Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Question about quality of hardside luggage....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I've always used soft-sided luggage whenever I needed to check them. I have a couple of good quality wheeled suitcases that have lasted me well over 10 years. However, for an upcoming trip, I'm worried that the suitcases might be a bit too large for the 62" requirement. After scrambling a bit, a friend gave me a set of her hardsided luggage. Quite frankly, it's the first time I "got in touch" with a hardside luggage so I didn't know what to expect, but I was somewhat surprised that the material is not really "rigid" hard like a shell, but somewhat "flappy" ABS material. It's one of those that splits open in the middle. My main concern is the placement of the side handle right next to the zipper. It looks like if you pick up the case (or pull from it like the airline gorillas do) from the side handle, tremendous stress is placed on the zipper adjacent to it, and with a little weight or force added, the zipper could very well rip in that area.
I got curious and went into my local Marshalls and looked at some hardsided cases, and was surprised to find that they're all like that - two "flexible" pieces of ABS meeting with a zipper and a handle right next to it not secured on frame.
I've only purchased my luggage overseas. Is this a general design of these hardsided cases, or perhaps I just haven't seen the real top quality ones? Is it a good idea to use a hard case for checked baggage? It seems that if it's too hard, it might crack, but if not hard enough, there's no "frame" to support where the zipper is. I'm worried that I'll have a ripped case waiting for me at the carousel....
Old May 18, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The modern hardside are great but the light ones are expensive. I have both Antler and Samsonite and cost $500 each, but perform fantastic (used to have exclusively soft-sided bags before this but they wear out every year). The zipper is incredibly strong and I've put it through a lot; it is self-repairing. I've never seen a damaged version of these bags arrive at baggage claim -- seen lots of damaged soft-side bags. The plastic is stronger than Kevlar (used for bullet proof vests) and won't crack or puncture (it does scuff). Not suitable for Antarctica (gets brittle when very cold, so -40F is not a good idea) but otherwise ideal. The lack of frame is to save weight ... very important for those airlines that have a 23kg per bag weight limit.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:21 pm

Mine doesn't have a zipper, but I do believe that the handle is connected to the "locking device" (if that's what you call it; it's one of three "clamps" that keeps the bag shut). I haven't had any problems with it.

The only issue I have with it is that it gets scuffed up pretty easy, and after one trip, the black conveyor belt marks get on it (which I'm too lazy to get rid of). Then again, my bag bright orange.
Old May 19, 2013, 2:25 pm

what hardside luggage brands do you recommend? would you take one over a similarly priced briggs&riley?
Old May 19, 2013, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

This is very good info. I did not know about the ones without zippers. I did a Google and found the Samsonite Flite spinners. They Look good - would certainly consider for checked baggage.
I think I've seen (even on more expensive bags) some poor workmanship and stitching even if the design is good. So I think I'd prefer ones with fewer seams.

Last edited by cabbage123; May 19, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by cabbage123
This is very good info. I did not know about the ones without zippers. I did a Google and found the Samsonite Flite spinners. They Look good - would certainly consider for checked baggage.
I think I've seen (even on more expensive bags) some poor workmanship and stitching even if the design is good. So I think I'd prefer ones with fewer seams.
I have the Samsonite Flite spinner (29/ or whichever is largest). It's never given me problems, except for getting slightly scuffed (but it's orange, which makes it really easy to identify).
Old May 21, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: http://thehikehouse.com
We have both.

Some of the advantages of hard side (of course it depends on the piece)

It's waterproof
it can be lighter
it's significantly easier to clean
you can stack another bag on it
it is sturdier

and soft side

expands when you need more capacity
collapses for storage
usually has outside pockets
Can have several compartments
Doesn't usually show wear as easily

We also have a hybrid bag (or did, not sure if it's in the current rotation or if it died) that has a hard bottom and sides, but a soft top to allow for the benefits of both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.