Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel fan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Travel fan

Most of my travel in 2013 will be during the summer months and/or to warm climates. I'm trying to find a small yet powerful travel fan. I currently use a repurposed desk fan that is roughly 12" high by 8" wide by 5" thick. I'd like to find a smaller fan for a nightstand.Does anyone have any ideas or product recommendations ?

Thanks in advance =)
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:44 am

I'm pretty fond of this $8 USB-powered fan I purchased on Amazon.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:45 am

Absolutely the best.

Cannot stand the heat and with many of the European hotels without A/C, I always bring my trusty Brookstone fan. Battery powered. I usually bring 2 because they are small and lite weight but you can definitely get away with 1.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by PurpleDog
Thanks for all the info; I appreciate it.

I have tried the O2 models; the 5 or 6 inch version runs only on batteries and does not throw much air. The 10" version throws enough air but takes up a HUGE amount of space.

One thought I had was perhaps buying a 120 mm fan made for a computer and then hooking it up somehow to a battery. Would that work ?
If 120v works, then look at a Vornado Zippi. It folds down very compactly and does the job. They have a newer line called the Flippi but it looks like it's not as compact.

http://www.vornado.com/personal-circulators
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Not sure if this thread will help, it's a few years old, but some stuff may still be available

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ravel-fan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ravel-fan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...mendation.html
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I have tried the O2 models; the 5 or 6 inch version runs only on batteries and does not throw much air. The 10" version throws enough air but takes up a HUGE amount of space.

One thought I had was perhaps buying a 120 mm fan made for a computer and then hooking it up somehow to a battery. Would that work ?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by PurpleDog

Googling 120mm usb fan brings up 120mm fans with USB plugs. That would be easy to connect to USB battery backup.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:42 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
How about this usb powered o2 fan?

or this one?

The strongest portable fan is a 12v fan by Fan-Tastic. It's the same one used in RVs. While it is flat, it is also quite large. This is the one you need to get if you need to really move some air.

The o2 10" fans don't push that much air around but are slightly smaller than the Fan-Tastic.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
This would be my pick, fits on your head, solar powered. Makes you cool when you're hot, and makes you oh-so-cool just by wearing it, even when you're not hot.

Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: Independent
I always need to have moving air when I sleep, so I always travel with a fan. I too am on the lookout for a great travel fan as I have yet to find one.

A consideration you need to think about is volume vs speed. There are many compact fans out there, they throw a small volume of air very fast. Great if you need it pointed at one very specific spot, but not so great if you want to have air moving around. Plus, if you are using it in a cooled room, you often cant run it slow enough.

I currently use a 9" box fan I picked up at Wal Mart last year, it seems to be the best compromise of performance vs size. I tried those Vornados and Lasko vertical fans, they just didn't throw out a wide enough column of air - unless it was pointed straight at you, which it was then too strong. I did have a metal cage fan I picked up at Target, that was good while it lasted but took up too much room. Also gave me lots of trouble going through security.

Pay attention to the blades! Those small thin 5 bladed designs are great for fast air but it drops off quickly - I look for the wider three blade designs.

I too thought about the computer fan design, but worry about strange home built electronics going through security.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
If OP is near a Brookstone store, go check this out - http://www.brookstone.com/slim-perso...ctList|644674p

It is smallest one and very slim, compact, quiet and oscillate - no more than 13" to 15" high by 2.5" or 3" in wide & depth - so it will even fit in a 20" roller as carryon. The next bigger size is more powerful but a bit big unless you check it. Call up the store & they can give you the exact sizing info if you wanted to know before going there.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:37 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I'm with cloudship...if I travel in the US or where I can use 120V I have a Flippi V6 but if I am without 120V it's been hit or miss...and it's mostly miss...I bought a really good cheap fan in BKK at the MBK but sadly it died when I returned back the US.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:58 pm

the summer is coming

hi, guys, the summer is coming, the vacation is also coming,,
I plan to take a trip ,the weather is too hot, so what do you think of to take some necessary things ? thank you.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Independent
Should have posted this sooner, forgot about it. I have a new fan solution which is pretty good on size, albeit a bit pricey. But it works.

I bought a PC fan, this particular one: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=344&area=en. It puts out a surprising amount of air for such a small fan, and if you don't run it at full speed it is remarkably quiet, too. It comes with a little plug in speed control, but you have to order a separate Ac to 3pin molex power adapter which you can get on Amazon or through a PC parts company (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/91...tl=g47c271s670). I use one of those folding plate stands you buy at the frame store to hold it up, though the width of the fan allows it to stand up on it's own. Oh, there is no grill on teh back of the fan, that is one thing you either have to live with or find a way to create using, oh, say a laser cutter that you manage to set on fire.

Though maybe not quite as powerful as the box fan, it is a LOT smaller and quieter.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Should have posted this sooner, forgot about it. I have a new fan solution which is pretty good on size, albeit a bit pricey. But it works.

I bought a PC fan, this particular one: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=344&area=en. It puts out a surprising amount of air for such a small fan, and if you don't run it at full speed it is remarkably quiet, too. It comes with a little plug in speed control, but you have to order a separate Ac to 3pin molex power adapter which you can get on Amazon or through a PC parts company (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/91...tl=g47c271s670). I use one of those folding plate stands you buy at the frame store to hold it up, though the width of the fan allows it to stand up on it's own. Oh, there is no grill on teh back of the fan, that is one thing you either have to live with or find a way to create using, oh, say a laser cutter that you manage to set on fire.

Though maybe not quite as powerful as the box fan, it is a LOT smaller and quieter.
if I plan to go to camp, does it proper? you use it on your PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.