Wiki Posts
Search

Hardside Luggage advise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Hardside Luggage advise

Dear Experts,

I am going to make a international travel (~20hrs flight) next month and have to buy a Luggage for Check in. I would prefer to buy a lightweight Hardiside luggage.
At max i might make 1 International trip each year and not a frequent traveler. Also, i might take middle eastern flights out of US.

Please recommend me a good lightweight Hardside luggage for this purpose. Reason for going with Hardside is, i might have to carry some fragile gifts(perfume etc), which i believe will hold up better in Hardside luggage.

Budget: Less than $150

I was looking at below options, please let me know your reviews about the same and also better options if available.
1. Delsey Helium Shadow 25" - $95 - ebags.com
2. Delsey Helium Shadow 2.0 25" - $135 -> Not sure if its worth spending extra $$ for 2.0 version - dont know the advantages
3. Kirkland 29" - $150 -> Biggest problem is size. I am really worried that airlines might question the size, since its greater than 62"
4. Ricardo Beverley Hills 28" - $129 - Costco -> Not sure about its quality.

Please advise me as i am very much novice in this topic

Thanks,
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Some questions for you to help narrow it down:

How long will you be staying in each location?
Are your destinations colder climates where you may have to pack winter clothes?
Do you have status with the airlines you are flying with?
Is it a concern if you have to pay a baggage overage fee, or will your job cover that?

The above will help determine whether you need a 28-29" or a 25-26" bag. I would definitely recommend getting the smaller bag though if I were you, and maybe bring a small collapsible duffel overflow bag like the Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator.

When I first started traveling, I got a larger 29" Samsonite hard-side that has logged well over 500K miles and is still working fine. I would pack it jam full and usually be around 63lbs in weight, which was okay when I fly United as they allow me 3x bags at 70lbs each. However, when flying other airlines, they often allow 2x bags at 50lbs each or even just 1x bag at 50lbs each. So, I have one big bag at 63lbs instead of two bags at 50lbs and they still hit me for a $150 fee. Played with having two small bags instead, but that's a hassle even with a bag bungee.

Long story short, I got a 26" Samsonite Clamshell Hardside Spinner (They don't make em anymore) and managed to pack everything I really need in it this morning and it weighs in at 47lbs.

My recommendation would be for a 25-26" Samsonite hard-side. Another option would be to get the new Briggs and Riley Torq coming out soon, their first hard-side luggage line.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Look at ebags branded hard sided luggage. Price is good and there's usually a deal. We bought the larger (26" - they don't have a larger one) and it has worked very well. Torq from BR looks interesting but the price point is much higher than you quoted.

I am assuming you're looking for a new style light weight spinner rather than an old style hard sided piece.

Last edited by JMN57; Apr 6, 2013 at 8:19 am
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Samsonite recommendations

Originally Posted by brp1264
Some questions for you to help narrow it down:

How long will you be staying in each location?
Are your destinations colder climates where you may have to pack winter clothes?
Do you have status with the airlines you are flying with?
Is it a concern if you have to pay a baggage overage fee, or will your job cover that?

The above will help determine whether you need a 28-29" or a 25-26" bag. I would definitely recommend getting the smaller bag though if I were you, and maybe bring a small collapsible duffel overflow bag like the Red Oxx Extra Small Aviator.

When I first started traveling, I got a larger 29" Samsonite hard-side that has logged well over 500K miles and is still working fine. I would pack it jam full and usually be around 63lbs in weight, which was okay when I fly United as they allow me 3x bags at 70lbs each. However, when flying other airlines, they often allow 2x bags at 50lbs each or even just 1x bag at 50lbs each. So, I have one big bag at 63lbs instead of two bags at 50lbs and they still hit me for a $150 fee. Played with having two small bags instead, but that's a hassle even with a bag bungee.

Long story short, I got a 26" Samsonite Clamshell Hardside Spinner (They don't make em anymore) and managed to pack everything I really need in it this morning and it weighs in at 47lbs.

My recommendation would be for a 25-26" Samsonite hard-side. Another option would be to get the new Briggs and Riley Torq coming out soon, their first hard-side luggage line.
Hi BRP1264,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.. As JMN57 pointed out as well, B&R will definitely be out of budget for me Below are my answers to your questions:
Duration: 5 Weeks
Weater: Tropical climate
Airline status: Not a premium member
Willingness to pay more: I don't wish to pay for baggage overage fee

Can you also specify me the Model numbers for Samsonite which i need to buy?
I already have one softside luggage (25") and i would need another one.. This time i would definitely want to by a Hardside

Also, i don't see many of them recommending Delsey Hardside. Is there any specific issue with it? One problem with Delsey is the size, it is at 25" which makes it bit small.. any recommendations on Ricardo?

Thanks,

Sachbas
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I was browsing through ebags.com and found below Samsonite version:
Samsonite Winfield 2 28" Spinner - $170

Dimensions: 28" x 19" x 12"

Please let me know if this is a good choice? This is at around 13lbs according to Samsonite website.

Total Dimension = 59". Is it overall size including handles and Wheels? Emirates has a limit of 62"

Please help!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

Okay, noted on your price point, weather requirements, and desire to avoid baggage overage fees.

With your price point, you will not be able to get any of the higher-end fancy hard-sides. If you were a frequent traveler, I'd definitely recommend re-thinking your budget, but as you aren't, it should be okay. When I first started traveling extensively with my job, I bought a cheap set of luggage and it feel apart quickly. Major regret there. That being said, you can still get decently priced luggage that has good quality for a non-frequent traveler.

I would say that to avoid the fees, do NOT get anything bigger than 26". Trust me on this, if you have a hard-side 28" bag, and you pack it full, it will be >50lbs. Probably closer to 60-65lbs packed full. If you don't intend to pack it full, then you don't need a bag that big and can go with the 25-26". If you do need to bring so many clothes and items that you need that big of a bag, then you need to accept you will be hit with baggage overage fees.

As you are traveling to tropical environments, I think you are okay with a 26". I just landed in Beijing yesterday for a 1 month trip around China with one 26" hard-side Samsonite bag. I was able to get plenty of clothes in there, by following the following packing strategy:

• 14 pairs of socks and 14 underwear in a compressible air-tight zipped travel bag.
  • Spare hankeys, 2x sets of workout clothes, bathing suit, undershirts, etc.. in another compressible air-tight zipped bag.
  • 1 toiletry kit
  • 15x or more granola/protein bars and some gum
  • An Eagle Creek 18" travel folder with 11 collared shirts
  • 7 or so t-shirts
  • 1x shoe bag with small steel-toed shoes and some hand tools inside the shoes
  • Some Fedex envelopes, shipping sleeves, and spare papers
  • 1x spare air-tight compression bag for dirty clothes

I was able to get all that in there comfortably and it weighed in at 47lbs - so it gives me 3lbs of cushion if I have to bring back anything heavy or pack some clothes that are wet. I Should actually come back lighter as i won't have all the protein bars and the toiletries will be more empty.

So, the big thing is what bag is right for you? Well the Samsonite 26" hard-side spinners are all >$200 now, so unless you grab one on sale, you'll have to go for something else. If you can spring it, grab this one. If not, perhaps this one will do.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Wow, seriously? Fourteen pair of socks and underwear, eleven shirts, etc? No way in the world would I travel like that.

Check out the ebags.com EXO line, there are only two hard-side bags and you should choose the larger 24-inch one. The comments above regarding size are exactly correct, choose no larger than 24 to 26-inch for any length trip where you need to check a bag. And minimize the number of shoes you pack, they run up the weight of a bag quickly. Always wear your heaviest/bulkiest shoes on the plane.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Dianne47
Wow, seriously? Fourteen pair of socks and underwear, eleven shirts, etc? No way in the world would I travel like that ... And minimize the number of shoes you pack, they run up the weight of a bag quickly. Always wear your heaviest/bulkiest shoes on the plane.
+1 ^ on this !
On extended oversea trips in Asia, I bring a single 25" Delsey that's usually 45 to 50 lbs. fully loaded, including a pair of size 12 shoes. There's enough for 6 to 8 days of the basics: shirts, trousers & casual pants, tees and underwear, etc. and extra (fleece jacket, usually for multi-use) tropical items. Hardside ones are prone to dents & scratches, regardless of branding so be prepared for filing claims with the luggage office upon arrival - not good if you have a tight schedule to follow. Softside ones will work just as well if the fragile items are well packaged & protected in layers, or take them as carryons depending on your allowance & FT status with the carrier(s).

Whether I'm in China, Hong Kong or Vietnam - I look/walk/learn to ask & find out from locals the inexpensive "wet" laundry places that charged by the kg or pounds, wash & fold/same day AM/PM or next day services, and get it smelling fresh & clean, often good as pressed - dirt cheap ... about $50 HKD or $6.50 USD for 12 lbs. worth of soiled clothes - hotels would charged by the pieces at $$$. When it's done, I'm good for another 4 to 6 days and not "transporting" dirty laundry from cities to cities. These places will usually do the starch & ironing for a nominal charge, and do minor tailoring or alternations as needed on the spot in minutes.

And, it never hurt to toss in some laundry powder or 2 packets of Woolite for the washables, except that it doesn't always work well in the tropical humidity environment ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Apr 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264
Okay, noted on your price point, weather requirements, and desire to avoid baggage overage fees.

With your price point, you will not be able to get any of the higher-end fancy hard-sides. If you were a frequent traveler, I'd definitely recommend re-thinking your budget, but as you aren't, it should be okay. When I first started traveling extensively with my job, I bought a cheap set of luggage and it feel apart quickly. Major regret there. That being said, you can still get decently priced luggage that has good quality for a non-frequent traveler.

I would say that to avoid the fees, do NOT get anything bigger than 26". Trust me on this, if you have a hard-side 28" bag, and you pack it full, it will be >50lbs. Probably closer to 60-65lbs packed full. If you don't intend to pack it full, then you don't need a bag that big and can go with the 25-26". If you do need to bring so many clothes and items that you need that big of a bag, then you need to accept you will be hit with baggage overage fees.

As you are traveling to tropical environments, I think you are okay with a 26". I just landed in Beijing yesterday for a 1 month trip around China with one 26" hard-side Samsonite bag. I was able to get plenty of clothes in there, by following the following packing strategy:

• 14 pairs of socks and 14 underwear in a compressible air-tight zipped travel bag.
  • Spare hankeys, 2x sets of workout clothes, bathing suit, undershirts, etc.. in another compressible air-tight zipped bag.
  • 1 toiletry kit
  • 15x or more granola/protein bars and some gum
  • An Eagle Creek 18" travel folder with 11 collared shirts
  • 7 or so t-shirts
  • 1x shoe bag with small steel-toed shoes and some hand tools inside the shoes
  • Some Fedex envelopes, shipping sleeves, and spare papers
  • 1x spare air-tight compression bag for dirty clothes

I was able to get all that in there comfortably and it weighed in at 47lbs - so it gives me 3lbs of cushion if I have to bring back anything heavy or pack some clothes that are wet. I Should actually come back lighter as i won't have all the protein bars and the toiletries will be more empty.

So, the big thing is what bag is right for you? Well the Samsonite 26" hard-side spinners are all >$200 now, so unless you grab one on sale, you'll have to go for something else. If you can spring it, grab this one. If not, perhaps this one will do.
Still traveling in Brasil, and after a few laps swimming this evening, I sat down and read your post in FT.

Wow ! That is an amazing amount of items to pack. I assume you have to plan out an do a bit of laundry on the way.

I find that over the years I still pack light, emphasis on lightweight suits, and nylon or linen shirts. They get dry cleaned overnight, when ever I get the chance, along with the hour of laundry, whilst reading a book or tablet.
I've learned not to rely on every hotel keeping stock of shampoo, and good laundry soap, so I pack a travel supply along. Soap in a zip bag, and what I like in the way of body wash-shampoo, which is Dr. Bronners.

That is an amazing amount of socks ! I do pack a fewer amount ( around 8 pair ) which with washing is adequate for a month or more., Given pool and shower floor sanitation in hotels, I keep them packed separated from underwear in different coloured zip shirt bags. And a zip bag pair of Havaiaanas or beach zoriis: My last pair from 2010 purchased in Fortaleza are still going strong !
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Hardside Luggage advise

Hi brp1264,

Thank you for your valuable advise. I was able to find a deal on Samsonite Gravtec 28" in an outlet store in NY. It was priced at $160, which is almost 20% off from regular sale price. I liked the design of bag and went ahead and brought it. Even on eBags it is priced at $197.

Any comments on Samsonite Gravtec 28" ?? It looks to be very spacious and i am planning to dump all the clothes and some soft toys which i brought as gift in this bag Hopefully it should stay within 50lbs.

I also need to buy another bag for myself and i am thinking about your earlier suggestion of Samsonite Cruisair Bold 26" and also Delsey helium 26".

Since Delsey is cheaper of the two, i might actually go with Delsey. Any comments on the quality of Delsey Helium? is it spacious enough for hold enough luggage?
I see this to be priced at $110 and weighs 11lbs. This looks attractive to me.
Only thing i would be worried is quality and space

Please advise. Thanks again for all of your inputs.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Wow, seriously? Fourteen pair of socks and underwear, eleven shirts, etc? No way in the world would I travel like that.

Check out the ebags.com EXO line, there are only two hard-side bags and you should choose the larger 24-inch one. The comments above regarding size are exactly correct, choose no larger than 24 to 26-inch for any length trip where you need to check a bag. And minimize the number of shoes you pack, they run up the weight of a bag quickly. Always wear your heaviest/bulkiest shoes on the plane.
I work 12+ hour days, 7 days a week in the road. This past week I have been in Beijing China (Monday - Wednesday), then traveled to Qingdao (Wednesday to Friday), and now am in Bumble-f Shantou, China. I have never been to these places, and working and traveling all week makes getting laundry done or doing it myself a real PIA. Further, most laundry places are open during business hours... When I work 7am-7pm, that ain't gonna fly! Further, in Qingdao and Shantou English is NOT readily spoken anywhere but the hotels. To combat this type of travel and workload, I pack a crapload of clothes so I can go two weeks w/o laundry if I need to. I am able to get it all in one bag that is <26" and <50 lbs, so it suits me well. I am in fact putting laundry in at the hotel tomorrow as I am told by colleagues there are no local places in the area and I don't feel like spending hours at night wandering around this city to find a laundry place that may or may not be open and may or may not speak any English.

As far as shoes go, sometimes I bring a light pair of trainers for my bag, and always wear a regular pair of sketchers that I during travel and work. For this trip, I had to bring steel toe shoes for some work I need to do out here. These went in my bag as I'm not traveling with steel toe shoes as they aren't comfortable and make airport security a pain as they're steel toe and not slip on/off.

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Still traveling in Brasil, and after a few laps swimming this evening, I sat down and read your post in FT.

Wow ! That is an amazing amount of items to pack. I assume you have to plan out an do a bit of laundry on the way.

I find that over the years I still pack light, emphasis on lightweight suits, and nylon or linen shirts. They get dry cleaned overnight, when ever I get the chance, along with the hour of laundry, whilst reading a book or tablet.
I've learned not to rely on every hotel keeping stock of shampoo, and good laundry soap, so I pack a travel supply along. Soap in a zip bag, and what I like in the way of body wash-shampoo, which is Dr. Bronners.

That is an amazing amount of socks ! I do pack a fewer amount ( around 8 pair ) which with washing is adequate for a month or more., Given pool and shower floor sanitation in hotels, I keep them packed separated from underwear in different coloured zip shirt bags. And a zip bag pair of Havaiaanas or beach zoriis: My last pair from 2010 purchased in Fortaleza are still going strong !
Agree with you on continuing to gather clothes and items that are lighter. I am doing the same, and have all quarter cut socks that are small and light. That many socks takes up very little weight and bulk.

Ditto on the hotel amenities. I used to pack my own stuff, but I figured I'd give what the hotel has a shot this go around. The Marriott in Beijing had good stuff, the Crowne Plaza in Qingdao was okay, but the Meritus hotel here has some crappy stuff. Oh well, I'll deal for the next few weeks and bring some good stuff with me the next go around.

Originally Posted by sachbas
Hi brp1264,

Thank you for your valuable advise. I was able to find a deal on Samsonite Gravtec 28" in an outlet store in NY. It was priced at $160, which is almost 20% off from regular sale price. I liked the design of bag and went ahead and brought it. Even on eBags it is priced at $197.

Any comments on Samsonite Gravtec 28" ?? It looks to be very spacious and i am planning to dump all the clothes and some soft toys which i brought as gift in this bag Hopefully it should stay within 50lbs.

I also need to buy another bag for myself and i am thinking about your earlier suggestion of Samsonite Cruisair Bold 26" and also Delsey helium 26".

Since Delsey is cheaper of the two, i might actually go with Delsey. Any comments on the quality of Delsey Helium? is it spacious enough for hold enough luggage?
I see this to be priced at $110 and weighs 11lbs. This looks attractive to me.
Only thing i would be worried is quality and space

Please advise. Thanks again for all of your inputs.
The gravtec should be okay if you plan to pack it up with soft toys. A large hard-side is always a good bet if you can pack it full and either are not concerned about overage charges or are packing it with light items that won't push you over 50lbs. For regular travel though, I think it is just too big and haven't used my 28" bag in many months. I now only use it if I have a lot of items to bring to site for a job and don't want to two-bag it.

Not sure on the Delsey quality - wish I could help you out more. I have one Delsey bag that's with the wife now and doesn't get much use. It's held up thusfar, but hasn't logged that many miles at all.

Good luck to you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.