have wheels and a telescoping handle - makes traversing airports easier. Any suggestions?

Also, I am starting to think that I'm taking too much in my carry-on - in addition to the items mentioned above I also have a travel mouse and 10-key, sometimes a second computer, HDMI cord, file folders with relevant docs (some for work, some personal), etc. This might be a more obscure question, but could you also tell me what 10 things you always-have/have-to-have in your bag. Maybe my premise is wrong - is 10 items too much?

Sorry, long post . . . thanks for any feedback!!

Last edited by ATLGator678; May 31, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old May 31, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Welcome to FT! In terms of your packing style, sounds like you are carrying too much. Spend some time researching the threads in this sub forum and you will find lots of helpful information.

With regards to a choice of bags, a lot depends on your budget and style. Tumi, Tom Bihn and Red Oxx (amongst many others) are three brands that will come up a lot when discussing IT equipment carry-on bags.

Check out their websites and prices and see if there is anything that makes sense.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Pete - I don't mind paying a little extra for quality and the guarantee that Tumi gives you. I'll check you the sites and other threads.

Any other suggestions/guidance?
Old May 31, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would recommend looking at Briggs and Riley rolling laptop bags as well. They just rolled out there revamped @work line. BR have one of the best warranties around.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Tumi is nice, we have some and its warranty WAS great. However, their warranty coverage for new products now isn't what it used to be, worry free for only 1st. year and limited warranty with exclusions for balance of 5 years in total.

B&R and other lines have better lifetime warranty, no questions asked or co-pay for shipping charges, etc. to deal with - depending on your budget & taste/preference. If you shop around & wait for a sale, you might strike gold or catch a nice one if it's being discontinued for a newer model release.

If you don't care for certain brands for the sake of bragging about "I got one" too - other lines like Victorinox & even eBags's own house brand, can be considered and worth taking a look at.

Perhaps something like these on wheels as you preferred:
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...24&rlid=DETAIL
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/c...uctid=10226394
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:31 pm

Pairing a rolling briefcase with a soft-sided carry on gives you lots of packing space and lets you bring both pieces on to a regional jet. I personally dislike gate checking as much or more than regular baggage checking. The key measurement for the briefcase is 8" wide, as much more than that won't fit in the overhead bin of a regional jet.

I would suggest starting with inexpensive luggage while you figure out what works best for you. This Camphor bag, for instance, is just $30.00 and lets you see how you feel about large, soft bags and convertible bags (bags with back pack straps). If you like the concept, then pay more for a bag that will last you a while with nicer features.

Personally, I think you're carrying too much, but so did I when I started traveling. Lugging heavy bags was very motivational, but I have come to accept that I will never know the zen of one bagging it to any destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.