Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Salsa- Awful Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Rimowa Salsa- Awful Experience

I just have gone through my third Salsa in 5 years. I travel over 200,000 actual miles per year, all international. On my most recent trip, I lost a wheel on one flight and on another, they managed to actually put a hole in a corner of the bag.

I love the bag but cannot afford to be somewhere and actually lose use of it.

I am thinking of upgrading to the aluminum model. Or, is there another brand I should consider.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
No suggestions, just sympathy. This happened to my Salsa last year, and the hole in the corner was not repairable. After that from the airline, the taxi driver in Blackpool, England clipped the handle and didn't tell me -- I discovered that when I tried to lift the suitcase to get into the b&b. Nice cab driver. A shoe repair person fashioned a new handle. I got a used Salsa from the luggage repair store when I got back, but am about to take the same flight on Monday and am worried about this one because it has 4 wheels instead of 2 and might be more of a magnet for issues. So we both could use some suggestions. The used option from the luggage store in NJ is perfect for replacements, but doesn't help while on the trip, as you pointed out.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I should have added that Rimowa has twice replaced the suitcase without charge. But that is not good enough for me. I need something that is highly reliable.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:33 am

I assume you are referring to check-in bags?

I have the Topas (aluminium ones), but acquired it fairly recently so cannot comment on durability after multiple hundred of thousands of miles. From what I have read however, the exterior itself is more durable than the Salsa (although it will dent severely). The issue with the wheels could happen though I guess.. :S
Old May 17, 2013, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Yes, checked baggage. The wheel issue is the same with all the bags.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Went out and bought the Stealth. I decided that I cannot risk being in the middle of a trip and having the suitcase fall apart.

My luggage store said they received a letter from Rimowa recently stating that they will no longer replace the bags. They have developed a system for repairing the polycarbonate. That may be so, but it doesn't solve the basic problem.

BTW, I get all my luggage from Lexington Luggage in New York City. I have been dealing with them for 30 years. Excellent service and prices.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Yes, checked baggage. The wheel issue is the same with all the bags.
Speedbird, as you say yourself, the wheel issue is the same with all the bags. Well some are worse than others, of course. Four-wheeled spinners are more prone to breakage than 2-wheeled rollers, especially if the rolls are encased. The rolls are then also easier to replace because it is essentially an inline-skate wheel with axle. Forget about replacing a proprietary Rimowa spinner wheel on the fly.

If you really want something very reliable I suggest abandoning exterior wheels and going with a cart system. You take an ordinary suitcase without wheels or with just a pair of roller wheels. Then you take a luggage cart to transport that. This way you have redundancy in case of a roller suitcase transported with a cart. Or you have no redundancy but the luggage cart won't be in harms way because it will either serve you to wheel around your hand luggage or you will put it INSIDE the checked bag. Yes, that is a little inconvenient but it works.

Then you need a piece of luggage that is very sturdy. I'd look into Briggs and Riley and the better Eagle Creek lines. If you want hard case, think of something as light as a simple Samsonite Oyster or comparable Delsey. Or go indestructible and choose a Pelican case (heavy, though).

A Pelikan case sans wheels transported on a cart that is always with you would be the no-compromise solution. Not very elegant, not very light but rugged and smart.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.